I can't believe it's NOT a suspension!

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Micky
MVP
MVP

Re: I can't believe it's NOT a suspension!

Post by Micky »

Well I still love the hit, what a beauty!!!
In any other circumstance praise would be a flyin
He'll learn
Learn even better with a wee bit more support!!!!!!
"evolution"
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Cornuck wrote:
Meds wrote:
Horseshit? Horseshit would be where you say that Polak and Jake are nowhere near the play. Polak is carrying the puck and passes it up the ice, Jake hits him less than 2 seconds later. Polak passes the puck at 18:04 and contact is made a fraction of a second before 18:02.
Seriously? 2 seconds in hockey is an eternity to the rest of us. Jake knew exactly what he was doing and when. Debating the merits of a suspension is one thing, trying to defend a late, blind, retaliation hit is another.

The suspension sucks, and we could bring up dozens of other hits that were worse, but it's not the end of the world. With luck, Jake learns from this and picks his spots better.

I would have been happy with 5 and a game, I'm not surprised or pissed about the suspension, but if the hit had been against a Canuck, you would likely be calling for blood over a hit that was delivered 2 seconds after the play.
If the hit had been against a Canuck it wouldn't have been a suspension.

That's one thing I do miss about Brian Burke. He wasn't afraid to tell the league to fuck off.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Art Vandelay wrote:So you treated us to that long winded diatribe just to tell us the Burns hit was worse than the Lapierre hit. Nice, I hope you didn't type that out on your phone . Btw the Lappy hit was way worse and it will show in the suspension
:lol:
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

.....and HF Blobby tries to spin Jake's brain fart into an anti Benning rant......LOL
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Topper wrote:.....and HF Blobby tries to spin Jake's brain fart into an anti Benning rant......LOL
Lol you guys sure are protective of Mr Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. All I said was it was nice to see a teams manager blast the corrupt cunts that run the league.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

How long was Burke a part of that corrupt cunt management?

Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Probably four or five years ?? He wasn't any good at the job either. His suspension to Gary Suter was a joke. My pint was its nice to see someone call out the league for their kangaroo court nonsense when it comes to handing out discipline.

I say give Kerry Fraser the job.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Burke was on record for not calling out Campbell as he knew the job and knew no one would be happy with any decision.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote: but a blind side hit is something the league has been targeting for several years.
I believe blindside hits... in and of themselves... are still perfectly legal.

BUT... when an illegal hit is also a blindside hit, it becomes a factor in supplemental discipline.

In theory.

Having said that, I must add (once again) that I find this all thoroughly hilarious.

NHL Supplemental Discipline is very much like the allegorical box of chocolates.

Guess what, there are late hits every game which

... like the one in question...

neither target the head nor injure the recipient.

Box of chocolates

OR

... as some are saying after digging through recently-released NHL Emails...

these decisions are made at the whim of a madman puppeteer known as Bobby-Mac. :mex:

Yeahno, I find no reason to take these rulings seriously....
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Meds wrote:
rats19 wrote:Yet burns doesn't even get a penalty on late..elbow to Hank a couple games ago...

Hank shud have thanked Virtanen not thrown him under the bus.....or at least reworded his ire.....
Yep. I have never been a fan of the Sedin's leadership style. They won't call guys out for continual errors and inability to read a play, but they will call out rookies for effort level and aggressive energy, the latter being something this team has lacked entirely since Hank donned the C.

Hank and Dank are really good players, the stats don't lie.....but I can't wait for their passive leadership style to be gone.
A part of me wants to agree with most of this.

Said part keeps whispering "If Sedins understood 'ASSHOLE' we'd have ourselves a Cup by now".

Shuddup part!
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds »

Cornuck wrote:
Meds wrote:
Horseshit? Horseshit would be where you say that Polak and Jake are nowhere near the play. Polak is carrying the puck and passes it up the ice, Jake hits him less than 2 seconds later. Polak passes the puck at 18:04 and contact is made a fraction of a second before 18:02.
Seriously? 2 seconds in hockey is an eternity to the rest of us. Jake knew exactly what he was doing and when. Debating the merits of a suspension is one thing, trying to defend a late, blind, retaliation hit is another.

The suspension sucks, and we could bring up dozens of other hits that were worse, but it's not the end of the world. With luck, Jake learns from this and picks his spots better.

I would have been happy with 5 and a game, I'm not surprised or pissed about the suspension, but if the hit had been against a Canuck, you would likely be calling for blood over a hit that was delivered 2 seconds after the play.
It's actually less than 2 seconds, closer to 1.5. But who cares. It was late, and my point wasn't to say it was clean, it was saying that to call it as if they were nowhere near the play isn't true.

Jake totally knew what he was doing. He deserved the penalty and the suspension will make him think about it.

I'm fine with management, especially a guy like Benning or Linden, calling Jake out like that. Benning crafted it much better than Henrik. But regardless, as a teammate, not a manager or coach, Hank needs to stick up for his guys and not tow the NHL line word-for-word.

Something to the effect of: Yeah, the league is going to make the right call when they look at it, and we don't want to see anyone getting hurt. Jake has great energy and as a rookie just needs to pick his spots better.

Maybe if the brothers Sedin had a bit more fight than flight Keith woulda thought twice before bringing the flying elbow to Daniel, and the Bruins might not have taken such liberties.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

LOL

SDEM

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

6 games for Keith.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

So 5 reg, 1 playoff

Zach on Gagner, 13 games - yes there was significant injury in Gagner's case, but that was Zach's first offence.

Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Island Nucklehead wrote:6 games for Keith.
Disappointing: I thought 10 and anger management.
"evolution"