OOTS: 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: OOTS: 2013-14

Post by sagebrush »

herb wrote:
SKYO wrote:Yeah I was angered by Schultz and Eakins going over there but I am pretty frickin' happy with JayG and Torts!!! :D

So should we help em out Edler for Yak? loljk
Yeah, I was hoping for Eakins, but after seeing his team play along with some of his stupid comments I am glad we have Torts, who seems like an exceptional coach.
Back in June, I called the possible hiring of Torts a 'high risk move', but it looks to be paying off. Gillis deserves some kudos for this one.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Was at the OTT-DAL game, and one player who just stood out to me was Nikushkin. The guy is a physical freak for an 18 year-old who can motor and whip a wrister as strong as anybody. He broke through both Ottawa D on a rush and let off a wicked wrister. Then he later scored on another wrister off the rush. The kid was all over the puck in the offensive zone and is the reason Anderson got knocked out of the game - running into the goalie on a drive to the net.

Quite happy that Gillis got Horvat in last summer's draft, and there is always the Russian factor, but it would have been a helluva thing if the Canucks would have drafted him. Only three points so far this season, and it was only one game, but in that one game he did look like the real deal.

Hope Anderson is alright though. He was down on the ice for a while and left on a stretcher.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Boston Canucker wrote:Eakins may turn out to be a good coach. I think most of the blame goes on management, such as not addressing goaltending and D. That said, there is absolutely no doubt that a good deal of the Eakins hype is directly a product of the national media leaves hype. If he had the exact same record in the AHL with any other franchise, any one, there is no way he'd have gained this status as the next one, in coaching terms. The guy may turn out to be a good one, but this goes to support my general view that all leaves related players, coaches etc are always overvalued...whatever happend to Justin Pogge!?!
No goaltending + no D = sub .500 season. The Coilers brass just don't get it. Nurse may turn out alright, but MacT has to swallow hard and deal one of his precious kiddies (and no, nobody should be sacred) for a stud defensive D-man. Weber and a 1st for RNH and a 1st, or something along those lines might be what he needs to do if that team is ever going to have a hope. While he's at it, he may pull his head out of his ass long enough to realize Dubnyk is a broken toy that will never fix itself so he may as well swing for another fence and get a real goalie.

Then again, watching the Coilers wallow in mediocrity while piling up draft picks is enough fun that I would be happier if they just stayed the course. :lol:

Hate the League.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Lancer wrote: Then again, watching the Coilers wallow in mediocrity while piling up draft picks is enough fun that I would be happier if they just stayed the course. :lol:
Yeah Lancer don't give em any good ideals!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I know it's early, the season is young and it will change but it must really irk the Oiler fans seeing their hated sister city - Calgary with a team of NO-Stars playing way better than them, a team, the Oilers, with supposedly a plethora of future stars of the league. LOL

Right On, Kevin Lowe, keep on trying to build the next Gretzky dynasty all the while totally not realizing the game has changed massively since your glory days with Gretz.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Art Vandelay
CC Veteran

Post by Art Vandelay »

RoyalDude wrote:I know it's early, the season is young and it will change but it must really irk the Oiler fans seeing their hated sister city - Calgary with a team of NO-Stars playing way better than them, a team, the Oilers, with supposedly a plethora of future stars of the league. LOL

Right On, Kevin Lowe, keep on trying to build the next Gretzky dynasty all the while totally not realizing the game has changed massively since your glory days with Gretz.
Yet you have licked the asscrack of Oilers management for the great rebuild they have done in Edmonton.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Hockey Widow wrote:Eakins was supposed to be the coach who could work miracles for the younger players. He was supposed to be that guy that could take a young, inexperienced team full of potential and take them to that next level. I can see why he barely got past his first interview with the Canucks.
In my mind, that's not the sort of coach the Oilers need. They need someone with experience. A guy like Ruff or Hitch. They do not need a rookie NHL coach, to go with their roster of rookie players.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

BurningBeard wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Eakins was supposed to be the coach who could work miracles for the younger players. He was supposed to be that guy that could take a young, inexperienced team full of potential and take them to that next level. I can see why he barely got past his first interview with the Canucks.
In my mind, that's not the sort of coach the Oilers need. They need someone with experience. A guy like Ruff or Hitch. They do not need a rookie NHL coach, to go with their roster of rookie players.
What? An experienced guy who would have the cojones to call bullshit on management's retarded efforts at building a team and the resume to back it up? No way in God's green earth. Lowe and MacT would rather have some young gonna-be who they can brow-beat into playing their tune, while still being the fall-guy when things fall apart again.

One of these days Katz is going to stop sniffing what Lowe is pushing and fire the cromagnon.

Hate the League.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

RoyalDude wrote:I know it's early, the season is young and it will change but it must really irk the Oiler fans seeing their hated sister city - Calgary with a team of NO-Stars playing way better than them, a team, the Oilers, with supposedly a plethora of future stars of the league. LOL

Hey RD whe did you fall off the Oiler band wagon.
The only HW the Canucks need
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

Re the Oilers; I think Gretzky said it best. They're a mickey mouse organization.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:

Hey RD whe did you fall off the Oiler band wagon.
:o :lol:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

RD just fell off the coiler bandwagon and climbed onto the flamers bandwagon guaranteeing the flamers will soon be tanking. I just hope he stays off our bandwagon.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

McDonagh likes Perry...

... can I keep him coach??
____
Try to focus on someday.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Nikushkin...had a nice game against Ottawa. Might have been his first. Pretty bad and lazy against the habs from my seat.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Boston Canucker wrote: Eakins may turn out to be a good coach. I think most of the blame goes on management, such as not addressing goaltending and D. That said, there is absolutely no doubt that a good deal of the Eakins hype is directly a product of the national media leaves hype. If he had the exact same record in the AHL with any other franchise, any one, there is no way he'd have gained this status as the next one, in coaching terms. The guy may turn out to be a good one, but this goes to support my general view that all leaves related players, coaches etc are always overvalued...whatever happend to Justin Pogge!?!
Truth. But I've read in a couple places that this is the worst start in Oilers history. So some of that has to go on the 84th coach in the past 5 years...
Yes, I agree. It's interesting watching a vet coach like Torts v a new one like Eakins. Torts, in part humbled by the Rangers experience, speaks at this point in a more measured way about things taking time, what he knows and what he does not know about his team, and trying to figure out what works as they get to know one another over the course of the season. On the other hand, Eakins talks like he invented hockey sometimes, when thus far he has been an NHL assistant and an AHL head coach. He apparently brought in some new defensive "swarm" system not realizing NHL players react much more quickly, so now he has backed off. He's a rookie coach in the end, maybe a good one in time, but he's also learning the ropes...spells bad news for an Oilers team that once again is going to be preaching wait till next year.