Should Bure's Jersey be Retired?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Should Pavel Bure's #10 should be retire?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 14

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Re: Should Bure's Jersey be Retired?

Post by ukcanuck »

This is boring, let's count Stanley cup titles instead!! :) :). ...oh wait
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

I always find these debates about retired numbers to be somewhat amusing. You should take a look at some of the other numbers teams have retired. It's not unusual to have a stinker or two in there, for various reasons. Buffalo retired Tim Horton's number even though he only played with the team for two seasons, I guess, simply because he died, but they didn't retire it until 1996!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_N ... ed_numbers

Some people set the bar pretty damn high considering Glen Wesley has his number hanging in the rafters, someone who struggled to even be selected for an All Star Team (think Linden and Smyl - he's pretty comparable).

A player obviously doesn't have to be hall of fame caliber to have his number retired, and I don't have an issue with the team considering other intangibles to receive that honor.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

It could be worse.. we could be like the Wild and retire #1 for the Fans.

BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Island Nucklehead wrote:It could be worse.. we could be like the Wild and retire #1 for the Fans.
The Canucks would never do anything that stupid and regrettable.

Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

BurningBeard wrote:I always find these debates about retired numbers to be somewhat amusing. You should take a look at some of the other numbers teams have retired. It's not unusual to have a stinker or two in there, for various reasons. Buffalo retired Tim Horton's number even though he only played with the team for two seasons, I guess, simply because he died, but they didn't retire it until 1996!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_N ... ed_numbers

Some people set the bar pretty damn high considering Glen Wesley has his number hanging in the rafters, someone who struggled to even be selected for an All Star Team (think Linden and Smyl - he's pretty comparable).

A player obviously doesn't have to be hall of fame caliber to have his number retired, and I don't have an issue with the team considering other intangibles to receive that honor.
Not to mention that there is a practice to un-retire a number if a new player comes along one day that merits it.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

BurningBeard wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:It could be worse.. we could be like the Wild and retire #1 for the Fans.
The Canucks would never do anything that stupid and regrettable.

lol maybe that's why Booth hasn't worked out here... high expectations taking the 7th Man's #