Sedins sign 4-year extensions

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Sedins sign 4-year extensions

Post by mathonwy »

Diehard1 wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
The_Pauser wrote: Can I get some credit for calling it a terrible blunder since Day 1?
No because you have been slagging them for 13 years.

They have continually proven you wrong and no doubt will again.

They were on a 70-point pace up until 2 months ago (first half of the season = 41 games).

At lot of Canuck fans have been worried sick about them for 2 months.

YOU have been worried sick about them since 2001.

NO CREDIT FOR YOU!!

NEXT!!!
Two years ago Ryan getzlaf had 57 points in 82 games. This year he has 67 in 57.

Two years ago Corey Perry had 60 points in 80 games. This year he has 60 in 61.

People have off years. I know we've been spoiled by the twins for 8 seasons of a point a game, but it doesn't happen very often. They were great for the first 20 games before a big drop off, Hank is injured and Daniel has had treatment almost every game for some mystery injury. They will come back stronger next year.

What?!?!? A voice of reason? Damn you Diehard1 (was Diehard taken?) for trying to introduce logic into an issue when clearly raw unfiltered emotion is needed.. Take your damn pitchfork and stop being so dissentious.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

I have Diehard too but forgot my password. Been through a few iterations of this site and a couple of others so I forget what I was using. Guess that's what happens when you're coming up on 20 years of posting.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Diehard1 wrote:I have Diehard too but forgot my password. Been through a few iterations of this site and a couple of others so I forget what I was using. Guess that's what happens when you're coming up on 20 years of posting.
A real Diehard..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Mëds wrote:What the fuck is in your pipe Reef? Daniel hasn't scored a goal in 21+ games and is completely pointless in 11 games.
Is it OK if I point out that Daniel had five points in six games at the Olympics which was more than any other forward on the Swedish team? :eh:

Maybe it's the supporting cast that is the problem? :mex:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Per wrote:
Mëds wrote:What the fuck is in your pipe Reef? Daniel hasn't scored a goal in 21+ games and is completely pointless in 11 games.
Is it OK if I point out that Daniel had five points in six games at the Olympics which was more than any other forward on the Swedish team? :eh:

Maybe it's the supporting cast that is the problem? :mex:
And he was completely invisible against the Canadian defense which played a solid system that was very similar to the systems employed by the NHL's best defensive teams.

To be fair, the entire Swedish team looked like they would rather be anywhere else. When the play-by-play guys mentioned that it seemed like a moral victory for Sweden to even control the puck across center to the Canadian blueline, he wasn't far wrong.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

The problem in comparing Daniel's slump to Getzlaf and Perry's, is that Getzlaf and Perry are/were still in their mid 20's during that slump. Furthermore, they had proven themselves to be clutch playoff performers.

Daniel and Henrik are not at an ideal age, and both players have never been playoff beasts (out of all the years that we've seen them play in the playoffs, the San Jose series from 2011 is really the only series where they exceeded/equalled their regular season play).

The bottom line? I don't comparing the twins' slump to Getzlaf and Perry's from a few years ago is an appropriate one.

Even if the twins do rediscover their games next year, I fail to see any reason why I should believe they would lead us when we need them the most come playoff time.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

The Brown Knight wrote:The problem in comparing Daniel's slump to Getzlaf and Perry's, is that Getzlaf and Perry are/were still in their mid 20's during that slump. Furthermore, they had proven themselves to be clutch playoff performers.

Daniel and Henrik are not at an ideal age, and both players have never been playoff beasts (out of all the years that we've seen them play in the playoffs, the San Jose series from 2011 is really the only series where they exceeded/equalled their regular season play).

The bottom line? I don't comparing the twins' slump to Getzlaf and Perry's from a few years ago is an appropriate one.

Even if the twins do rediscover their games next year, I fail to see any reason why I should believe they would lead us when we need them the most come playoff time.
Markus Naslunds' game went south rapidly like this. He even had a nasty head shot that seemed to be the trigger.

Maybe there's something about O'vik natives and headshots :crazy:
If you need air...call it in
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Markus Naslunds' game went south rapidly like this. He even had a nasty head shot that seemed to be the trigger.

I thought it was a shoulder/elbow injury that derailed Naslund's career. Headshot no doubt compounded things. Naslund's patented wrist shot disappeared after that.

No doubt the roughing up they've received since 2010 and the lack of calls received since 2011 has contributed to their decline in the sense that they are not going to the front of the net near as much. Who can blame them when it's clear that it's open season on the twins with the refs' whistles in their pockets?

Biggest problem they have IMO is that opposition coaches and players have caught up and figured them out. Their play has stagnated in the sense that they are trying to do the same things they used to do, but teams are defending them better and they haven't innovated. Couple that with an evident lack of confidence and we're seeing what we're seeing. Someone has to sequester them inside a room with a white board and a video editing suite until they brainstorm new tactics for their success on ice. They're smart guys, so this should not be impossible for them. They just have to do it. Maybe Torts has to stop pussy-footing around them and challenge them to change the way they play. Not to the point of crashing around the crease, but something has to change.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Strangelove wrote:
The_Pauser wrote: Can I get some credit for calling it a terrible blunder since Day 1?

