I can't believe it's NOT a suspension!

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: I can't believe it's NOT a suspension!

Post by Zedlee »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Virtanen to have a hearing today for hit on Polak.

I'm thinking the game misconduct will be enough, but maybe he gets an extra game? He's a rookie, easy to punish.
Agreed. But I get concerned any time that there is a hearing. I thought the 5 minute major was punishment enough. Likely the ref thought it was a head shot, which of course it was clearly not. The hit was late but Polak was not seriously injured.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Zedlee wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:Virtanen to have a hearing today for hit on Polak.

I'm thinking the game misconduct will be enough, but maybe he gets an extra game? He's a rookie, easy to punish.
Agreed. But I get concerned any time that there is a hearing. I thought the 5 minute major was punishment enough. Likely the ref thought it was a head shot, which of course it was clearly not. The hit was late but Polak was not seriously injured.
Hopefully it's a case where the NHL wants to make it clear he's on the radar, and needs to smarten up if he doesn't want to turn into a Raffi Torres. I like the nastiness in Jakes game, but he won't be in the league long if he doesn't learn to pick his spots better.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

Has a hearing been announced for Keith? I have seen nothing. The NHL wastes no time announcing a hearing for Virtanen but they are still considering whether to review the Keith stick to the face? wtf?
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Zedlee wrote:Has a hearing been announced for Keith? I have seen nothing. The NHL wastes no time announcing a hearing for Virtanen but they are still considering whether to review the Keith stick to the face? wtf?

Don't worry, Keith's will really be looked at this time..
"evolution"
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Zedlee wrote:Has a hearing been announced for Keith? I have seen nothing. The NHL wastes no time announcing a hearing for Virtanen but they are still considering whether to review the Keith stick to the face? wtf?
They have to "look at it" as he is technically suspended indefinitely right now.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

dbr wrote:
They have to "look at it" as he is technically suspended indefinitely right now.
He's been offered an in-person hearing, which is required if they are going to suspend him for more than 5 games.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Hank called Virtanen out too, calling his hit a late broadside hit. Me thinks the captain is sending Jake a message too. Personally I loved the hit. But no question it was very late. I don't think it is suspension worthy, a fine, a warning. Get the cheap stuff out of your game kid.
The only HW the Canucks need
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Wow, if Virtanen - rookie non-previous-offender - gets 2 games for that harmless interference - then Keith would get 1 Billion games for his stick swinging.

But let me guess, I will be incorrect.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

That's WJrC crap that got Jake national infamy. I thought it a dive by Polak but stupidly late and blindside. Reminded me of the Bryan Allen ankle breaker.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Southern_Canuck wrote:Wow, if Virtanen - rookie non-previous-offender - gets 2 games for that harmless interference - then Keith would get 1 Billion games for his stick swinging.

S_C
Yeah that's probably one game too many, but the reality is he's a rookie and has a fairly limited impact on the game and it makes him an easy target for the DPOS. Hopefully he learns his lesson because they'll only go up from here.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

The hit was definitely late... like waiting-for-the-wife-to-get-ready late.

It's good his teammates and the league are sending a message to get that out of his game. He don't want to become a pariah like Raffi.

But secretly, I LOVED the hit. For an out-of-shape 20 year old kid, Jake The Cake sure has some ridiculous power! He can literally launch even big guys off their feet and send them flying.

His dad was probably working the tower to get Polak to land safely.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Hockey Widow wrote:Hank called Virtanen out too, calling his hit a late broadside hit. Me thinks the captain is sending Jake a message too. Personally I loved the hit. But no question it was very late. I don't think it is suspension worthy, a fine, a warning. Get the cheap stuff out of your game kid.
This doesn't surprise me. Jake plays on the edge. He made a fool of himself at the WJC but he didn't want to be there.
What he did last night, however, sorry folks but I love it. As long as he avoids the crazy stuff that bring the big suspensions.
There's a big rift in the room and Hank made it bigger. Quite frankly he should have kept his mouth shut.
I know I'll be alone on this one but I don't think Hank has the attention of the room anymore...
"evolution"
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Southern_Canuck wrote:Wow, if Virtanen - rookie non-previous-offender - gets 2 games for that harmless interference - then Keith would get 1 Billion games for his stick swinging.

S_C
2 games for a rookie first offender on a late judgement error hit?

Polak was playing 5 mins later....

Keith deserves 20 but will most likely get 8-10. A repeat offender with intention to hurt.

:evil:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

micky107 wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Hank called Virtanen out too, calling his hit a late broadside hit. Me thinks the captain is sending Jake a message too. Personally I loved the hit. But no question it was very late. I don't think it is suspension worthy, a fine, a warning. Get the cheap stuff out of your game kid.
This doesn't surprise me. Jake plays on the edge. He made a fool of himself at the WJC but he didn't want to be there.
What he did last night, however, sorry folks but I love it. As long as he avoids the crazy stuff that bring the big suspensions.
There's a big rift in the room and Hank made it bigger. Quite frankly he should have kept his mouth shut.
I know I'll be alone on this one but I don't think Hank has the attention of the room anymore...
How do you know there is a rift in the room? Nothing seems amiss. Is this your semi-pro opinion, a well informed inside info or are you just pissing in the wind?
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

ffs now JV gotta stay clean with the league for 18 months.

but anyways -

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/dunc ... -playoffs/

Keith could/prob gonna miss some playoff games.
Chicago Blackhawks defenceman Duncan Keith has been offered an in-person hearing with the NHL’s department of player safety to discuss his high-sticking of Minnesota Wild forward Charlie Coyle.

Because Keith’s hearing was offered in-person, his potential suspension could exceed the five regular-season games remaining in Chicago’s schedule.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.