Injury thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend

Re: Injury thread

Post by dbr »

Art Vandelay wrote:
herb wrote:Sounds like Schroeder needs surgery to repair a broken ankle and will be out nine weeks. Tough luck for Schroeder who has broken the same ankle twice this season.

Time to turf this kid this season when he gets healthy. He is way too little to play a meaningful role for a team looking to make some noise in the playoffs. He is basically little more than another Steve Kariya.
Ya if only he had the ankles of a person who stands 6'3 he wouldn't have broke his getting hit by a shot.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Yeah, there's really no risk involved with Schroeder. He makes $600K, he's still an RFA at the end of the season, and he's shown himself capable of playing in the NHL.

One wrinkle is I don't believe he's waiver-exempt anymore, so if we send him down he could be claimed. Either way, low risk with some reward potential if he stays healthy.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Regarding Schroeder – the odds are stacked against him. Right now his ceiling is on the third line, but his game has no physicality and he hasn’t put up points in the NHL or AHL. This is a make or break season for him and he needs to make an impression before the deadline. He’s out until approximately Christmas now and won't have much time.

That being said, I’m not so sure we can really afford to “turf” any forwards at this point in time, never mind one who has shown he can provide competent five on five play.

I believe you are correct IN regarding his waiver eligibility.
Art Vandelay
CC Veteran

Post by Art Vandelay »

dbr wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:
herb wrote:Sounds like Schroeder needs surgery to repair a broken ankle and will be out nine weeks. Tough luck for Schroeder who has broken the same ankle twice this season.

Time to turf this kid this season when he gets healthy. He is way too little to play a meaningful role for a team looking to make some noise in the playoffs. He is basically little more than another Steve Kariya.
Ya if only he had the ankles of a person who stands 6'3 he wouldn't have broke his getting hit by a shot.
What does that have to do with the fact he is too small, too weak and isn't willing to play in traffic ? Davidian are you trying to be funny ?
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Art Vandelay wrote:
dbr wrote:Ya if only he had the ankles of a person who stands 6'3 he wouldn't have broke his getting hit by a shot.
What does that have to do with the fact he is too small, too weak and isn't willing to play in traffic ? Davidian are you trying to be funny ?
Trying? I'm fucking hilarious. :look:

Yeah Schroeder is small and yeah it's probably going to limit his NHL career in a big way. No he is not ideal for a bottom six player on a playoff team but as herb said above:
herb wrote: I’m not so sure we can really afford to “turf” any forwards at this point in time, never mind one who has shown he can provide competent five on five play.
Schroeder showed that last year in his first 31 games of NHL experience, compares to Cody Hodgson's first NHL season favourably.

That's not to say that Schroeder has the kind of shot Hodgson does or that he's going to explode offensively (if he ever gets healthy and is deployed the same way), but players at that age often look a lot more comfortable at the NHL level after getting a chance to get into some games and get an idea of what it takes to succeed.

Schroeder obviously has to take his game to another level in order to stick around long term, but right now he's a player who can survive in a limited role and maybe do more than that, on a team which after Henrik Sedin has a couple of UFA cast-offs down the middle who are playing great hockey right now but almost certainly won't sustain that level of play all year.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

dbr wrote: Schroeder obviously has to take his game to another level in order to stick around long term, but right now he's a player who can survive in a limited role and maybe do more than that, on a team which after Henrik Sedin has a couple of UFA cast-offs down the middle who are playing great hockey right now but almost certainly won't sustain that level of play all year.
It's early, and I'm pleasantly surprised at how good they have looked, but Richardson and Santorelli are not really putting up that many more points than they have shown they are capable of putting up at the NHL level before.
Richardson's career season had him put up 27 points (he's on pace for 35). Santorelli's career season had him put up 41 points (he's on pace for 52).
Now, are these cases of lightning in a bottle? Maybe, but these guys have shown competence before. We’ll see how their seasons progress, but if they continue playing lots, they could put up career numbers (Santorelli and Richardson are playing 2.5 minutes and 1 minute more respectively than their career seasons).

Anyway, it’s pretty unlikely that Kesler will play with the Sedins all season. If and when he moves back to centre, Santorelli and Richardson’s ice times could conceivably go down depending on who plays wing, etc.

I'm not high on Schroeder, but I think giving up on 23 year old centre would be stupid for a team that has limited prospect depth and question marks all over the forward group.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Smaller players are obviously at a disadvantage purely based on genetics but as Paul Kariya (5'10), St. Louis (5'8), Brian Gionta (5'7) and GSP (5'10) have shown, height is just a number.

Can anyone here seriously correlate a broken ankle with his small stature (5'8)?

Maybe his height has some weird osteopathic arthritic effect on his ankle bone.

Yeah, that must be it.

:mex:

Hmm... TSN is reporting that Mark Giordano of the Flames is out 6-8 weeks with a broken ankle and he's 6'0. Maybe its a thing that affects anyone that is 6'0 and under?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Fuck Dave, your sarcasm-laced posts are starting to confuse the crap out of posters everywhere.

YOU ARE BREAKING SOCIETY!!! Image

On Schroeder....

At this point in time a GM might be tempted to risk losing him by putting him on waivers (send to AHL).

But by the time he's ready to return, things could be different

(other injuries, Santo/Richardson could fail).

Hard to say how things are going to work out for JS at this point.

But unfortunately injury-prone-ness can ruin careers.

Not saying JS is injury prone.... yet.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

what happened to Nick Jensens? I know he got injured at training camp and have never heard from him since.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:what happened to Nick Jensens? I know he got injured at training camp and have never heard from him since.
Nicklas Jensen was assigned the other day to Utica and picked up an assist in his first game last night.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

David Booth appears to have played last night. The Comets lost, of course.

Sounds like Schroeder had surgery last week and will be out until January. This has been a tough season for the guy already...it'll be tough for him to crack the roster with the way our current top nine are playing.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Reading between the lines a bit, I'd guess Hansen plays on Sunday, which is the day he is eligible to come of LTIR.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Curb your enthusiasm.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.