OOTS: 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: OOTS: 2013-14

Post by BigTuna »

The Brown Knight wrote:
BurningBeard wrote:
The Brown Knight wrote:Even if the leaves get in to the playoffs, does anyone really expect them to get out of the first two rounds?
If they got out of the 1st round I think we'd have a new national holiday.
Toronto is a strange city.

The Raptors in basketball are having a terrific season by their standards, but hardly anyone seems to care. They just seem so damned depressed about their hockey team possibly missing the playoffs.

By contrast - I think if Vancouver had an NBA team or an MLB team and one of those teams was doing really well (while the Canucks were non-playoff bound), then I suspect Vancouverites would be far more receptive.

Even with baseball - I think it's just weird that Torontonians hold guys like Sundin, Gilmour, Wendel Clark, etc., on higher pedastals than guys like Roberto Alomar, Joe Carter, etc..........despite the latter having actually won championships for the city.
It would be the same for any Canadian city. Hockey is a bigger deal than Baseball. Also, you're forgetting Toronto set the all-time attendance record when the team was a contender. 50 thousand every single game.

And Toronto has always had better attendance for the Raptors than Vancouver did for the Grizzlies.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

The Brown Knight wrote: I think it's just weird that Torontonians hold guys like Sundin, Gilmour, Wendel Clark, etc., on higher pedastals than guys like Roberto Alomar, Joe Carter, etc..........despite the latter having actually won championships for the city.
I don't. Who gives a shit about baseball?
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Per and BigTuna,

In most major North American cities, fans will get behind their team BIG TIME if said team is having a great year in said Major Sport...........be it hockey, football, baseball, basketball, etc., etc.

Take Boston for instance. Whether it's NFL, NBA, MLB, or NHL, the fans will get behind their team big time. I'm guessing that most Bostonians hold Football and Baseball in higher regard than Hockey and even Basketball, but there is unbelievably huge support for all of their major sports franchises. Huge celebrations occur regardless of which major sporting team wins.

Ditto for cities like Chicago and Detroit.

I also suspect that if Vancouver had an NFL team and/or an NBA team or MLB team, the city would REALLY get behind that particular team if said particular team was in playoffs and were overachieving.

(In response to BigTuna - the Vancouver Grizzlies always sucked and so the fans never really had a reason to care about them after the first two seasons).

The Toronto Raptors are having a really good season by their standards, and the reaction has been lukewarm at best. I don't think this would be the case in Vancouver.

I also suspect that if Joe Carter hit his World Series winning homer, and the team was..............The Vancouver Blue Jays, Carter would easily be the biggest sporting hero in Vancouver (unless a Canucks team won the cup).

Guys like Linden, Bure, and Smyl would not be bigger than Joe Carter. In Toronto however, guys like Sundin, Gilmour, and Clark are held in higher regard than Joe Carter despite those guys never winning anything (Gilmour's cup victory was with the Flames).
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

The Brown Knight wrote:Per and BigTuna,

In most major North American cities, fans will get behind their team BIG TIME if said team is having a great year in said Major Sport...........be it hockey, football, baseball, basketball, etc., etc.

Take Boston for instance. Whether it's NFL, NBA, MLB, or NHL, the fans will get behind their team big time. I'm guessing that most Bostonians hold Football and Baseball in higher regard than Hockey and even Basketball, but there is unbelievably huge support for all of their major sports franchises. Huge celebrations occur regardless of which major sporting team wins.

Ditto for cities like Chicago and Detroit.

I also suspect that if Vancouver had an NFL team and/or an NBA team or MLB team, the city would REALLY get behind that particular team if said particular team was in playoffs and were overachieving.

(In response to BigTuna - the Vancouver Grizzlies always sucked and so the fans never really had a reason to care about them after the first two seasons).

The Toronto Raptors are having a really good season by their standards, and the reaction has been lukewarm at best. I don't think this would be the case in Vancouver.

I also suspect that if Joe Carter hit his World Series winning homer, and the team was..............The Vancouver Blue Jays, Carter would easily be the biggest sporting hero in Vancouver (unless a Canucks team won the cup).

Guys like Linden, Bure, and Smyl would not be bigger than Joe Carter. In Toronto however, guys like Sundin, Gilmour, and Clark are held in higher regard than Joe Carter despite those guys never winning anything (Gilmour's cup victory was with the Flames).

The Blue Jays in their best years were massive. Again, they were the first city ever to get over 4 million fans. They did get behind them.

The Carter homerun is indeed recognized as the greatest event in Toronto's sporting history. I think if anything, it's greatness is forgotten in the U.S because of where it happened.

