Canucks Training Camp - News & Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

herb
CC Legend

Re: Canucks Training Camp - News & Notes

Post by herb »

Jovocop wrote:I have a feeling that Alberts will be placed on waivers today along with Sestito (hopefully) and Shinkaruk will be sent back to his junior team or Welsh might be able to sneak through the waivers due to his contract...
CanucksArmy ‏@CanucksArmy
Canucks with 26 on the roster, must get to 23 by 2PM. Kassian and Welsh waiver-ineligible. Shinkaruk eligible for juniors.
According to Lebrun, nobody was placed on waivers today.

Color me curious. Perhaps a trade is in the works?
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

herb wrote:
Jovocop wrote:I have a feeling that Alberts will be placed on waivers today along with Sestito (hopefully) and Shinkaruk will be sent back to his junior team or Welsh might be able to sneak through the waivers due to his contract...
CanucksArmy ‏@CanucksArmy
Canucks with 26 on the roster, must get to 23 by 2PM. Kassian and Welsh waiver-ineligible. Shinkaruk eligible for juniors.
According to Lebrun, nobody was placed on waivers today.

Color me curious. Perhaps a trade is in the works?
Can MG put players on waiver just right before 2 pm or does he have to submit the list early in the morning??
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Jovocop wrote:Can MG put players on waiver just right before 2 pm or does he have to submit the list early in the morning??
I don't think so. I could be wrong, but I think the deadline is noon eastern time.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

herb wrote:
Jovocop wrote:Can MG put players on waiver just right before 2 pm or does he have to submit the list early in the morning??
I don't think so. I could be wrong, but I think the deadline is noon eastern time.
Alberts for a pick or a minor leaguer? :?:
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Any player needing to clear waivers so a team can send them down to get to roster/cap limits had to be on waivers yesterday. Alberts may be on waivers sometime soon but it doesn't help the canucks get down to the proper number of bodies today (deadline for that is 5 pm ET).

Shinkaruk was sent down according to Bob. Not shocking but it is safe to say that both Shinkaruk and Horvat impressed at camp. I'd be somewhat shocked if Shinkaruk wasn't a canuck next season.

Not sure what that leave the canucks with right now:
Henrik
Daniel
Burrows
Kesler
Booth
Higgins
Hansen
Weise
Sestito
Dalpe
Welsh
Kassian
Schroeder
Richardson

the 8 D and 2 goaltenders. 24 guys. Given they aren't at the cap and don't need to play around with LTIR, I wonder if they simply put Schroeder on the IR to get to the roster number. Did I miss anyone?
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

tantalum wrote:Any player needing to clear waivers so a team can send them down to get to roster/cap limits had to be on waivers yesterday. Alberts may be on waivers sometime soon but it doesn't help the canucks get down to the proper number of bodies today (deadline for that is 5 pm ET).

Shinkaruk was sent down according to Bob. Not shocking but it is safe to say that both Shinkaruk and Horvat impressed at camp. I'd be somewhat shocked if Shinkaruk wasn't a canuck next season.

Not sure what that leave the canucks with right now:
Henrik
Daniel
Burrows
Kesler
Booth
Higgins
Hansen
Weise
Sestito
Dalpe
Welsh
Kassian
Schroeder
Richardson

the 8 D and 2 goaltenders. 24 guys. Given they aren't at the cap and don't need to play around with LTIR, I wonder if they simply put Schroeder on the IR to get to the roster number. Did I miss anyone?
Santorelli. Schroeder on the IR and Welsh to the AHL...
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Looking at young players on the current roster - there are eight players that are 25 years old or under:

Zac Dalpe 23 (drafted 45th overall in 2008 by Carolina)
Zack Kassian 22 (drafted 13th overall in 2009 by Buffalo)
Eddie Lack 25 (undrafted UFA signed by Vancouver)
Jordan Schroeder 23 (drafted 22nd overall in 2009 by Vancouver)
Ryan Stanton 24 (undrafted, acquired off waivers from Chicago)
Chris Tanev 23 (undrafted UFA signed by Vancouver)
Yannick Weber 25 (drafted 73rd in 2007 by Montreal)
Dale Weise 25 (drafted 111th overall in 2008 by NYR)

So - one draft choice 25 or under (Schroeder) by Vancouver... that is disappointing. And none expected tp play an impact role - other than maybe Kassian.. actually, one could argue that Vancouver 2008 draft Hodgson produced Kassian, making it two players "drafted" by Vancouver.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Southern_Canuck wrote:Looking at young players on the current roster - there are eight players that are 25 years old or under:

Zac Dalpe 23 (drafted 45th overall in 2008 by Carolina)
Zack Kassian 22 (drafted 13th overall in 2009 by Buffalo)
Eddie Lack 25 (undrafted UFA signed by Vancouver)
Jordan Schroeder 23 (drafted 22nd overall in 2009 by Vancouver)
Ryan Stanton 24 (undrafted, acquired off waivers from Chicago)
Chris Tanev 23 (undrafted UFA signed by Vancouver)
Yannick Weber 25 (drafted 73rd in 2007 by Montreal)
Dale Weise 25 (drafted 111th overall in 2008 by NYR)

So - one draft choice 25 or under (Schroeder) by Vancouver... that is disappointing. And none expected tp play an impact role - other than maybe Kassian.. actually, one could argue that Vancouver 2008 draft Hodgson produced Kassian, making it two players "drafted" by Vancouver.

S_C
It is a bit unfair. Tanev and Lack might not be drafted by MG but they were signed by him. Both will play significant roles this year.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Stanton seems like a decent pickup, bit of a project, but if we're lucky, hopefully he'll become an Aaron Rome type.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Jovocop wrote:
Santorelli. Schroeder on the IR and Welsh to the AHL...

"@JamiesonCanucks
Welsh to minors, Schroeder on injured reserve, Shinkaruk to junior to get to 23 man roster."

We'll have to wait till next year to see the magician Shinkaruk play on this team. :(
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
darren
CC Veteran

Post by darren »

RoyalDude wrote: 6th season, after 6 drafts, with none of his draft picks making the team, thats progress, thats a sign of a good GM.
Who gives a shit? The sign of a good GM is putting together a team that wins hockey games. Who cares how it happens?
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

darren wrote:Who gives a shit? The sign of a good GM is putting together a team that wins hockey games. Who cares how it happens?
Well, the last two playoffs where the Canucks were smoked largely due to the lack of an influx of difference-makers on affordable ELCs... as far as I can see, the good GM-ing didn't "happen".

Hey, but Gillis has added Richardson, Santorelli, Dalpe, Weber, and Stanton for this season - so who's to complain?

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Southern_Canuck wrote:
darren wrote:Who gives a shit? The sign of a good GM is putting together a team that wins hockey games. Who cares how it happens?
Well, the last two playoffs where the Canucks were smoked largely due to the lack of an influx of difference-makers on affordable ELCs... as far as I can see, the good GM-ing didn't "happen".

S_C

sssshhhh, just leave darren in that dumb place.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

So when Kassian's suspension is up that means we have to demote/ waive one player. The only two we can demote that are not waiver eligible are Tanev and Kassian. Tanev will stay. I think Kassian stays unless there is another lesson for him to learn.

So after 8 games someone will be waived me thinks.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I can't wait to see this team, so many new exciting talent to watch, yes, they are throwaways from other teams, but at least they will proved a newly breath of fresh air to this season.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau