Sedins sign 4-year extensions

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Sedins sign 4-year extensions

Post by BurningBeard »

4 years, $7m per cap hit. Hasn't hit all the main sites yet (just hit TSN).

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=435597
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
dbr
CC Legend

Re: Sedins sign 4-year extensions

Post by dbr »

Sweetheart deal. I guess Mike Gillis took TheBrownKnights studies to heart.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Yes!

Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

The team may have just avoided extending another franchise embarrassment 20 more years of not having a 1,000 point scorer. Not that it's any guarantee Henrik will get 190 points in the next 4 years but if this deal was not signed, there's no 1,000 point player in sight. This may not be important to many (of course a lack of a Cup is the ultimage embarrassment) but it's sad we'll have 4 retired jerseys tomorrow (though some deserving) and no 1,000 point player, which to me legitimizes a franchise forward. Man would it have sucked to see Hank or Dank break hit the milestone wearing a [blank] jersey.

So one potential embarrassment avoided, now it's up to MG or the next GM to get some help for the Twins to end the other big embarrassment.
Last edited by Nuckertuzzi on Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Sweet deal and term!

Glad to see these boys stay here for another 4.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Groovypippin
CC Veteran

Post by Groovypippin »

dbr wrote:Sweetheart deal. I guess Mike Gillis took TheBrownKnights studies to heart.
Thank you. I have a cold and I needed a good laugh this morning.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

Good deal...the right money and term. Cap will be going up, so these deals will look better over time. With their durability and commitment to fitness, the Sedin's should remain top tier players for a few years yet.

Now...bring us a Cup boys!
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Wow. I'm amazed these guys continue to take hometown discounts. I kind of felt like they might hold out for more.

I think it's a fair deal considering the term and their age. While I don't think their games will fall off a cliff soon, father time will eventually catch up. Paying 7-8 mill for a 40-50 point producing 38/39 year old is tough to swallow in a cap world.

Still, they probably could have got that deal if they waited to enter the UFA market. Classy guys all the way.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

rockalt wrote:Wow. I'm amazed these guys continue to take hometown discounts. I kind of felt like they might hold out for more.
The Sedin's are loyal and are more interested in being a part of a contender rather than fading off into the sunset for a mediocre team.

As I explained in my analysis' from the other thread, a true championship contending team will make their players "buy in", and sign contracts to a relatively cost-effective price (I say 'relatively' because I expect many players in the not-so-distant future to receive significantly larger contracts than the twins).

With more 'play money', it is my hope that the Canucks can allocate that money for a 'Steve Ott' type guy to play on their 3rd line at some point in the future (around the same time that guys like Shinkaruk and Horvat 'crack' the line-up and become impact players).

This team has another potential window..............IF guys like Shinkaruk, Horvat, and Kassian can become impact players while the twins and Kesler continue to perform at their current level of play.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

I think it's a pretty good deal. $7mil at age 37 might be over-paying a bit, but, it does give us a solid core for the next few years, and there's no drama!!!! Good job GMMG.

p.s. sorry to all the lazy reporters who won't have a story about the Twins hitting the open market next summer, and all the "spin" the TSN analysts won't get to make on the non-story.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

The Brown Knight wrote:
rockalt wrote:Wow. I'm amazed these guys continue to take hometown discounts. I kind of felt like they might hold out for more.
The Sedin's are loyal and are more interested in being a part of a contender rather than fading off into the sunset for a mediocre team.
I agree Farhan but do you honestly think the Canucks are contenders? I mean they've had a good start to the year but I don't think we can honestly say this team warrants contender status as it did around 2010 - 2012.

The team may prove to be one of the elites (hopefully) however at the time of the signing, it's no sure bet. Amazing loyalty shown by the Sedins yet again.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I like the term. I guess MG could have tried for a 5-6 year deal with the last two years being at 5 million to try and lower the cap hit but I think if we have the twins for four more years at the level they are at now we are blessed. Would have hated to have 2 add on years as an anchor.

Good deal for both sides. I'd say in the absence of rebuilding the core over the next four years we have a definite window now. MG has this core pretty well locked up for that time period. His biggest challenge now is to start getting players into the system to keep us competitive and begin the slow transition of life without the twin.

Gives the younger players a very clear window of opportunity now.
The only HW the Canucks need
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Hockey Widow wrote:I like the term. I guess MG could have tried for a 5-6 year deal with the last two years being at 5 million to try and lower the cap hit but I think if we have the twins for four more years at the level they are at now we are blessed. Would have hated to have 2 add on years as an anchor.

Good deal for both sides. I'd say in the absence of rebuilding the core over the next four years we have a definite window now. MG has this core pretty well locked up for that time period. His biggest challenge now is to start getting players into the system to keep us competitive and begin the slow transition of life without the twin.

Gives the younger players a very clear window of opportunity now.
Good on the bros. and GMMG. Loyality does still exist in this day and league.

Whose to say that after 2 year we sign them again for 2 more at 5 mil? If they remain impact players until then (as it was pointed out, their fitness is Viking-like).
Selänee has made himself a scorer into his 40's....
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

rockalt wrote: I agree Farhan but do you honestly think the Canucks are contenders? I mean they've had a good start to the year but I don't think we can honestly say this team warrants contender status as it did around 2010 - 2012.

The team may prove to be one of the elites (hopefully) however at the time of the signing, it's no sure bet. Amazing loyalty shown by the Sedins yet again.
This year..........not likely. I think the Canucks are very similar to their 2006-2007 level right now, in that, they are overachieving but will most likely be eliminated in the 1st or 2nd round.

However - as we saw at the beginning of the 2008/09 season, the team really jumped as a result of their young guys kicking in..........and I think if guys like Horvat, Shinkaruk, and Kassian can become impact players while the twins, Kesler, and Lou can maintain their current levels of play, then we'll be back at our 2010-2012 window once again.

I think the Canucks could be a team not to be reckoned with, sometime between 2014 and 2017.......if the above occurs. Our 2015/2016 season could be an extremely interesting one.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

[quote="rockalt"]Wow. I'm amazed these guys continue to take hometown discounts. quote]

Not to pick on your post, but I find the whole concept of "hometown discount" absurd.

What are they giving up? They have 4 more years at $7 million per...and have earned more money than they'll ever need. They are the highest paid players on their team, in a city they love and is home for their families. The team is competetive and they like their teammates.

Theoretically, if money was the only object, they might have gotten more from another team. But does anyone really think they would have taken $8 million a year from some other team? Not a chance imo. They wanted to stay here and the deal is good for both sides.

The contract is "fair value". Period.