Canucks News N Notes 23-24 Playoff Edition

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Lancer
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Canucks News N Notes 23-24 Playoff Edition

Post by Lancer »

Strangelove wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:15 pm .... also this:

https://twitter.com/PRiMETIMESNOOP_/sta ... 8733811198
BREAKING NEWS ALBERTA 🚨
@PRiMETIMESNOOP_

#BREAKING: Edmonton Oilers forward Evander Kane reportedly engaged in heated arguments with several fellow teammates in the locker room after the team choked and gave up a 4-1 lead, ultimately losing 5-4 in devastating fashion to the Vancouver Canucks in game 1.

Kane reportedly left the locker room early, visibly upset.
So yeah, it appears the Oil have some distractions going on. :drink:
Now that is juicy. We'll see if his stuff is thrown in the shower during the game day skate.

I can't imagine some of the fellas in there taking guff from Kane sitting down.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

They're imploding before our very eyes just like the start of the season with the pre-training camp captains skates and 'cup or bust' garbage they heaped on their own laps right before caving in and getting their player favorite coach woodcock fired.
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/va ... bbotsford/
Vancouver Canucks recall 13 players from AHL Abbotsford

Among those called up include Linus Karlsson, who led Abbotsford in scoring this season with 60 points in 60 games, and Arshdeep Bains, who finished second with 55 points in 59 games.

Danila Klimovich, Jonathan Lekkerimäki, Vasily Podkolzin, Aatu Raty and Max Sasson were the other forwards recalled alongside defencemen Nick Cicek, Matt Irwin, Cole McWard, Elias Pettersson and Christian Wolanin, plus goaltender Zach Sawchenko.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Strangelove wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:33 pm https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/va ... bbotsford/
Vancouver Canucks recall 13 players from AHL Abbotsford

Among those called up include Linus Karlsson, who led Abbotsford in scoring this season with 60 points in 60 games, and Arshdeep Bains, who finished second with 55 points in 59 games.

Danila Klimovich, Jonathan Lekkerimäki, Vasily Podkolzin, Aatu Raty and Max Sasson were the other forwards recalled alongside defencemen Nick Cicek, Matt Irwin, Cole McWard, Elias Pettersson and Christian Wolanin, plus goaltender Zach Sawchenko.
Geez they called up half the team. :)
el rey del mambo
Picker of Cherries
CC Veteran

Post by Picker of Cherries »

I heard one of the old Boston black aces talking about the sadistic training the black ace’s coach put them through to keep them ready…he never got in a game.
“Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the war room.”
- President Merkin Muffley
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:45 pm Geez they called up half the team. :)
Yup! :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
Lancer
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Looks like Soucy will have a hearing. We'll see if it ends up with a suspension. I wager likely a fine because of the extenuating circumstances (Zadorov's push from behind, the pushing and shoving already going on, etc.) but the league has to be seen to do something in front of the media already howling for Soucy's head for harming the league's darling.

Zadorov already got a $5000 fine.

Even if Soucy misses time, Juulsen can fill in as long as he's sheltered from the top line. That said a pairing of Juulsen and Cole does give me a bit of the heebie jeebies.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Cross check a dude in the face after the final whistle (outside the context of the game) is a suspension-worthy offense, even in the playoffs.

So there has to be reasons to mitigate.

Soucy's been suspended once (for a high hit on Garland, LOL) and fined another time (roughing up PLD). So he's neither a frequent flyer nor an angel.

McDavid appears to have taken quite the two-hander to Soucy; lumber for lumber -- but a slash < cross-check.

Soucy was probably going for the chest; big Z's cross check made it worse than intended, and a cross-check to the chest would likely not have even drawn a fine as a response to the two hander.

That's the fact everyone is hanging their hat on (that doesn't want a suspension). But no one is talking about the most obvious defense -- which is to confess. McDavid has a very, very punchable face. Couldn't resist. Could you?

I'm pretty sure that's why there was no supplemental discipline to Ryan for spearing Hogs in the 'nads. Play like a prick, the prick's fair game.
Hono_rary Canadian
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Two more general comments about this series.

1) McDavid and Draisaitl are very very good. But I think its a mistake to play them this much. Yeah, the rest of the team is underperforming, but you need a little ice to perform, no? And I think 20 minutes for a forward of all zones all out and intentional play is far more effective than 26 minutes (or last night 29 minutes) of reserved energy play. Remember, its not like they scored last night 5 on 5.

2) The Canucks are too often playing Travis Green hockey, not Tockey hockey. Soucy, Cole, and (to a lesser extent Zadarov) are the primary offenders. Passes are off the mark or no pass is made and the puck is a grenade (Gudbrandson, the bad Giraffe, Schenn). Part of this is on the forwards; as forwards collapse, they aren't available. But part of these extended d-zone shifts (or out to neutral zone, recover, repeat) are simply missed plays and not creating time. (Z and Soucy, like Schenn, can pass but they tend to need time to connect, and without time, there's a lot of neanderthal "passes" and barfing). Tockey wants the players to move when they get the puck, that creates a little time/space. But I don't think those players last night looked better than Game 2 on this point. To be sure, TG hockey can win when you get a lead, and it certainly made the shot total very misleading given the number of low quality shots Edmonton was taking. But if McDavid and Draisaitl are playing so many minutes, the ideal defense would be to cycle in the offensive zone and make their minutes hard.
Hono_rary Canadian
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

I don’t really have a problem with the Zadorov fine. It was a pretty good crosscheck. I do have a problem that McDavid wasn’t fined for his vicious slash to Soucy that started the whole thing. To me Soucy should at most be fined when you look at all the mitigating circumstances. If the NHL wants to crack down fine, but do it fairly and evenly. McDavid gets away with so much shit.
The only HW the Canucks need
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:59 pm I don’t really have a problem with the Zadorov fine. It was a pretty good crosscheck. I do have a problem that McDavid wasn’t fined for his vicious slash to Soucy that started the whole thing. To me Soucy should at most be fined when you look at all the mitigating circumstances. If the NHL wants to crack down fine, but do it fairly and evenly. McDavid gets away with so much shit.
This.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
theman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by theman »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:01 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:59 pm I don’t really have a problem with the Zadorov fine. It was a pretty good crosscheck. I do have a problem that McDavid wasn’t fined for his vicious slash to Soucy that started the whole thing. To me Soucy should at most be fined when you look at all the mitigating circumstances. If the NHL wants to crack down fine, but do it fairly and evenly. McDavid gets away with so much shit.
This.
What gets me is the media ganging up on Soucey, shite, they really want McJesus to move on to round 3.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

theman wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:03 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:01 pm
This.
What gets me is the media ganging up on Soucey, shite, they really want McJesus to move on to round 3.
Oh yeah. Soucy touched Jesus. He now must suffer.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
theman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by theman »

Soucey got 1 game, joke but not as bad as I feared.

https://x.com/nhlplayersafety/status/17 ... s1igZokqEQ
MJN
AHL Prospect

Post by MJN »

1 game suspension. We will see if it escalates from here on the ice.
I watched the raptors run but out side that I have stopped watching basketball, to me it’s a thinly veiled attempt at turning it all into something with the passion of an all star game.
As they try and ensure player safety it appears hockey is heading down the same road, shame.