I can't believe it's NOT a suspension!

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: I can't believe it's NOT a suspension!

Post by Island Nucklehead »

micky107 wrote: There's a big rift in the room and Hank made it bigger. Quite frankly he should have kept his mouth shut.
I know I'll be alone on this one but I don't think Hank has the attention of the room anymore...
If there's anyone in that room not listening to a player like Henrik they should be taken out back by Dorsett and sorted out.
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Arachnid wrote:
micky107 wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Hank called Virtanen out too, calling his hit a late broadside hit. Me thinks the captain is sending Jake a message too. Personally I loved the hit. But no question it was very late. I don't think it is suspension worthy, a fine, a warning. Get the cheap stuff out of your game kid.
This doesn't surprise me. Jake plays on the edge. He made a fool of himself at the WJC but he didn't want to be there.
What he did last night, however, sorry folks but I love it. As long as he avoids the crazy stuff that bring the big suspensions.
There's a big rift in the room and Hank made it bigger. Quite frankly he should have kept his mouth shut.
I know I'll be alone on this one but I don't think Hank has the attention of the room anymore...
How do you know there is a rift in the room? Nothing seems amiss. Is this your semi-pro opinion, a well informed inside info or are you just pissing in the wind?
It's not pissing in the wind. I don't have that much but I have a friend that knows someone who is in that room, not a player, not a coach. But no-way I know a lot, just for sure not a great atmosphere in the room at this time.
"evolution"
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Southern_Canuck wrote:Wow, if Virtanen - rookie non-previous-offender - gets 2 games for that harmless interference - then Keith would get 1 Billion games for his stick swinging.

But let me guess, I will be incorrect.

S_C
Lucic is a repeat offender with a history (Miller, referee) yet he has only ever gotten 1 game (Connauton, Rinaldo) suspensions and sometimes none (Couture, Miller).

The world Jrs. have sweet fuck all to do with the NHL and have no bearing on JVs hit.

I smell a rotting fish :devil:

I expect Keith to be punished severely.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

micky107 wrote:
Arachnid wrote:
micky107 wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Hank called Virtanen out too, calling his hit a late broadside hit. Me thinks the captain is sending Jake a message too. Personally I loved the hit. But no question it was very late. I don't think it is suspension worthy, a fine, a warning. Get the cheap stuff out of your game kid.
This doesn't surprise me. Jake plays on the edge. He made a fool of himself at the WJC but he didn't want to be there.
What he did last night, however, sorry folks but I love it. As long as he avoids the crazy stuff that bring the big suspensions.
There's a big rift in the room and Hank made it bigger. Quite frankly he should have kept his mouth shut.
How do you know there is a rift in the room? Nothing seems amiss. Is this your semi-pro opinion, a well informed inside info or are you just pissing in the wind?
It's not pissing in the wind. I don't have that much but I have a friend that knows someone who is in that room, not a player, not a coach. But no-way I know a lot, just for sure not a great atmosphere in the room at this time.
Sooooo you're shiting in the wind...I can imagine the atmosphere is pretty carppy in the room right now with a 9 game losing streak and lack of goals from anyone.
It's conjecture and hearsay if you start posting your opinion but another matter to start reporting it as fact.

I call BULLSHIT on you dickey000.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

2 games for Jake? Fucking ridiculous. Screw you NHL. 5 and a game misconduct was plenty for that.
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Your a hard ass arachnid but I wouldn't embarrass this forum or myself by posting something that I think is true.
But so far as my opinions and ideas go, go ahead and call me an idiot all you want, I enjoy the fighting and debating and I'm the first one to say, you make your share of great posts and ones I hate too... :P
"evolution"
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

I don't really care about the suspension, the team is going nowhere this year and Jake needs the practice time. Not a big deal, and I'm not outraged about the suspension length given I never understand how they pick and choose.

That said, I like the fact he tried to throw the hit - yes it was late and yes he deserved to be penalized, but the fact he's willing to be that physical and mean is a good thing. The Nucks haven't had a player with that kind of size and power since Bertuzzi so if he's a bit of an asshole that's a good thing. He'll learn what he can and can't do, he's still a teenager.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Not suspension worthy IMHO. No head contact, shoulder on shoulder. Very definite late and deserved the penalty. A combination of a no name player, a non playoff team, and reputation, whether earned or not.

I am surprised he got two games but it doesn't help that he did not have the support of his team/teammates. He is also one of the players Dank called out earlier. Sounds like he has a cocky attitude and hasn't had to work as hard as some others to get drafted. You know, one of those jock types that got by on above average skill and size, in the juniors.

