Sedins sign 4-year extensions

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Sedins sign 4-year extensions

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:Well, it looks like we won't be winning the Cup anytime soon. Oh well.

Who were they going to sign this summer ? Who were they going to bring in that puts up over a ppg regular season and close to that in the playoffs for a combined cap hit of 14 million.
Marian Gaborik and Mike Cammalleri :lol:
darren
CC Veteran

Post by darren »

So, this is one possibility for next year (assuming Booth bought out). Cap space is tight, but presumably the cap will go up... if it goes up a lot then we'd have more money to spend. How should it be spent? Is this lineup good? Good enough to win? Even against a contender like the leaves? :D How can it be improved?

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m)
Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m) / Mike Santorelli ($2.000m) / Zack Kassian ($1.500m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Bo Horvat ($1.775m) / Jannik Hansen ($2.500m)
Hunter Shinkaruk ($1.138m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Dale Weise ($0.788m)
Tom Sestito ($0.750m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)
Ryan Stanton ($0.550m) / Chris Tanev ($2.000m)
Frank Corrado ($0.599m) /
GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
Eddie Lack ($0.893m)
OTHER
Buyout: David Booth ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,675,278; BONUSES: $1,070,833
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): -$304,444
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

^^^ I think it's safe to assume the cap will be about $5m higher than that Darwin...
sagebrush wrote:% of the team's cap for ea Sedin, from new contract in 2009/10 to next contract in 2014/15

yr: sedin cap: team cap: %: notes
9/10 6.1M$ 56.8M$ 10.7 new contract
12/13 6.1M$ 70.2M$ 8.7
13/14 6.1M$ 64.3M$ 9.5
14/15 7M$ 64.3$ 10.9 new contract, projected cap

Consistent is the word.
I notice your link is from before last season.

Lately most cap projections are higher than that.

Most are saying the cap will be close to $70m next season and reach $80m by 2017-18.

Here's Friedman from this past August:
http://www.thescore.com/nhl/articles/12 ... four-years

The NHL's salary cap could go up to $80 million within the next four years, according to Elliotte Friedman of CBC Sports.

Speaking on Sportsnet 590 The Fan's "Prime Time Sports", Friedman said some within the sport expect the cap to rise to that level prior to the 2017-18 NHL season.
If true...

17-18 season... $7m salary... $80m cap = 8.75% :mex:

Anyhoo, great day for Canuck fans!

Nice to have 2 superstars who choo-choo-choose our team to the point of a hometown discount. :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

The_Pauser wrote:Well, it looks like we won't be winning the Cup anytime soon. Oh well.
CRIKEY! I haven't seen this much hatred since... almost everyone... went off on this guy:

____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

dbr wrote:Sweetheart deal. I guess Mike Gillis took TheBrownKnights studies to heart.
Do I detect a hint of sarcasm Dave? :hmmm:
____
Try to focus on someday.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Nuckertuzzi wrote:
The Brown Knight wrote:Bring in one good shut down center or top 6 winger with the freed up cap space next year, and I think that's pretty much all we need.

For a Cup?!? Not a chance, we need way more than that. We still have a goalie whom I'm very happy with in the reg season but can't trust at all in the playoffs and unless Lu demands a trade again our goaltending won't change anytime soon. We added a top 6 player last year and still got swept in the first round. We don't have a true stud d-man that almost every Cup team has. Our top scorers are still way too inconsistent with their production in the playoffs. Should I go on??...

To me the only way this team will be a true contender again is by having at the very least 3 or 4 legitimate scoring threats emerge, to take the pressure of the Twins and Kes, not unlike what's happening down in San Jose where people don't focus on Thornton and Marleau anymore. They've added so much depth in the past couple years with homegrown talent, but yet they still don't have a Cup so what's it going to take for us?? Even if the Kassians, Shinkaruks and Horvats do reach the level of Couture/Pavelski/Hertl, it has to happen soon if it happens at all, not 3-4 years from now. There's no hope of landing a Norris type d-man anytime soon and as mentioned we'll have to live with our goaltending warts in the playoffs for the unforeseeable future so to me the only way we can get over the hump is by adding a lot of depth to be able to outscore our deficiencies. Right now we're nowhere near that and while a top-6 plus forward or a shutdown center can certainly improve the team, it's not even close to enough to make us a contender.
A legit bottom 6 center or a top 6 winger.......PLUS Shinkaruk, Horvat, and Kassian becoming significant impact players (I.e. taking a solid leap in their games to the point where they'd be fairly close to realizing their potential). That, along with the twins, Kes, and Lou, playing at their current level, is what I think will make us contenders again.

That is my opinion.

