Canucks Training Camp - News & Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: Canucks Training Camp - News & Notes

Post by ClamRussel »

Plus the roster will get crowded when Kassian & Shroeder return. Lets see what happens after 9 games if they're still on the roster. Nothing wrong w/ giving them some action, they haven't looked out of place at this point.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

SKYO wrote:
Canucks acquire Zac Dalpe and Jeremy Welsh from Hurricanes for Kellan Tochkin and a 2014 4th rounder
Hmm.. seems like a decent move. Get a couple guys to help out the Comets and potential call-ups if needed. Both guys are still fairly young with some outside potential.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Gave up a nothing prospect and a 4th round pick (about 10% chance such a pick makes the NHL) for some AHL/NHL tweener depth. Something the organization needed. Lots of people freaking out over a 4th round pick but whatever.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Potatoe1 wrote:Richardson looked good with Hansen and Higgens, but everyone does. While playing with other 4th liners he has looked like the 4th liner that he's been in LA. I was hoping for an upgrade on Lappy, but I'm not seeing it.
I noted this when the deal was done.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Potatoe1 wrote:Lets face it since the Bruins series Gillis has been all over the map. He's went on this quest to add toughness which was totally unnecessary. Now he seems to be obsessed with getting younger but none of our kids are ready.

Now it's just odd move after odd move...

He lets a perfect fit in Ehrhoff walk, and yet keeps Ballard 4.25 mill contract.
Erhoff's asking price was way out of line for Vancouver's overall salary structure and defence salary structure. There was no way GMMG could afford him. Nice take on revisionist history though.
Potatoe1 wrote:He lets another great fit in Aaron Rome go for 1.5 and then signs Alberts to a deal at 1.2.
A puzzle yes, but size I suppose for the 7th guy.
Potatoe1 wrote:Luongo / Schneider mess.
A mess in the media only.
Potatoe1 wrote:Does not appear to have gotten equal value for Cody Hodgson.

Trades Hodgson in previous season then sends a second rounder last year for a small, soft, skill, skill forward to play on the second line. Ironically the player we got was the same player the Sabers deemed expendable due to the Cody Hodgson trade. (are we confused or just changing our mind?).

Tells Raymond to talk a walk this off season when we clearly could use the depth.
Cody and Roy are similar in stature only. One is a two way player capable of playing centre and wing, the other is one of the worst (using your beloved advanced stats) defensive players in the league. And a headcase to boot.

I've been one of the biggest defenders of Raymond on the boards. I was defending him back when you wanted him gone for a 2nd round pick. But I still noted his position in the line up would always be challenged by a more physical player.

That is the role Kassian should be playing on this team. The 2/3 line forward, not pencilled in with the twins.
Potatoe1 wrote:Signs a garbage player in Sestito for 2 years.
Bizarre is all I can say.
Potatoe1 wrote:Says we want to get bigger and tougher then replaces Lappy with a smaller and less tough Brad Richardson.
Don't tell Tant.
Potatoe1 wrote:And lets face it the strangest move of all was who he hired as coach. Now I don't actually mind Torts as a coach but he is the exact opposite of what Gillis has been preaching since his arrival. Torts is an old school fire and brimstone type guy who will most likely get some short term results out of this crew.
How so. Please elaborate.
Potatoe1 wrote:That said if Gillis truly was the guy he claimed to be when he first came in then he would have hired one of the up and coming new age types like Dallas Eakins. Going with Torts was a short term reactionary move from a guy who has clearly lost some of his swagger.
I don't believe this team is in a situation where you go with an unproven/unkown product. The more I see and read of Torts, the more I'm liking the signing. I'm not sure what you mean by new age, but Tors seems to embrace much of what Gillis hs been doing behind the scenes with travel/sleep/conditioning and what not.

The biggest change is in leadership and delegation. Torts is in control, he does not shed any of his leadership role to the core leadership in the dressing room as his predecessor did.
Potatoe1 wrote:It's all very concerning.
No it isn't.

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Topper wrote: The more I see and read of Torts, the more I'm liking the signing. I'm not sure what you mean by new age, but Tors seems to embrace much of what Gillis hs been doing behind the scenes with travel/sleep/conditioning and what not.

The biggest change is in leadership and delegation. Torts is in control, he does not shed any of his leadership role to the core leadership in the dressing room as his predecessor did.
This is an interesting point. I like the Sedins on-ice abilities but am not so sure leadership was ever their greatest asset.

How much leadership is required by players to succeed can be debated until the cows come home but the changes made to relieve this real or perceived pressure can only be a positive if you are looking at squeezing out one more swing for the fence with this core.

When I heard about Torts coming in, I also could only think of the negatives generated by all the media and the sensationalized crap out of NY...but what the truth appears to be is that he is much less like what has been portrayed and a far more calculating, assertive and emotionally invested coach.

Of course all it would take is for him to rip Tony Cadavers' head off for the vultures to appear scribbling "I told you so-I told you so"
If you need air...call it in
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

SKYO wrote:Gillis starts his notorious trading away his draft picks already...
The chance of a 4th round player making the NHL is almost 0% so Dalpe has a better chance of making the team so this is not giving away anything. Some players just don't mesh with the team that picks them and a change can help. Who knows where Dalpe ends but who knows. He has some size and shots R again only time will tell.

