I can't believe it's NOT a suspension!

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hank
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1997
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:33 pm

Re: I can't believe it's NOT a suspension!

Post by Hank » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:54 pm

Sadly, you've probably all guessed correctly at Keith's upcoming punishment. A nice little 5 game rest before the playoffs start.

His accidentally on purpose cheap shots are some of the worst, most devastating type offences I've ever seen.

The league throws the book at Raffi, but this POS gets a Norris for his efforts.
Try to focus on 1 year from now...

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 7901
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: I can't believe it's NOT a suspension!

Post by Island Nucklehead » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:27 pm

Hank wrote: His accidentally on purpose cheap shots are some of the worst, most devastating type offences I've ever seen.

The league throws the book at Raffi, but this POS gets a Norris for his efforts.
The thing is, this and the Carter high stick are completely indefensible. Throwing a slightly late hit, or mistiming things and scrambling someone's eggs, that's a hockey play.

Someone should slash Kane in the face, see how Keith likes it.

Hank
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1997
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:33 pm

Re: I can't believe it's NOT a suspension!

Post by Hank » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:50 pm

Yeah, just don't bite or pull hair... or accuse the refs of improprieties... or be French. Or be Swedish. Especially if you're twins.

And definitely don't wear a Canucks jersey.
Try to focus on 1 year from now...

User avatar
Arachnid
CC Legend
Posts: 6196
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin
Contact:

Re: I can't believe it's NOT a suspension!

Post by Arachnid » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:39 am

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Hank wrote: His accidentally on purpose cheap shots are some of the worst, most devastating type offences I've ever seen.

The league throws the book at Raffi, but this POS gets a Norris for his efforts.
The thing is, this and the Carter high stick are completely indefensible. Throwing a slightly late hit, or mistiming things and scrambling someone's eggs, that's a hockey play.

Someone should slash Kane in the face, see how Keith likes it.
Remember the Kassian stick to Gagner's jaw? Not intentional at all but punished (maybe he was coked up :| )

Kieth should get 20 if there is any justice in NHL life but he won't, Button will walk down the hall this morning and tell them 5 games....can't fuck with Obama's team...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 7901
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: I can't believe it's NOT a suspension!

Post by Island Nucklehead » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:02 am

Arachnid wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Hank wrote: His accidentally on purpose cheap shots are some of the worst, most devastating type offences I've ever seen.

The league throws the book at Raffi, but this POS gets a Norris for his efforts.
The thing is, this and the Carter high stick are completely indefensible. Throwing a slightly late hit, or mistiming things and scrambling someone's eggs, that's a hockey play.

Someone should slash Kane in the face, see how Keith likes it.
Remember the Kassian stick to Gagner's jaw? Not intentional at all but punished (maybe he was coked up :| )

Kieth should get 20 if there is any justice in NHL life but he won't, Button will walk down the hall this morning and tell them 5 games....can't fuck with Obama's team...
You won't find any disagreement from me on this one, Spidey. I don't understand how purposely slashing someone is somehow less punishable than an other-wise legal bodycheck landing 2-3 inches higher than intended.

This is the second time DK has done this. What happens if that's a player without a visor, and he takes someone's eye?

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 7901
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: I can't believe it's NOT a suspension!

Post by Island Nucklehead » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:13 am

Virtanen to have a hearing today for hit on Polak.

I'm thinking the game misconduct will be enough, but maybe he gets an extra game? He's a rookie, easy to punish.

Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:52 pm

Re: I can't believe it's NOT a suspension!

Post by Zedlee » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:21 am

Island Nucklehead wrote:Virtanen to have a hearing today for hit on Polak.

I'm thinking the game misconduct will be enough, but maybe he gets an extra game? He's a rookie, easy to punish.
Agreed. But I get concerned any time that there is a hearing. I thought the 5 minute major was punishment enough. Likely the ref thought it was a head shot, which of course it was clearly not. The hit was late but Polak was not seriously injured.

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 7901
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: I can't believe it's NOT a suspension!

Post by Island Nucklehead » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:28 am

Zedlee wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:Virtanen to have a hearing today for hit on Polak.

I'm thinking the game misconduct will be enough, but maybe he gets an extra game? He's a rookie, easy to punish.
Agreed. But I get concerned any time that there is a hearing. I thought the 5 minute major was punishment enough. Likely the ref thought it was a head shot, which of course it was clearly not. The hit was late but Polak was not seriously injured.
Hopefully it's a case where the NHL wants to make it clear he's on the radar, and needs to smarten up if he doesn't want to turn into a Raffi Torres. I like the nastiness in Jakes game, but he won't be in the league long if he doesn't learn to pick his spots better.

Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:52 pm

Re: I can't believe it's NOT a suspension!

Post by Zedlee » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:38 am

Has a hearing been announced for Keith? I have seen nothing. The NHL wastes no time announcing a hearing for Virtanen but they are still considering whether to review the Keith stick to the face? wtf?

User avatar
micky107
CC Legend
Posts: 3865
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: I can't believe it's NOT a suspension!

Post by micky107 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:48 am

Zedlee wrote:Has a hearing been announced for Keith? I have seen nothing. The NHL wastes no time announcing a hearing for Virtanen but they are still considering whether to review the Keith stick to the face? wtf?

Don't worry, Keith's will really be looked at this time..
"evolution"

dbr
CC Legend
Posts: 3048
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: I can't believe it's NOT a suspension!

Post by dbr » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:06 am

Zedlee wrote:Has a hearing been announced for Keith? I have seen nothing. The NHL wastes no time announcing a hearing for Virtanen but they are still considering whether to review the Keith stick to the face? wtf?
They have to "look at it" as he is technically suspended indefinitely right now.

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 7901
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: I can't believe it's NOT a suspension!

Post by Island Nucklehead » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:35 pm

dbr wrote:
Zedlee wrote:Has a hearing been announced for Keith? I have seen nothing. The NHL wastes no time announcing a hearing for Virtanen but they are still considering whether to review the Keith stick to the face? wtf?
They have to "look at it" as he is technically suspended indefinitely right now.
He's been offered an in-person hearing, which is required if they are going to suspend him for more than 5 games.

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 12682
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: I can't believe it's NOT a suspension!

Post by Hockey Widow » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:47 pm

Hank called Virtanen out too, calling his hit a late broadside hit. Me thinks the captain is sending Jake a message too. Personally I loved the hit. But no question it was very late. I don't think it is suspension worthy, a fine, a warning. Get the cheap stuff out of your game kid.
The only HW the Canucks need

User avatar
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1497
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:27 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: I can't believe it's NOT a suspension!

Post by Southern_Canuck » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:04 pm

Wow, if Virtanen - rookie non-previous-offender - gets 2 games for that harmless interference - then Keith would get 1 Billion games for his stick swinging.

But let me guess, I will be incorrect.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 9543
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: I can't believe it's NOT a suspension!

Post by Topper » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:19 pm

That's WJrC crap that got Jake national infamy. I thought it a dive by Polak but stupidly late and blindside. Reminded me of the Bryan Allen ankle breaker.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

Post Reply