I can't believe it's NOT a suspension!

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: I can't believe it's NOT a suspension!

Post by Topper »

Lancer wrote: Yeah, basically they are throwing out the common-law concept of precedence - unless it suits them. No precedence on which to base any interpretation of the rules or any application of discipline... Mao and Stalin would be proud.
Uhmmmmmm No.

If you did read Gary's statement you would have noted where during the appeal hearing Shanahan noted several several cases of precedent and Gary elaborated on the similarities and differences to the case before him.

In fact he used those precedents to lay the groundwork against any further appeal to an independent arbitrator while suggesting that Thornton was let off lightly because of his clean record.

The key was that Thornton admitted he identified Orpik in the scrum before skating around to target him.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

:santa:

Oh yes it's all sooooo logical, eh Poindexter!

viewtopic.php?p=134383#p134383
Topper [color=#FF0000]Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:32 am[/color] wrote:This is because injury is a factor in Shanahan's decision process. It is a something I have never been able to accept.

It is a clear violation of the rules and deliberately targeted Zetterberg's head. Injury or not, if you are indeed serious about removing head shot injuries from the game, that is an offence worthy of a suspension.

viewtopic.php?p=135342#p135342
Topper [color=#FF0000]Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:18 am[/color] wrote:Shanahan has screwed the pooch and will suffer for it. With the Weber fine/non suspension he lost not only in the court of public opinion but also lost respect among the coaches and players. his desperate scramble to reel things back is a running joke.

After Bertuzzi fought Weber, here is what one of Shanahan's go to organizations had to say
“Sometimes when things don’t get looked after, you have to look after it yourself,”
Those were the words of Bruce Babcock.

As Shanahan tries to make ammends for the Weber gaff, he hands out a suspension to Hagelin for the elbow to Alfie, and this is what The Rangers, as an organization have to say.
"thoroughly perplexed in the ruling's inconsistency with other supplementary discipline decisions that have been made throughout this season and during the playoffs."

viewtopic.php?p=135682#p135682
Topper [color=#FF0000]Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:35 pm[/color] wrote:How is what Backstrom did (no injury, no priors - 1 game suspension) worse than what Weber did (no injury, no priors, $2,500 fine)?

Asham gets 4 even though no injury and no priors?

It will be interesting to see what happens with Torres in light of what happened to Keith. Torres has plenty of priors, but the hits were equal in vicious intent.

Watched Shanahan explain these, baffling.

viewtopic.php?p=168915#p168915
Topper [color=#FF0000]Sat May 04, 2013 7:48 am[/color] wrote: Interesting to compare the detail of Shanny the media whore's review of the Ellar hit with the detail and supposition he went into with the Hansen/Hossa hit.

The respect Shanahan gained as a player is quickly slipping away.
viewtopic.php?p=170742#p170742
Topper [color=#FF0000]Thu May 16, 2013 2:52 pm[/color] wrote: Fuck me sideways blue and gently. Shanny the media whore goes into wild speculation as he did with the Hansen call. How does he get principle point of content as the head other than through by using a ouiji board?

viewtopic.php?p=170842#p170842
Topper [color=#FF0000]Sun May 19, 2013 10:40 am[/color] wrote:I heartily endorse what Doug Wilson said about Shanny the media whore's discipline of Torres (Wilson: “"It is abundantly clear that this was a clean hockey hit").

So it cost the Sharks $100K, it needed to be said and more teams need to follow through similarly and do so with a Shanny the media whore like video.
viewtopic.php?p=172917#p172917
Topper [color=#FF0000]Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:35 am[/color] wrote:Shanny the media whore completely missed that this was a blow to the head that caused injury Combine that with retaliatory, a word Shanny the media whore used several times, and you may have something.

Watch the video and the reasons highlighted for the suspension.
High stick
Previous offender
Injury.

Hey Shanny the media whore, how about,
Retaliatory blow to the head with a high stick
Previous offender
Injury (a feature of the suspensions I find ludicrous)
Now tell us that is one game.
Oh yes, "may have or may not have hit Keith's hand" and then zooms in to show stick on empty glove. As HW noted, cross reference this with the wild conjecture and ouji board mind reading that he used in explaining Hansen's 2 games.

Un fucking believable.
:lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote: Uhmmmmmm No.

If you did read Gary's statement you would have noted where during the appeal hearing Shanahan noted several several cases of precedent and Gary elaborated on the similarities and differences to the case before him.
Uhmmmmmm No.

If you read Bettman's statement, Bettman + Shanny shot down 'cases of precedent' presented by the NHLPA.

The NHLPA's appeal on behalf of Thornton was based on three articles of contention:

1) Thornton's clean record.

2) That Thornton’s actions were not premeditated (Shanny had concluded the opposite).

3) Comparables (cases of precedent).

Bettman's ruling:

1). Thornton's clean record was clearly taken into account by Shanahan in his original video.

2). Thornton accidentally gave himself away at the appeal (and premeditation was obvious anyway).

3). Comparables do not exist (and then talked a bit out the other side of his mouth in typical kangaroo fashion).

Topper wrote: The key was that Thornton admitted he identified Orpik in the scrum before skating around to target him.
Actually, Bettman made it clear he had the power to increase the suspension based upon Thornton's denial.

But he relented, saying "I am comfortable relying on Mr. Shanahan’s judgment".

But then he's a kangaroo, and people should not give any mind whatsoever to kangaroos. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

^^

Or their courts.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

What da fock people....

CLEAN RECORD? :shock:

THORN ton

GP G A P PIM
495 33 47 80 832

Goon has 2min per game in penalties and .000023 penis points in points

He brings nothing to the game butt gooning...

Fuck Shanahan

Fuck Buttman

I reiterate....Bert was by no means a GOON.....he was a point producing Power Forward punished badly for unpremeditated bullying yet Shawnie was treated like a pretty nice boy...

FUCK THE EASTERN NHL FUCKTARDS :evil:
Last edited by Arachnid on Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Mad Word Perfect skills, yes quite simply Mad.

Yes Doc, I have always considered Shanahan the Media Whore not to be consistent. I have never considered him consistent.

Butt, I am learning from the new CBA, and Gary's explanations something you;

1. are incapable of reading the CBA and Bettman's rulings in the Kaletta and Thornton appeals.

2. are in denial of the CBA and Bettman's rulings in the Kaletta and Thornton appeals.

3. are incapable of learning from the CBA and Bettman's rulings in the Kaletta and Thornton appeals.

Which is it Doc, are you illiterate, in denial or a slow learner.

Or are you all three.

Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Topper wrote:Mad Word Perfect skills, yes quite simply Mad.

Yes Doc, I have always considered Shanahan the Media Whore not to be consistent. I have never considered him consistent.

Butt, I am learning from the new CBA, and Gary's explanations something you;

1. are incapable of reading the CBA and Bettman's rulings in the Kaletta and Thornton appeals.

2. are in denial of the CBA and Bettman's rulings in the Kaletta and Thornton appeals.

3. are incapable of learning from the CBA and Bettman's rulings in the Kaletta and Thornton appeals.

Which is it Doc, are you illiterate, in denial or a slow learner.

Or are you all three.
Fight Fight Fight (he was quite mean to his Hispanic maid :evil: )

8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Strangelove wrote: 3). Comparables do not exist (and then talked a bit out the other side of his mouth in typical kangaroo fashion).
The speaking out the side of his mouth that you note, he clearly says the three cases the Thornton incident resembles are the one noted by Shanahan. The Dale Hunter, Matt Johnson and Todd Bertuzzi incidents.

Try to pay attention.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote: Yes Doc, I have always considered Shanahan the Media Whore not to be consistent. I have never considered him consistent.

Butt, I am learning from the new CBA
If they are nothing but inconsistent because they use "guidelines" from the CBA then why waste one's time?

THINK
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote:
Strangelove wrote: 3). Comparables do not exist (and then talked a bit out the other side of his mouth in typical kangaroo fashion).
The speaking out the side of his mouth that you note, he clearly says the three cases the Thornton incident resembles are the one noted by Shanahan. The Dale Hunter, Matt Johnson and Todd Bertuzzi incidents.

Try to pay attention.
He's says IF comparables existed, THOSE would be closer than the ones the NHLPA presented.

And then he goes on to dismiss them because they are "10 to 20 years old" and they use new standards now.

He very clearly states there are no comparables.

Did you want me to quote him again or do you know how to scroll up?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Topper wrote:Uhmmmmmm No.

Thank you for confirming, illiteracy is your issue.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Poor Momma Topper!!

The kangaroos got her baby...
____
Try to focus on someday.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Lol, what the fuck are you guys even arguing about? :lol:

My apologies, as I am only a very simple Hindu man.

In 500 words or less, can someone summarize as to what's going on?

From an outsider looking in, all I can say is that trying to interpret the CBA in a 'black and white' manner and then getting up in arms over the inevitable inconsistency is pointless. Shanahan tends to take a more wholistic big picture intuitive approach that ultimately serves the greater good of the game (atleast through his eyes).

Unfortunately, this "intuitive" shade-of-grey approach will show favoritism towards superstar players (I.e. Shea Weber, Duncan Keith, etc.), while placing a lot of emphasis on injury sustained rather than intent.

It's unfair, but it is what it is.
Last edited by The Brown Knight on Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

The Brown Knight wrote:Lol, what the fuck are you guys even arguing about? :lol:

My apologies, as I am only a very simple Hindu man.

In 500 words or less, can someone summarize as to what's going on?
Topper is trying to make sense of NHL suspensions thus far! :crazy:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Topper wrote:
Lancer wrote: Yeah, basically they are throwing out the common-law concept of precedence - unless it suits them. No precedence on which to base any interpretation of the rules or any application of discipline... Mao and Stalin would be proud.
Uhmmmmmm No.

In fact he used those precedents to lay the groundwork against any further appeal to an independent arbitrator while suggesting that Thornton was let off lightly because of his clean record.

The key was that Thornton admitted he identified Orpik in the scrum before skating around to target him.
I might be taking a leap of faith, Tops, but maybe you just overlooked the bold portion. Of course they will trot out those precedents that suit them and toss those inconvenient bits of fact that stand in the way of their sham straight out of the Nazi Honour Courts.

Doc pretty much summed up my retort, so yeah, what he said. 8-)
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.