I think this is a good trade and fills some of our call ups with youth.

Now unlike some of you others the Canucks do need to keep at least 1 youth on the team and give them the minutes they need to make the team better long term. Or like others we can let them rot on their junior team or sit in the AHL until they "earn" their time up :roll:
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Topper wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:Says we want to get bigger and tougher then replaces Lappy with a smaller and less tough Brad Richardson.
Don't tell Tant.
?????

I'm not sure I've ever really commented on Richardson let alone got into a comparison of toughness etc. The only thing I really know is that LaPierre is a penalty taking machine along with others on the roster. But LaPierre was the easiest one to jettison. So he was.

If I had my druthers about Kings to sign or acquire for the bottom 6 it wouldn't have been Richardson.....
hist
CC Rookie

Post by hist »

Horvat's been sent back to Junior. I assume to make room for Dalpe?

https://twitter.com/SNETPacific/status/ ... 9127789568
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Reefer2 wrote:
SKYO wrote:Gillis starts his notorious trading away his draft picks already...
The chance of a 4th round player making the NHL is almost 0% so Dalpe has a better chance of making the team so this is not giving away anything. Some players just don't mesh with the team that picks them and a change can help. Who knows where Dalpe ends but who knows. He has some size and shots R again only time will tell.
Too bad we couldn't just deal Tochkin for Dalpe straight up, but whatever as I've said Dalpe seems to have some decent scoring upside and can play center / wing. :thumbs:

Seemed inevitable Horvat would be set down, as his skill set of being an all round super player, takes a lot more time to develop.

Shinkaruk stays while Kass is out, as he can produce scoring chances and plays better than Raymond already, as someone said here recently. :D
Plus Shinny :o has uber skating skills with shifty maneuvers that will break many defensemen's ankles in the foreseeable future.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

tantalum wrote:
Topper wrote:
Don't tell Tant.
?????

I'm not sure I've ever really commented on Richardson let alone got into a comparison of toughness etc. The only thing I really know is that LaPierre is a penalty taking machine along with others on the roster. But LaPierre was the easiest one to jettison. So he was.

If I had my druthers about Kings to sign or acquire for the bottom 6 it wouldn't have been Richardson.....
Scroll through our exchange

viewtopic.php?p=177362#p177362

tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

So i really didn't say anything then besides pointing out that LaPierre isn't particularly tough, though he does hit more but those hits tend to come at a cost and that Richardson is not the degree of smallness you said. Look the LaPierre of the cup run played tremendous hockey, but like the rest of the roster that same game hadn't been present for a long long while. In general I have a real tough time getting upset about what 4th liner is playing on the 4th line. The 4th liners are not what will determine the success of the team.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

hist wrote:Horvat's been sent back to Junior. I assume to make room for Dalpe?

https://twitter.com/SNETPacific/status/ ... 9127789568
Good on him. Let him learn and ferment in Jr. Doesn't seem like a headcase like CoHo.... :eh:

See you in a couple of years Bo! (although I may take in a Knights game before then).
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Guess we'll have to wait and see how the team will get to the 23 man roster by tomorrow.
As for the Canucks, this means that they'll probably switch the newly-acquired Zac Dalpe from winger back to centre, where he'd played at Ohio State but struggled in his first couple of seasons of pro hockey. There are probably still a couple of moves the team has to make before rosters are set Monday at 2 p.m. Eastern, as the Canucks currently stand at 25 players on the roster.

I also can't find a provision in the collective agreement that says Zack Kassian can't be sent down to Utica as a paper transaction to get the team below 23 players on the roster until the team can put Jordan Schroeder on the long-term injured reserve Tuesday. The American Hockey League would assuredly honour his NHL suspension, but I'd assume he'd be back up and in the press box for the season opener if the Canucks went that route.

Brad Ziemer suggests that Shinkaruk is going down too, but that Shinkaruk was, as of Sunday, still skating with the team on the last day of camp.

Still a bit mysterious and we don't want to say anything for certain until the roster is set tomorrow. I imagine Welsh starts the season in Utica, for sure, but cutting from 24 to 23 presents a bit of a challenge.

Per the CBA illustrations in Article 50, teams must set their rosters prior to opening day (ie: Monday) but cannot place players on long-term injured reserve until opening day (ie: Tuesday). This was mentioned on Hockey Night in Canada last night, but if the Canucks can indeed put Jordan Schroeder on the injured reserve prior to the start of the season, it saves the team from having to make a move in addition to sending down Welsh to get under 23 players.

Suspension rules are also incredible hazy.
http://canucksarmy.com/2013/9/29/bo-hor ... sits-at-25
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I like how Torts gives actual answers to the questions posed to him by the media in his press conferences. Really no comparison between Torts' answers, which actually have some substance behind them, and AV's which were too often stock answers. So far, I think Torts has presented himself quite well, and obviously is developing a good feel for his players.