2024 Playoffs Discussion / Predictions

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: 2024 Playoffs Discussion / Predictions

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Defence and goaltending is king in the playoffs these days and special teams. Kinda always has been but seems more noticeable in todays game. The shot clock has been low in mostly all the series.

Is Willander and D-Pete built for the new era? Seems so.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
theman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by theman »

Rangers in 7
Panthers in 5
Avs in 6
Canucks in 7

Any word on when Demko will be back?
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Canucks in 6
Avs in 5
Canes in 7
Florida in 5

As for our series, I don't mind the longish layoff. Give the team some time heal up, physically and mentally. I'm not worried about Silovs not being ready - he seems like he could be ready any time, any place. I like that the oilers have ALL the pressure now. While we're healing and getting ready, edmonton is adding pressure to themselves. Home ice is nice to have, too. :) I think a huge game one for us, would put a lot of doubt into McDuffus and the rest.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

You should hear all the Edmonton media out here. In all these idiots minds there is no way in hell Vancouver should even compete with them. I've heard coil in 5 all day
If you need air...call it in
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:22 am You should hear all the Edmonton media out here. In all these idiots minds there is no way in hell Vancouver should even compete with them. I've heard coil in 5 all day
Be nice to cram it back down their effing throats…
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:22 am You should hear all the Edmonton media out here. In all these idiots minds there is no way in hell Vancouver should even compete with them. I've heard coil in 5 all day
Good. :D Add to the pressure on them.

UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

BCExpat wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:59 am I think the Oilers are over rated. Sports net media types seem to be drooling over them, but Skinner is no Saros and the Oilers don't play D like the Preds. Also, I think the Canucks D and goaltending will be able to hold off the dynamic duo and their bum boys to win the series.
What I hear from the Canadian (and American, really) media is all Edmonton, but it seems the reasons they give are the same reasons that would have applied to the Oilers each of the past several seasons. So why haven't they won?

This isn't to say the Oilers aren't a bit better positioned than the past -- Ekholm is a solid player and Bouchard now has a long enough resume of providing offense to know he's an asset. But ultimately, that defense is still mediocre and strikes me as more error prone than maybe every other team's D left in the playoffs. Skinner's not terrible, but he's no better bet to steal a game as to blow one. McDavid remains McDavid, Draisaitl remains Draisaitl -- these guys are two of the best 5 players in the league -- as they've been for years. Outside of that, Hyman's had an amazing season and I respect the guy, but does he strike fear into opponents or is he just an excellent opportunist (not that there's anything wrong with that)? RNH is who he always was, Kane is much deteriorated and is a mess defensively. Its still a very top heavy group (though love the Henrique acquisition for them for the special teams help and solid overall game), not just because the top is so good but because the bottom isn't that great. This depth issue matters, because we've seen the Oilers give McDavid and Draisaitl (especially McDavid) huge amounts of ice time in the past, and the obvious result of this is that they play with a conserved energy in the defensive zone that doesn't (in my mind) translate into maximizing goals for vs. goals against.

On balance, I can't say the media's out to lunch in its love for the Oilers. It is a very good team, and I think this matchup is close to a toss up, and it would lean in Vancouver's favor if Demko were healthy. But raise your hand if you think the Stars or Avalanche would provide the Canucks with an easier matchup. The Oilers have more ways to be beat and are more apt to beat themselves, and I'll take that over the waves of talent and deliberate intention the Stars put over the boards with ever line or the seemingly inexhaustible determination and professionalism of the skilled Colorado players.
Hono_rary Canadian
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

So much of this series will depend upon special teams. If we can stay out of the box we can play with them 5v5. If we get into penalty trouble I dont like our chances.

Goaltending of course will be an issue for us without Demko. Maybe concern is a better word. Other than Demko we are pretty healthy. Should be a good series but it wont be a cake walk. Edmonton has a chance to redeem their season series with us and they will come out motivated. The only slight advantage we may have is Silovs. He hasn't played much int he NHL and team wont have a book on him yet. But that will change quickly in a 7 game series.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

How huge is us drafting Silovs in 2019?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Panthers in 6
Rangers in 5
(kind of cheating, because there's already one game in the books, but it can't be helped

Avalanche in 6
Oilers in 7

Yeah, I know that last one isn't going to be popular here, but I think other predictors are reckoning without the third team on the ice. I think the NHL would prefer for the Oilers to win. They don't even have to be lopsided with the calls to put their thumbs on the scales. A tightly called series with more power plays, even if both teams get the same number, will favour the Oilers. That's what I'm predicting.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:03 pm Yeah, I know that last one isn't going to be popular here, but I think other predictors are reckoning without the third team on the ice. I think the NHL would prefer for the Oilers to win. They don't even have to be lopsided with the calls to put their thumbs on the scales. A tightly called series with more power plays, even if both teams get the same number, will favour the Oilers. That's what I'm predicting.
I can't argue with your logic, but I hope you're wrong.
Raile
MVP
MVP

Post by Raile »

For me it's really going to come down to if some of our passengers from the previous series can find their game. Obviously Petey but we had a few others too who were good in the regular season and then disappeared. If we don't have our regular season depth in this series, I don't think we win.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I am feeling oddly confident in this series… not because of the regular season… but because our defence is far superior as is our goaltending right down the line.

We have no McDavids but have deadly shooters of our own, I just think the funk will be over and we will fire on all cylinders… that is my gut feeling..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

I'm just going to say this... if the refs aren't in the pocketsss, our 5v5 is going to grind them down in a war of attrition.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 19 People!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Canucks in 7
Canes in 7
Panthers in 6
Avs in 5
____
Try to focus on someday.