Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:56 am Jake will come alive in the playoffs. You wait and see. With his size and speed.
Who are you saying this to?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Todd Bersnoozi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:44 am I don’t give up on Virtanen but he’s nothing like Neely or Bertuzzi whatsoever.
I like Jake as well. I'm thinking his potential is more like Adam Deadmarsh, kind of like Jannik Hansen, but a better sniper and a way better physical game.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:44 am I don’t give up on Virtanen but he’s nothing like Neely or Bertuzzi whatsoever.
Facts Neely was much better at a younger age, and Bertuzzi had a much more dominant junior career than Virtanen, yes I know junior stats don't mean much, but it gives you a bit of inclination of what their skill set is moving forward.

I want to believe in JV, but I'm seeing what Island Knucklehead said a long time ago, he'll probably top out as a Raffi Torres (which isn't bad), but you're not giving up a Cam Neely or Bertuzzi here lol.

Bertuzzi last two years of junior:
28 goals 54 assists - 82pts
54 goals 65 assists - 119pts

rookie NHL year 18 goals - 21 assists 39pts.

Virtanen last two years of junior:
45 goals 26 assists - 71pts
21 goals 31 assists - 52pts

rookie NHL year 7 goals 6 assists - 13pts.
2016/17 AHL 65gp 9 goals 10 assists - 19pts (The tear down year of JV's bad habits)
Then two more NHL years of 20pts and 25pts respectively.

Neely who just turned 17 with the Winter Hawks that year he scored 56 goals 64 assists - 120pts.

got drafted by the Canucks, where Neely played some games then sent back to Portland, but recalled on an emergency basis and never came back aha.
rookie NHL year 16 goals 15 assists 31pts.
21 goals 2nd year.
They traded him when he was only 21 years of age.
For some reason, Neely never got out of Watt's doghouse during the 1985-86 season. He finished seventh in team scoring with 14 goals and 34 points, while Tanti scored a team-high 39 goals and Petri Skriko another 38.

Despite his black-and-blue knuckles, size and aggressiveness along the boards and a willingness to venture into heavy traffic in front of the net, the 6-foot-1, 185-pound Neely was deemed expendable.

Boston general manager Harry Sinden dangled the bait and Canucks general manager Jackie Gordon fell for it -- hook, line and sinker.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/ ... cle736929/
You go through all those guys stats and Bertuzzi and Neely had way more skill/pts along with power/nastiness that JV hasn't quite shown.

Virtanen is 23 years of age now, just the age Raffi Torres finally scored 20 goals with Edmonton in 2004, 27 goals the career high in 2006, then became a perennial 15 goal scorer from there to go along with his powerball hits.

Virtanen probably scores 20 goals this season imo, a perfect time to sell high next offseason when he'll want a big payday, but I'll say this, if you can lock up Virtanen to a cheaper 5 year deal with a lower cap hit, then OK, I'm good with that, as a Torres type is great to have in the playoffs but not an overpaid price.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Virtanen is nothing like Neely or Bertuzzi
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

-Neely scored 50 goals in 50 games while securing his place in the HOF.

-Todd was one of the top 3 wingers in the NHL for at least 3 years probably more

-Jake is hoping to snag a 3rd line roster spot on the worst team in the league (over 4 years)

One of these things is not like the other
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:22 pm -Neely scored 50 goals in 50 games while securing his place in the HOF.

-Todd was one of the top 3 wingers in the NHL for at least 3 years probably more

-Jake is hoping to snag a 3rd line roster spot on the worst team in the league (over 4 years)

One of these things is not like the other
Neely was also one of the meanest and toughest guys in the league. He hit to hurt and he punched to put guys in the hospital. Bertuzzi was a freak of nature. 6 ft 4 and 250 could skate, handle the puck and make plays. He had way more skill than Virtanen or Neely but he also had the mean streak.

Jake isn’t mean at all. That’s not his game. Best we can hope for at this point is s hybrid of Dustin Brown/David Booth. A 20-20 guy who can hit and skate isn’t a bad guy to have around. As I said it’s asinine they haven’t given him a chance to pk yet and round out his game.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:15 am
RoyalDude wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:56 am Jake will come alive in the playoffs. You wait and see. With his size and speed.
Who are you saying this to?
To all
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:40 pm

Jake isn’t mean at all. That’s not his game. Best we can hope for at this point is s hybrid of Dustin Brown/David Booth
The comparison starts out really well, then crashes mightily.

One of my favourite Gillis moments, was how he scouted David Booth. He asked his ex Panther mate Higgins and his US hockey mate Kesler “hey Ryan, Chris what’s David Booth like!”
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Wheres that post of you fawning all over Boothy when we acquired him...its epic
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:33 am Wheres that post of you fawning all over Boothy when we acquired him...its epic
Leave that to Blob. He loves that one. You see I made my adjustments after seeing how much of a flake he was but ole Blobbee Booze just keeps making excuses for Gillis on that one, to this very day, yoodles.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:33 am Wheres that post of you fawning all over Boothy when we acquired him...its epic
Up and down like a whore’s pants
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:40 am
Leave that to Blob. He loves that one. You see I made my adjustments after seeing how much of a flake he was but ole Blobbee Booze just keeps making excuses for Gillis on that one, to this very day, yoodles.
I do? Proof?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:41 am
RoyalDude wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:40 am
I do? Proof?
I guess not
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Poor Mike nobody wants him 6 years and running

Holland to Edmonton
Francis to Seattle
Guerin to Minnesota
John Davidson to NYR
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Mike is a devoted canuck. Hes waiting by the phone near UVIC...patiently...waiting for aquas to fire up the throat goyter symbol spotlight into the sky.

He'll arrive well rested with a cup of coffee and some chin grease