OOTS: 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1033
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:42 am

Re: OOTS: 2013-14

Post by The Brown Knight » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:07 pm

Meh.

I have no idea what Strangelove and Topper are arguing about (I'm too lazy to read), but generally speaking, I don't think the Department of Player safety ever had intentions of following things in black and white......even if things are labelled in black and white.

They clearly operate with very large masses of shades of grey and intuition, and don't even really hide the fact that they don't care if it very clearly contradicts the black and white.

P.s. Go Seahawks!
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises

User avatar
Jovocop
CC Legend
Posts: 3207
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: OOTS: 2013-14

Post by Jovocop » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:10 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:The good thing about this time of year is that the fish smell starts to clear up. Should be gone in another two months.
Is this a reference to Big Tuna? :mrgreen:
I suspect that it will be more than two months. It might be gone til October next year. :mrgreen:

User avatar
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1033
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:42 am

Re: OOTS: 2013-14

Post by The Brown Knight » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:14 pm

I wouldn't count the Leaves out just yet my Hindu friends.

Don't get me wrong.......I dislike the Leaves as much as the next guy, but they should be a much stronger team once they get their centers back. Bolland is out with injury, while Bozak got re-injured if I recall correctly.

I wouldn't rule out the Leaves from not making the playoffs just yet.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 9260
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: OOTS: 2013-14

Post by SKYO » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:41 pm

"Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue"

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013 ... -continue/

$8.5M per down the drain for 7 years lol jk. :D
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
Posts: 3992
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: OOTS: 2013-14

Post by ClamRussel » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:30 pm

The Brown Knight wrote:Meh.

I have no idea what Strangelove and Topper are arguing about (I'm too lazy to read), but generally speaking, I don't think the Department of Player safety ever had intentions of following things in black and white......even if things are labelled in black and white.

They clearly operate with very large masses of shades of grey and intuition, and don't even really hide the fact that they don't care if it very clearly contradicts the black and white.

P.s. Go Seahawks!
The issue is the illusion (through their shiny video series) that it is black & white and they're following some kind of standard...a standard which is a moving target depending on the players involved. Continuing in the storied tradition of Campbell, Shanahan's decisions are sometimes fair, other times hypocritical, confusing, and at best, appear influenced.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy

dbr
CC Legend
Posts: 3048
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: OOTS: 2013-14

Post by dbr » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:43 pm

I doubt anyone would disagree (edit: strongly) with any of that.

That being said, the appeals process offers some fascinating transparency and should force the league to present a clear and fairly comprehensive case for some of its rulings.

Of course, until they can be forced to explain in a similar fashion why one play is a suspension and another is a slap on the wrist - or other mysteries which continue to elude fans - I don't think it'll help all that much in changing the perception of Shanahan or anyone else running the supplemental discipline show.

alexBF
AHL Prospect
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: OOTS: 2013-14

Post by alexBF » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:21 am

What the hell happened to Grabner? He had 2 goals in his first game this year, then not a single goal in the his 28 games since. He had 8 points in his first 7 games and then zero in the 22 games since. Also he has somehow not been a plus player (+/-) since the first 5 games of the season.

Then there's Hodgson. He's been a plus player twice this year (31 games, -9). He has 4 goals & 9 points (and -5) in 19 games since Vanek was traded , a 17 goal, 39 point pace. Since he doesn't bring anything else than offense, 40 points can't keep him in the lineup long can it?

These 2 were looking very good at times over the past 2 years, right now they really are looking like garbage.

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 12977
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: OOTS: 2013-14

Post by Hockey Widow » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:34 am

alexBF wrote:What the hell happened to Grabner? He had 2 goals in his first game this year, then not a single goal in the his 28 games since. He had 8 points in his first 7 games and then zero in the 22 games since. Also he has somehow not been a plus player (+/-) since the first 5 games of the season.

Then there's Hodgson. He's been a plus player twice this year (31 games, -9). He has 4 goals & 9 points (and -5) in 19 games since Vanek was traded , a 17 goal, 39 point pace. Since he doesn't bring anything else than offense, 40 points can't keep him in the lineup long can it?

These 2 were looking very good at times over the past 2 years, right now they really are looking like garbage.

I dunno, you'd have to ask the Dude. He' will know what is wrong. :mrgreen:

I also think Hodgson is out with an injury currently.
The only HW the Canucks need

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 12977
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: OOTS: 2013-14

Post by Hockey Widow » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:07 pm

Clarkson headed for another suspension. Planted a good elbow and even got a penalty for it. Great signing by Nonis.
The only HW the Canucks need

User avatar
Reefer2
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3783
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: OOTS: 2013-14

Post by Reefer2 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:20 pm

quick facts i took from TSN about the Laughs

13 – Losses for the Leaves in the past 19 games.

13 – Number of times in those 19 games that the Leaves allowed three goals or more, losing all but one.

7-7-1 – Leaves record versus the Western Conference this season.

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 9651
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: OOTS: 2013-14

Post by Topper » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:31 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Clarkson headed for another suspension. Planted a good elbow and even got a penalty for it. Great signing by Nonis.
I saw the hit on the lowlights last night. I think it is worth a hearing (Edler), but I see no news of it today.

The inconsistency remains a constant.

Maybe Shanny the media whore is too busy in makeup for the Thornton hearing today? After all, he wouldn't want to look like Brian Burke.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 12977
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: OOTS: 2013-14

Post by Hockey Widow » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:13 pm

I heard Kypros say that because he was given a penalty on the play the league may feel he received fair punishment. WTF so we get suspensions if the refs miss something. I don't think so!!

And Clarkson is a repeat offender, hell he had 10 games to start the season :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17128
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: OOTS: 2013-14

Post by Strangelove » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:43 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:I heard Kypros say that because he was given a penalty on the play the league may feel he received fair punishment.
Kypreos should sue the NHL for not protecting his head. :mrgreen:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 12977
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: OOTS: 2013-14

Post by Hockey Widow » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:04 pm

Clarkson's hearing is scheduled for Saturday morning and is being reviewed as an illegal check to the head. I say he gets 2 games.
The only HW the Canucks need

Blaster86
CC Veteran
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:14 pm

Re: OOTS: 2013-14

Post by Blaster86 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:14 pm

He's a repeat offender after being suspended for ten at the start of the season.

I say 5, which is a shame cause that's addition by subtraction for the Leaves.

Post Reply