OOTS: 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend

Re: OOTS: 2013-14

Post by dbr »

Thoughts on the hit John Scott put on Loui Eriksson?

Aside from the pretty clear charge I thought it was more or less just a case of Pronger Physics..

Althought my feelings about the Bruins may be affecting my objectivity on this one. :look:
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

Later than the hit Rome laid on Horton. Too bad the target wasn't Marchant.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Wiebo Ludwig wrote:This Domenic Roussel of Dallas is a good middleweight scrapper in the mould of Rick Rypien.

No he isn't.
C'mon Suds McKenzie, Roussel is annihilating everyone this year, Irwin, Carcillo, Weaver. At 6'0 195lbs he ain't afraid of anyone, chased down Shea Weber, Kassian and Chris Stewart last year, annihilated Seabrook. He throws the fast and furious left and rights from all over just like Rypien and won't back down from no one. Would love to have him on the Nucks
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote: C'mon Suds McKenzie, Roussel is annihilating everyone this year, Irwin, Carcillo, Weaver. At 6'0 195lbs he ain't afraid of anyone, chased down Shea Weber, Kassian and Chris Stewart last year, annihilated Seabrook. He throws the fast and furious left and rights from all over just like Rypien and won't back down from no one. Would love to have him on the Nucks
Do you mean Antoine Roussel? If you're gonna blow someone at least know their first name... we DID have him, and he couldn't crack the roster.

And Matt Irwin? Really? That was his first and only NHL fight. The guy is an offensive d-man. Real tough... When he steps out of his weight class he gets beat, see: Kassian, Zack.

Lemme know when he starts taking on and beating the McLoed's, Stortini's, Eagers, Valabik's, Neal's and Konopka's of the league. Until then, he's no Rick Rypien.

Oh yeah... he's also from FRANCE.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Do you mean Antoine Roussel? If you're gonna blow someone at least know their first name... we DID have him, and he couldn't crack the roster.
I completely forgot, no wonder RoyalDude loves him so much. :lol:
And Matt Irwin? Really? That was his first and only NHL fight. The guy is an offensive d-man. Real tough... When he steps out of his weight class he gets beat, see: Kassian, Zack.
Nevermind Mike Weaver who probably has to sit on Jordan Schroeder's shoulders to get onto the big kid rides at Playland..
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

dbr wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote: Nevermind Mike Weaver who probably has to sit on Jordan Schroeder's shoulders to get onto the big kid rides at Playland..
Even though Weaver is no stranger yo danger, ain't the first time he's dropped his mitts and will not be the last, he picked the battle but chose the wrong one, Roussel obliged and let loose the hounds. Lesson learned
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: C'mon Suds McKenzie, Roussel is annihilating everyone this year, Irwin, Carcillo, Weaver. At 6'0 195lbs he ain't afraid of anyone, chased down Shea Weber, Kassian and Chris Stewart last year, annihilated Seabrook. He throws the fast and furious left and rights from all over just like Rypien and won't back down from no one. Would love to have him on the Nucks
Do you mean Antoine Roussel? If you're gonna blow someone at least know their first name... we DID have him, and he couldn't crack the roster.

Lemme know when he starts taking on and beating the McLoed's, Stortini's, Eagers, Valabik's, Neal's and Konopka's of the league. Until then, he's no Rick Rypien.

Oh yeah... he's also from FRANCE.
But he handed Carcillo his lunch and Carcillo has fought every known heavyweight in the league

I will tell you this, Irwin certainly knows Roussel now. Don't mess with the mad fists if the crazy frenchman. I was hoping that Mallet was gonna be our Roussel. Not looking to good.

Don't you worry, the McLeod vs Roussel fight is cometh. Gonna be a doozy

I thought the 6' 195 lb Roussel faired ok against the 6'4" 225 lb Kassian. Fists were flying!
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

This is apparently not a joke --> MLSE to raise Bon Jovi banner at Air Canada Centre on Nov 2.

What the fuck?
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

herb wrote:This is apparently not a joke --> MLSE to raise Bon Jovi banner at Air Canada Centre on Nov 2.

What the fuck?
Anywhere else but Toronto, and this would be a disgrace. - LINK
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

RoyalDude wrote:Even though Weaver is no stranger yo danger, ain't the first time he's dropped his mitts and will not be the last, he picked the battle but chose the wrong one, Roussel obliged and let loose the hounds. Lesson learned
3 fights in 500 NHL games, well 2 before Roussel "annihilated" him by getting in a couple big punches and then fighting him to a draw after..

:lol:
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Here you see a guy with a Visor get saved by the Refs:

And here you see a guy (no visor) giving up 8 inches and 60 pounds getting a win.

They are in completely different classes. Rypien is arguably the best pound for pound fighter in recent memory. Roussel is a quick-handed frenchman hiding behind a shield picking his fights.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

dbr wrote:Thoughts on the hit John Scott put on Loui Eriksson?
Probably the worst of the bunch we've seen already this year. Add in the fact it was a useless goon head hunting a start player, and this should easily result in the worst suspension.

Regier sure has done a wonderful job getting "tougher" since the Lucic/Miller incident, hasn't he? :D
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Roussel will never be Rypper. That would be like saying Kassian will be Milan Lucic. Merely stating some similarities. Rypper is a Canuck legend

Can't wait to play Dallas . Will it be a Kassian/Roussel rematch or will Bieksa man up
With Roussel? You just know that Roussel will go looking for Bieska
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

herb wrote:
Probably the worst of the bunch we've seen already this year. Add in the fact it was a useless goon head hunting a start player, and this should easily result in the worst suspension.

Regier sure has done a wonderful job getting "tougher" since the Lucic/Miller incident, hasn't he? :D
Really.

Like I said elsewhere I don't fukin' know what's what anymore with regards to the hits we're supposed to get into hysterics about but to me it was firmly in the grey area with respect to virtually everything (not very late, not a blindside IMO, elbow tucked, probably charging but he did more or less glide into the hit) technical except for the POC which I mean, at John Scott's height what are you supposed to do? How is he supposed to not hit a guy in the head in that situation? I joked about Pronger Physics earlier but even in those cases it was about Pronger elbowing guys in the head which didn't happen here.

Don't get me wrong I think the spirit of the hit was extremely predatory but.. so what? IMO in this case you can't draw a distinction between the kind of predatory that makes hockey great (ie. hit to hurt) and the kind that we can probably all agree needs to be addressed (ie. hit to injure) unless you look at the names on the jerseys and that's problematic for obvious reasons.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Aside from the pretty clear charge I thought it was more or less just a case of Pronger Physics..

Althought my feelings about the Bruins may be affecting my objectivity on this one. :look:
Not happy! I've expected Loui to play with the twins at the Olympics, just as he did when Sweden won the world championship last spring. Hope he is OK. :(
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.