I want him to throw hits like that every game, but stay away from head shots and keep them clean. If he can learn from this than message sent.

As for the dressing room issues, ya they exist but nothing a winning season can't cure. You want the dressing room pissed right now no? There are some issues with some of the vets feeling some of the kids aren't putting in 100% every shift. We see it. Baertschi learned by his experience with Calgary now you see him bringing it every night. Horvat always seemed to have it. Hutton brings it. But some of the others mail it in from time to time. That consistency thing. That's why the plan of schedule games off for off ice work was an important one that got screwed up by injuries. In retrospect neither McCann nor Virtanen were ready for an 82 game schedule. But having them get this year will hopefully prove valuable down the road.
The only HW the Canucks need
ukcanuck
CC Legend

Post by ukcanuck »

One year in the league and already

on the NHL terror watch list

Thrown under the bus by the captain

And

Quickly gaining a reputation for being out of shape...

Time to hit the fitness panic button, find a decent trainer and move into a gym full time.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Every player who has previously faced supplementary discipline is a repeat offender and subject to harsher penalties the next time around.

The 18 month rule is a CBA feature and hits the player's pocket book.

1st offence, the player looses pay only for game days of the suspension
Repeat in 18 months, the player looses pay for every day of the suspension until the suspended # of games is up

Jake's hit is the classic blind sider that is in the League's videos as something they will not tolerate.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Put me down as someone who laughs a little at Sedin calling him out, what does he prefer do nothing and get faced punched because then they can score on the PP?

So what he has a little piss and vinegar, need some of that on the team. Some of you think this means he will be a goon costing them games in the future, geesh he is 19 years old and learning to play in the NHL, the captain on the team shouldn't be calling him out in public.

2 games is ridiculous and they are trying to show something, not sure what but the NHL league disciplinary group makes no sense majority of the time. There has been worse hits with no suspensions or fines in the past. Again look a month ago when Sedin was hit away from the play and he missed a few games. No suspension or fine, why? Because there was no penalty on the play.

Marchand is a complete ass yet this year he scored >30 goals, scored >20 many other times and he is a complete asshole.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Reefer2 wrote:Put me down as someone who laughs a little at Sedin calling him out, what does he prefer do nothing and get faced punched because then they can score on the PP?

So what he has a little piss and vinegar, need some of that on the team. Some of you think this means he will be a goon costing them games in the future, geesh he is 19 years old and learning to play in the NHL, the captain on the team shouldn't be calling him out in public.

2 games is ridiculous and they are trying to show something, not sure what but the NHL league disciplinary group makes no sense majority of the time. There has been worse hits with no suspensions or fines in the past. Again look a month ago when Sedin was hit away from the play and he missed a few games. No suspension or fine, why? Because there was no penalty on the play.

Marchand is a complete ass yet this year he scored >30 goals, scored >20 many other times and he is a complete asshole.
So we give a free pass to those that can score, excel at their game and win championships?

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/nhl ... d-mr-keith

Let's wait and see what Kieth gets shall we before we pass any judgement.....
Last edited by Arachnid on Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Reefer2 wrote:Put me down as someone who laughs a little at Sedin calling him out, what does he prefer do nothing and get faced punched because then they can score on the PP?

Excellent!!! Couldn't agree more.
A little support from a team leader would have gone a long way.
Sedin could have said, "jake could have picked his spot better but I love the effort". That or something along those lines.
Two games?
W.T F. for ?
Past Canuck whining me thinks :twisted:
"evolution"
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Horseshit!

Jake's stupid blind side shoulder was retaliation for having his stick knocked out of his hands 5 seconds earlier in front of the Shark's net. The play had already gone up ice the other way. Polak and Jake were nowhere near the puck or the play and yet Jake, in a 0.2W moment, decides to blind side Polak.

Dumb. Stupid. Idiotic.

Sure, go ahead and give the guy a little whack on the pads with your stick, but a blind side hit is something the league has been targeting for several years.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Topper wrote:

Horseshit!

Jake's stupid blind side shoulder was retaliation for having his stick knocked out of his hands 5 seconds earlier in front of the Shark's net. The play had already gone up ice the other way. Polak and Jake were nowhere near the puck or the play and yet Jake, in a 0.2W moment, decides to blind side Polak.

Dumb. Stupid. Idiotic.

Sure, go ahead and give the guy a little whack on the pads with your stick, but a blind side hit is something the league has been targeting for several years.
Bullshit to your horseshit, I said there has been worse and no suspension.

Was it dumb, stupid and idiotic, yes didn't say it wasn't, Said that the length is dumb, stupid and idiotic when we compare it to other hits in the game.