Canucks Training Camp - News & Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dangler
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Training Camp - News & Notes

Post by dangler »

I'd can't see Kassian sticking with the twins, it didn't work last year and nothin much has changed. We've all seen in the past how difficult it is to find someone who meshes with them and Burrows does it well. I have my doubts how well Kassian will work with Kess/Booth but he seems like the only RW option for that line at this point.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

dangler wrote:I'd can't see Kassian sticking with the twins, it didn't work last year and nothin much has changed. We've all seen in the past how difficult it is to find someone who meshes with them and Burrows does it well. I have my doubts how well Kassian will work with Kess/Booth but he seems like the only RW option for that line at this point.
Yah 5 goals in 7 games was just not good enough AV did the right thing to demote the youngster. That should teach him to get a ppg.. In the future on s 4 the line somewhere...sheet man give the kid a good chance..half a frikken season. Non-stop
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

The problem is how wimpy the twins are with Burrows. Make it a powerplay unit but 5 on 5 they need someone to give a little push back. Kass got 7 games, scored 5 goals then was swapped. I think that had more to do with the fact that the twins weren't producing rather than Kassian not playing well enough.

Maybe they don't contend for Art Ross or Hart trophys but are better prepared for the physicality of hockey after April. This is the focus after all
If you need air...call it in
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Maybe they don't contend for Art Ross or Hart trophys but are better prepared for the physicality of hockey after April. This is the focus after all
Yep. I could care less if we don't have a PPG guy. LA hasn't had one since Kopitar scored 81 in 82 in 2009-10. Boston hasn't had one since Marc Savard was thinking correctly. Score when it counts. Winning 2-1 or 7-1 is still Winning.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Well the beauty of this year is that the Zack Fan Club don't have AV to blame fir his struggles. It's all up to zack now

Hey Ratski, carter, king and klatt scored at a pretty good clip playing with the twins. The first 20 games if the season is rife with players hot out of the gate only to come back down to earth when the grind if the season really starts. It amazes me as to how some go blind to the weaker parts to zacks game that he gets criticized for, the whole "he scored 5 goals in 7 games " is not a good barometer for his game over the full course of the season, we all know that the 5 goals in 7 out of the gate is not a true reflection on the player. Lou is a notorious slow starter, is that a true barometer on his game for the full season? History says no
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Uncle dans leg wrote:The problem is how wimpy the twins are with Burrows. Make it a powerplay unit but 5 on 5 they need someone to give a little push back. Kass got 7 games, scored 5 goals then was swapped. I think that had more to do with the fact that the twins weren't producing rather than Kassian not playing well enough.

Maybe they don't contend for Art Ross or Hart trophys but are better prepared for the physicality of hockey after April. This is the focus after all
That's a good way to think about it, Kassian does provide protection which bodes well for the long haul and with time they will get comfortable with each other's play creating chemistry.

Then all Kass has to is just stay along the boards for the cycle and skate in front of the net to pop in goals.

Plus ever since Kassian has got here he has shown to have some good passing skills with a simple cycling technique as well.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

SKYO wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:The problem is how wimpy the twins are with Burrows. Make it a powerplay unit but 5 on 5 they need someone to give a little push back. Kass got 7 games, scored 5 goals then was swapped. I think that had more to do with the fact that the twins weren't producing rather than Kassian not playing well enough.

That's a good way to think about it, Kassian does provide protection which bodes well for the long haul and with time they will get comfortable with each other's play creating chemistry.

Then all Kass has to is just stay along the boards for the cycle and skate in front of the net to pop in goals.

Plus ever since Kassian has got here he has shown to have some good passing skills with a simple cycling technique as well.
I have yet to see other teams play the twins differently with Kassian on their wing.

We lack toughness throughout the line-up. I'm not talking useless 4th line Hordichuks. That is the problem
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote: I have yet to see other teams play the twins differently with Kassian on their wing.

We lack toughness throughout the line-up. I'm not talking useless 4th line Hordichuks. That is the problem
I see it, teams don't take as much liberties with em when he's around, especially after the whistle.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

SKYO wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: I have yet to see other teams play the twins differently with Kassian on their wing.