They were on a 70-point pace up until 2 months ago (first half of the season = 41 games).

NO CREDIT FOR YOU!!

NEXT!!!
So we're just going to ignore that they've been on a decline since 2011? mmmkay....
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Lancer wrote: Biggest problem they have IMO is that opposition coaches and players have caught up and figured them out. Their play has stagnated in the sense that they are trying to do the same things they used to do, but teams are defending them better and they haven't innovated. Couple that with an evident lack of confidence and we're seeing what we're seeing. Someone has to sequester them inside a room with a white board and a video editing suite until they brainstorm new tactics for their success on ice. They're smart guys, so this should not be impossible for them. They just have to do it. Maybe Torts has to stop pussy-footing around them and challenge them to change the way they play. Not to the point of crashing around the crease, but something has to change.
And this is the reason why I went off on the whole mentorship thing a couple months ago. These guys aren't going to figure it out themselves. The coaching staff obviously can't figure it out either and they can draw as many X's and O's on the board but Torts isn't on the ice during a power play.

In my opinion, to jump the start the twins, you need a player, old or young, doesn't matter, to be on that right wing that'll start barking plays at the twins. To start challenging them to be in the right spots. To give em shit when they aren't. You need a strong personality player to hold the Sedins accountable for when they make shitty plays.

Right now, nobody is getting in Hank's face for killing their overtime power play last game. Maybe Torts is but it's easy to tune Torts out.

The dynamic needs to change in the dressing room and I think perhaps that C needs to be passed on. Hank's had a good run but it's not working anymore.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

The_Pauser wrote:
So we're just going to ignore that they've been on a decline since 2011? mmmkay....
Nah, we're just going to ignore you (or at least try). That'll be easier.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Markus Naslunds' game went south rapidly like this. He even had a nasty head shot that seemed to be the trigger.

lol, perhaps.

Thing with Naslund though, is that he still played pretty well a year or two after that. If I recall correctly, Naslund was still pretty decent in 2005-2006, but Bertuzzi was the one that had really declined. Naslund's decline started to happen in 2006/2007.

With regards to Daniel, I don't think he was overly terrible last year (I haven't checked the stats..........just going with my gut here).

So in both these instances - I don't think we can use the headshot as a point of trigger for rapid decline in play. I think it has more to do with age.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

The Brown Knight wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote: Markus Naslunds' game went south rapidly like this. He even had a nasty head shot that seemed to be the trigger.

lol, perhaps.

Thing with Naslund though, is that he still played pretty well a year or two after that. If I recall correctly, Naslund was still pretty decent in 2005-2006, but Bertuzzi was the one that had really declined. Naslund's decline started to happen in 2006/2007.

With regards to Daniel, I don't think he was overly terrible last year (I haven't checked the stats..........just going with my gut here).

So in both these instances - I don't think we can use the headshot as a point of trigger for rapid decline in play. I think it has more to do with age.
Naslund just never looked like the same player after that hit. But it's tough to judge because not long after that hit he lost his wing-man when Bert retaliated and KO'd Moore. He ended up having shoulder problems too, which contributed to the decline of his wrist shot.....and that shot was the foundation of his offensive game. After Bert came back Crawford often broke up Naslund and Bertuzzi in hopes of distributing the offense. Neither of them played the same again.

What made absolutely no sense was the fact that 2005-06 was the first year that the Sedins cracked 70 points. Naslund led the way with 79, then Hank, then Bert, then Daniel. Carter was 5th as that was the year that he played with the twins. So Crow was moving Bert around from the top line to the 3rd line, slotting him in at center some nights, and just mishandling the entire top 6. Our defense was so fucking bad on top of it all that we couldn't hold a lead.

Then Naslund was set to play with the Sedins after Bertuzzi was traded and Vigneault took over. That didn't work at all because the Sedins can't create off of the rush and Naslund, one of the best scoring wingers of the last 4-5 years (at the time), couldn't figure out what to do with the endless cycle. I remember Markus even being the guy at the net.....lol. The drama that revolved around Bertuzzi, and the playoff failures, all of the pressure drove Naslund out of Vancouver as his numbers dipped.

With the Sedins the game has changed and people are wise to them. They are declining partly due to age and partly due to not being able to adapt their game. Daniel's game has steadily dropped off since Keith gave him a concussion. But that was also the season that teams had increasingly stepped up against the Sedins and played a defense that was designed to shut them down.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

The_Pauser wrote:So we're just going to ignore that they've been on a decline since 2011? mmmkay....
When the sedins were dominating beginning half of the season when they were healthy, the pauser kept his mouth shut, as soon they got hurt and weren't scoring pauster comes around and starts bitching once again. smh
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

The_Pauser wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

NO CREDIT FOR YOU!!

NEXT!!!
No, we're just going to accept the fact they're likely 70 point guys now moving forward....
____
Try to focus on someday.