When Vince Carter was in Toronto, the Raptors were massive. Vicanity was everywhere.

The problem riht now is every team is playing bad. Yes, the Raptors have surprised, but look at the conference they're in. It's simple to get in the playoffs in the NBA East. There are so many teams "tanking" in the NBA it's sad.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

BigTuna wrote:
The Blue Jays in their best years were massive. Again, they were the first city ever to get over 4 million fans. They did get behind them.

The Carter homerun is indeed recognized as the greatest event in Toronto's sporting history. I think if anything, it's greatness is forgotten in the U.S because of where it happened.

When Vince Carter was in Toronto, the Raptors were massive. Vicanity was everywhere.

The problem riht now is every team is playing bad. Yes, the Raptors have surprised, but look at the conference they're in. It's simple to get in the playoffs in the NBA East. There are so many teams "tanking" in the NBA it's sad.
Fair enough Tuna..........and that's actually a pretty good rebuttal on your part. I think I can agree with most of what you said.

Having said that - I am a bit disappointed that the Raptors *at current* aren't drawing more interest. As a major sport in a major city.......and as a team that is playing quite well for their standards, they deserve a bit more respect from the locale's. Atleast that's how I see it. Raptors are playoff bound. leaves, in all likelihood, will not be.

Carter's homer is the greatest sporting moment in TO history (and as a Blue Jays fan, it's also my favorite sporting moment in history), but I still get a sense that Torontonians consider hold guys like Doug Gilmour, Mats Sundin, and Wendel Clark in higher regard.......since they were leaves. I could be wrong on that, but that's just the general feeling that I get.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

The Brown Knight wrote:
BigTuna wrote:

Fair enough Tuna..........and that's actually a pretty good rebuttal on your part. I think I can agree with most of what you said.

Having said that - I am a bit disappointed that the Raptors *at current* aren't drawing more interest. As a major sport in a major city.......and as a team that is playing quite well for their standards, they deserve a bit more respect from the locale's. Atleast that's how I see it. Raptors are playoff bound. leaves, in all likelihood, will not be.

Carter's homer is the greatest sporting moment in TO history (and as a Blue Jays fan, it's also my favorite sporting moment in history), but I still get a sense that Torontonians consider hold guys like Doug Gilmour, Mats Sundin, and Wendel Clark in higher regard.......since they were leaves. I could be wrong on that, but that's just the general feeling that I get.
You are correct. They do hold their Leaf players in higher regards. Hockey is #1. I think right now no team can give them a challenge because every team has been doing poorly. I think you'll see some really thusiastic crowds for the Raptors in the playoffs.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

GM, the examples you give - Boston, Chicago, Detroit - are moot. They are all in the US, a country that refers to baseball as their national pastime. Of course they might give a shit about baseball.

The Great White North is different. We who live closer to the rapidly melting polar cap prefer hockey.
Simple as that. Sure, geographically speaking Toronto might just as well be in the US, but still. They do count as Canadian, and therefor it only seems logical that the pedestal they put their hockey heroes on is far taller than the paddle stool reserved for the lesser sports.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

leaves win in OT against Boston but Bernier hurt again. Tough just got tougher.
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hockey Widow wrote:leaves win in OT against Boston but Bernier hurt again. Tough just got tougher.
And CBJ wins to stay a point up with two games in hand.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Yeah the two games in hand means the leaves pretty much have to win out.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Bernier done for season with sprained MCL. leaves done for season with Bernier done for season. Reimer household on alert level yellow, or is it orange, maybe red.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Hockey Widow wrote:Bernier done for season with sprained MCL. leaves done for season with Bernier done for season. Reimer household on alert level yellow, or is it orange, maybe red.
Maaaaaaan....

Poor Reimer... what did he do to deserve this?
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Mason "Free Pass" Raymond

:lol:
RoyalDude wrote: Mason Raymond with the game winner in the 3rd! LOL. His 19th goal. Yeah, real brilliant letting him walk.
Insert Docs archiving carpet bombing, his last resort before falling over the cliff :mex:
RoyalDude wrote:Whoa! What is Mason '$1 million' Raymond doing with 10 goals and 14 assists? Fuckin' Hell! 4 helpers last night? Always thought he was a good playmaking winger when him and Kesler had that good chemistry going once
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

leaves lose, leaves lose, leaves lose.

Hey doc, wash you hands!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:leaves lose, leaves lose, leaves lose.

Hey doc, wash you hands!
:lol:

If they had win the leaves would have had a 30% chance of making the playoffs.....instead they get outshot 41-25 and lose 4-2. They now have a 9% chance of making it.

:D