I see it, teams don't take as much liberties with em when he's around, especially after the whistle.
Yep. It was easy to see after every stoppage of play. It really doesn't matter who he's out there with. Other teams don't want to tangle with Kassian. A lot of scrums ended mighty quick last season as soon as he engaged.

But IF he's going to play with the Sedins, he needs to put up points. Personally, I think playing him the odd 5-on-5 with Hank and Dan would be fine. I don't think he can play as many minutes as them. So, play him with them at even strength to start the game, and see where it goes. The other thing is, Torts is going to give the fighters a longer leash. Look for Zack to beat the piss out of someone for anything that happens to the Sedins while he's on the bench.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

RoyalDude wrote:Well the beauty of this year is that the Zack Fan Club don't have AV to blame fir his struggles. It's all up to zack now

Hey Ratski, carter, king and klatt scored at a pretty good clip playing with the twins. The first 20 games if the season is rife with players hot out of the gate only to come back down to earth when the grind if the season really starts. It amazes me as to how some go blind to the weaker parts to zacks game that he gets criticized for, the whole "he scored 5 goals in 7 games " is not a good barometer for his game over the full course of the season, we all know that the 5 goals in 7 out of the gate is not a true reflection on the player. Lou is a notorious slow starter, is that a true barometer on his game for the full season? History says no
Maybe not but but it isn't a bad reading on the barometer either.. Give the kid a chance ffs....at least there would be no punching bag demonstration on daniel
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

Based on the pre-season, the opening lineup (subject to injury) looks to be:

Sedin/Sedin/Kassian
Booth/Kesler/Burrows
Higgins/Santorelli/Hansen
Sestito/Richardson/Weise

Hamhuis/Garrison
Edler/Bieksa
Alberts/Tanev

Luongo
Lack

The kids (notably Gaunce, Corrado) can sub in, & change that later.

Torts probably has other ideas, but he can look here for inspiration. ;)

Your predictions ??
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Pretty much the same Sage except I think Higgy/Rich/Hansen create a much more solid 3rd line, plus they have shown some instant chemistry in the scrimmages.

Edler will no way in hell play with Bieksa as they play atrociously together haha.

And I think Gaunce will work his way in through the lineup this year.
Starting from the bottom and then with injuries will work his way up.

Sedins - Kass
Booth - RK - Burrows
Higgins - Richardson - Hansen
Gaunce - Santos - Weise/Sestito

Edler - JayG
Hammy - Juice
Corrado -Alberts - Tanev
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

sagebrush wrote:Based on the pre-season, the opening lineup (subject to injury) looks to be:

Your predictions ??
Sedin/Sedin/Kassian
Booth/Kesler/Burrows
Higgins/Richardson/Hansen
Gaunce/Santorelli/Weise

Garrison/Corrado
Hamhuis/Bieksa
Edler/Tanev

Luongo
Lack

... with the 3 centres Santorelli/Gaunce/Richardson shuffled around

... Kassian and Burrows switched back and forth

... Garrison, Hamhuis, Edler, Bieksa receiving the bulk of the icetime (in that order!)

... Weber and Corrado swapped in and out throughout the season.

... when Alberts plays: Edler/Garrison Hamhuis/Bieksa Alberts/Tanev.

Not sure what the happens with Schroeder, anyone think we could sneak him down on waivers? :look:

LTIR?? :look:

Last edited by Strangelove on Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote: Edler will no way in hell play with Bieksa as they play atrociously together haha.
So you're saying AV was not a playoff genius? :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

SKYO wrote: Edler will no way in hell play with Bieksa as they play atrociously together

haha.
Both are prone to the odd airhead play. Meanwhile, Hamhuis & Garrison were our steadiest Dmen. We'll see how much Torts likes to load up lines/pairs & assign ice time accordingly (+ how long till he shuffles the deck).

Regardless, am looking forward to seeing how KB & AE respond to Torts.

It would be interesting to see Hamhuis/Bieksa, Garrison/Corrado, Edler/Tanev (all on their natural sides) but I'm not expecting it any time soon.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.