Moving one of our Top 4 defenseman for a Top 6 Forward

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: Moving one of our Top 4 defenseman for a Top 6 Forward

Post by 2Fingers »

I may be in the minor of this group and am just an arm chair GM/coach/QB but I would of kept a prospect or 2 on the team and got them the NHL experience they need. Then I would look at a legit run at the cup in 2 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Reefer2 wrote:I may be in the minor of this group and am just an arm chair GM/coach/QB but I would of kept a prospect or 2 on the team and got them the NHL experience they need. Then I would look at a legit run at the cup in 2 years.

I couldn't agree more. Don't get me wrong, I want to win and I want to win now. But this re-signing makes me breath easier. We have this year and four after that to not only get that cup but to keep the retooling going. I don't want to blow that by giving away the legitimate prospects we finally have up front. I don't want to waste any first rounders unless it is for a legitimate top six with term. I mean I'd be tempted to part with a first for say a Yakupov. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Next season we have to see more of our kids in the line up. This year has been great seeing Tanev continue and the addition of Stanton. Maybe Jensen gets a shot once he is in game shape. Maybe JS has a good second half. Maybe Kassian keeps developing and shows more consistency.

I am more exited today with the announcement that the twins have re-signed and more hopeful for our future than at the start of the season. I don't want to see a re-build and now we don't need to.

Still a lot of work to do this year to get to contender status and I don't know if the deals are out there that will give us that but the one thing I know for sure is I don't want to see MG waste picks and prospects on any more rentals. Time and time again we have seen that deadline day is not the day to build a cup winning team.
The only HW the Canucks need
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Hockey Widow wrote: Next season we have to see more of our kids in the line up. This year has been great seeing Tanev continue and the addition of Stanton. Maybe Jensen gets a shot once he is in game shape. Maybe JS has a good second half. Maybe Kassian keeps developing and shows more consistency.
Exactamundu.

This isn't a make or break year for the team. We've seen deadline acquisitions and rental players fail in every which way, shape and form, and trading more future assets would be stupid. For once in a long while there is significant youth in the system, and as these players improve over the next months and years they should push themselves onto the Canucks, thus improving our depth.

This year, I think you give Kassian, Schroeder, Jensen, Stanton and Tanev every opportunity to step up to the plate and show if they can deliver. Next year, Gaunce, Horvat, Corrado and Shinkaruk are a year older and they will be better. Who knows, maybe one or two of them will be ready to contribute.

I think you build this team over the next 2-3 years on the assumption that some of these young players will turn into good players, and as that happens, this team's depth will greatly improve and we will have more expendable assets to help round out the roster. Maybe Tanev, Corrado and Stanton make one of our top four expendable and we can use that asset for forward help, for instance.