OOTS: 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dangler
MVP
MVP

Re: OOTS: 2013-14

Post by dangler »

Hockey Widow wrote: I don't think the NHL has the balls to suspend him for more than 10 games. Kassian got 8 for careless use of his stick resulting in a major injury. What is a deliberate attack worth?
If your a repeat offender & a Bruin? Maybe 4 games..anyone else in the league? probably 12 games min.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Hockey Widow wrote:Neal was being called for a penalty on the play. It was a target to the head on a vulnerable player. Don't know if he got injured on the play. Neal is a repeat offender. I say he gets 1-2 games.

Thornton's was a deliberate attack on a player in retaliation. Thornton didn't even drop his gloves. Thornton is a repeat offender. Don't know if Thoronton was on the ice before the play ended. Orprik was clearly injured. I say he gets 8-10 games.

I don't think the NHL has the balls to suspend him for more than 10 games. Kassian got 8 for careless use of his stick resulting in a major injury. What is a deliberate attack worth?
Seriously, Thornton's attack on Orpik was far worse than Bertuzzi's on Moore. Bertuzzi sank Moore with one sucker punch. That's all he did. Then he tripped on Moore's stick and landed on top of him, and a dog pile with Moore at the bottom ensued. Still one sucker punch is all Beruzzi did.

Then look at Thornton. First he slew foots Orpik, then beats him senseless when he is already down. Keeps hammering in blows till the refs pull him away.

Whatever Bertuzzi got, Thornton should have twice that.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Damage control time for the beloved HNIC favorite - Shawn Thornton, Ron 'spin doctor' MacLean will fix Thorntons rep from this with his classic sweep it under the carpet quietly with low fanfare while turning our attentions to other topics, like talking about his beloved 2 Albertan teams on Canada's true west coast.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

If you consider Hansen getting suspended for 1 game for recklessly playing a puck w/ hand...and Edler getting suspended 2 games for running over Smith (outside of his crease), Kassian 8 games for careless use of his stick, and Edler 3 games for having a poor "angle" on Hertl....Jacobs, err I mean Shanahan will give Thornton 5 games and say Orpik didn't fight him as the reason.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

I don't think Thornton will be playing hockey again this season.

This was assault and battery starting with the blind side slewfoot and ending with the ground and pound.

Worse than the McSorley / Brasher hit IMO as this wasn't even during play. Play had stopped.

Thornton absolutely lost his mind when he chose to do this.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

ClamRussel wrote:If you consider Hansen getting suspended for 1 game for recklessly playing a puck w/ hand...and Edler getting suspended 2 games for running over Smith (outside of his crease), Kassian 8 games for careless use of his stick, and Edler 3 games for having a poor "angle" on Hertl....Jacobs, err I mean Shanahan will give Thornton 5 games and say Orpik didn't fight him as the reason.
Yep. Gotta love the meat puppets saying that "if only Orpik would've fought" as if that somehow excuses what Thornton did. When you lay a clean hit, you shouldn't have to fight the other teams' goon. I think Thornton deserves 20 games. There is a big difference between making a high hit, or losing control of your stick in the heat of the game. Chasing someone down during a stoppage, dragging them to the ice from behind and beating defenceless players unconscious is criminal.

If you want to get rid of the gratuitous violence in hockey, this is the place to start. Furthermore, Thornton is as close to useless as a hockey player can get. He's got a slight edge on ability over a guy like John Scott. He's the perfect guy to banish. The Bruins won't miss him. Considering Kaleta got 10 games, John Scott 7... this is easily twice as bad as anything we've seen this year. If I'm the NHL, I'd be very worried. THAT kind of play, and the resulting brain injury, is what lawsuits are made of. Anything under 15 games should be considered "light".

That being said, he's a Bruin. Neal will get 3 games for his knee to Marchand's head (he should get a case of beer and a high five) and Shanahan will say that because injury didn't result it could've been worse, and Thronton will get 6 for his premeditated assault, because he's not a repeat offender (as if that lessens the violent nature of the incident), and Shanahan will use his hit on Eriksson as a reason he deserved to get nearly murdered.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

I would argue against the hit on Eriksson being clean.
Eriksson did not have the puck, so any hit must be at least interference.

Of course, this doesn't justify what Thornton did.
Thornton should be suspended for the season, anything less is a travesty.
But of course I don't expect that to happen... Guess we'll have to make do with ten or twenty. :roll:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

mathonwy wrote:I don't think Thornton will be playing hockey again this season.

This was assault and battery starting with the blind side slewfoot and ending with the ground and pound.

Worse than the McSorley / Brasher hit IMO as this wasn't even during play. Play had stopped.

Thornton absolutely lost his mind when he chose to do this.
:lol: Worse than Marty's axe swing. I hate the Bruins too but come on. It's a ten - fifteen game suspension .

And Per the Orpik hit was as clean as a whistle. Nothing wrong with it at all. Watch again and Eriksson touches the puck right as he gets decked. Take those hits out of the game and they may as well ban hitting all together.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Per wrote: Thornton should be suspended for the season, anything less is a travesty.
But of course I don't expect that to happen... Guess we'll have to make do with ten or twenty. :roll:
Maybe not the entire season but 20-30 games should suffice, Thornton pretty much admitted it was all wrong and unjustifiable, understands it will be a long suspension. (no source) ha
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Island Nucklehead wrote:, and Thronton will get 6 for his premeditated assault, because he's not a repeat offender (as if that lessens the violent nature of the incident), and Shanahan will use his hit on Eriksson as a reason he deserved to get nearly murdered.
Say what!! :shock: ...i guess i just assumed 'cause he crushed poor old MayRays spine that he was a repeat offender. My bad
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Delete
Last edited by Benjo on Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

dangler wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:, and Thronton will get 6 for his premeditated assault, because he's not a repeat offender (as if that lessens the violent nature of the incident), and Shanahan will use his hit on Eriksson as a reason he deserved to get nearly murdered.

Say what!! :shock: ...i guess i just assumed 'cause he crushed poor old MayRays spine that he was a repeat offender. My bad
I do believe that was Boychuck that broke Raymond's back.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

^
Ya it was Boychuck and he should have been given 5 for boarding and been suspended the same as Rome. He drove Raymond bum first into the boards. But what pissed me off more were the bruin fans chanting faker, faker, then booing when he skated off.
The only HW the Canucks need
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

doh!! :oops: :mex: :mex:
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote:^
Ya it was Boychuck and he should have been given 5 for boarding and been suspended the same as Rome. He drove Raymond bum first into the boards. But what pissed me off more were the bruin fans chanting faker, faker, then booing when he skated off.
Yep. Same thing as cheering when Marchand low-bridged Salo. Also a few people suggesting Orpik somehow faked his injury so he didn't have to answer for a clean hit.

Dr Mark Recchi's legacy lives on...