A 3rd line center or a top 6 winger in and itself alone is not enough IMO.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Eye Bags deserves extra credit for the timing of the announcement. He is giving a big FUCK YOU to the Leaves and the CBC by signing players the Leaves wanted and would have pursued next summer and for having the game on at 4:00 . Steal the thunder from Canada's team and their cheerleaders at CBC. :drink:

Eat that Nonis .........no it isn't a cheeseburger.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Nuckertuzzi wrote:The team may have just avoided extending another franchise embarrassment 20 more years of not having a 1,000 point scorer. Not that it's any guarantee Henrik will get 190 points in the next 4 years but if this deal was not signed, there's no 1,000 point player in sight. This may not be important to many (of course a lack of a Cup is the ultimage embarrassment) but it's sad we'll have 4 retired jerseys tomorrow (though some deserving) and no 1,000 point player, which to me legitimizes a franchise forward. Man would it have sucked to see Hank or Dank break hit the milestone wearing a [blank] jersey.

So one potential embarrassment avoided, now it's up to MG or the next GM to get some help for the Twins to end the other big embarrassment.
I guess it's a good thing that Hank has nearly 5 seasons to get 190 points.

I'm gonna say he hits the 1000 point mark by December of year 3 of this contract.....if not before.

Honestly though, I don't care about that as much as I want to see him and Danny sporting some hefty jewelry on their fingers.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:

Who were they going to sign this summer ? Who were they going to bring in that puts up over a ppg regular season and close to that in the playoffs for a combined cap hit of 14 million.
Nobody. The highchair GM would have us let our two best players walk, pressure everyone else with a movement clause to waive it so we can deal them for cents on the dollar, go through several seasons in one of the highest priced markets in the league with tens of millions in cap space and a roster that wouldn't be a sure thing to win the Calder Cup all so we could have a decent-to-good shot at drafting players who could drag the franchise back to respectability half a decade from now.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Now Gillis just needs to see if Darcy Regier is interested in Booth and Schroeder in exchange for Ehrhoff. :P
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Glad this didn't drag on any longer. Wonder if Gillis saw the Twins' play this season so far as an indication that it would be better to sign them sooner rather than later? Still, it's a good term and a good hit. You can't replicate their production at that price. The Sedins keep taking away possible reasons to hate on them.

No reason they can't follow the Alfredsson/Selanne model and play a smart game that allows them to contribute offensively well into their late 30s. By that time, hopefully the next wave will be ready.

Elite/contender team, maybe... likely not. But the team looks like one of those teams that could go deep if they get on a roll at the right time - and no reason right now to say they will be any worse in the next couple of years, now that the Twins are re-signed.
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Eye Bags deserves extra credit for the timing of the announcement. He is giving a big FUCK YOU to the Leaves and the CBC by signing players the Leaves wanted and would have pursued next summer and for having the game on at 4:00 . Steal the thunder from Canada's team and their cheerleaders at CBC. :drink:

Eat that Nonis .........no it isn't a cheeseburger.
Indeed. Hope Glenn Healey, his bum-buddy Non-nuts and his jizz-licking coz Dreger have a good cry before the weekend's over. They are so gonna need it. :drink:
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

dbr wrote:Nobody. The highchair GM would have us let our two best players walk, pressure everyone else with a movement clause to waive it so we can deal them for cents on the dollar, go through several seasons in one of the highest priced markets in the league with tens of millions in cap space and a roster that wouldn't be a sure thing to win the Calder Cup all so we could have a decent-to-good shot at drafting players who could drag the franchise back to respectability half a decade from now.
I'm sincerely confused. I don't know if you're talking about The_Pauser or Kevin Lowe.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Always risk when you sign mid 30's guys to a contract with some term to it. That said, the Sedins are durable, their game has never been based on speed, rather brains, so the term is not of major concern IMHO.

I don't think at this stage the Sedin's can be real "go to" guys, but their cap hit shouldn't be prohibitive to finding guys who can develop in to those types of players, so I think it's a good signing.
darren
CC Veteran

Post by darren »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Eye Bags deserves extra credit for the timing of the announcement. He is giving a big FUCK YOU to the Leaves and the CBC by signing players the Leaves wanted and would have pursued next summer and for having the game on at 4:00 . Steal the thunder from Canada's team and their cheerleaders at CBC. :drink:
I realize you're probably kidding, but the leaves would have had no interest in signing the Sedins next year. They have no cap for one thing, and for the other they already have their entire top 6 (Kessel, Bozak, JVR, Lupul, Kadri, and Clarkson) locked up for next year (and five of them locked up long term). (And they still need to sign Bolland and Phaneuf, both of whom are more important to them than the Sedins would be). Whatever their weaknesses, scoring certainly isn't one of them, so what would they need the Sedins for?
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Solid deal, and very much worth it for the team. These guys are a young 33 and in incredible shape. Datsyuk is a couple of years older and hasn't slowed a bit, Thornton and Marleau seem to be doing just fine as well. I'm not worried about the term or cap hit.

Assuming the cap goes up to $70 million this summer, which is the absolute minimum it will be, Gillis will have plenty of money to find a second liner that can help Kes, Burr or whoever else is on that line. Pretty much every core player is locked up for the next couple of years, now just need a solid second liner and a solid third liner. I think Gillis gets one of those this season through trade and the other is either a FA in the offseason or one of the kids makes the jump next year.

The team looks like a playoff team for the next few years anyway.