2024 Playoffs Discussion / Predictions

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Picker of Cherries
CC Veteran

Re: 2024 Playoffs Discussion / Predictions

Post by Picker of Cherries »

Regular Season PDO
1. Canucks 1.028
15. Oilers 1.002

1st round of Playoffs
1. Rangers 1.033
2. Panthers 1.024
3. Canucks 1.020
4. Oilers 1.015

I don’t know why PDO is the Canucks most important stat, but I know it is, right?
“Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the war room.”
- President Merkin Muffley
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

If you read hfboards oilers the Canucks shouldn’t even bother showing up for this series.

So will Chris Cuthbert switch his leaves jersey for a Coilers one. We know who Similar son will cheer for. I’m just glad we aren’t stuck with Singh or Jack Michaels.

Powerplays were 22 - 13 for Nashville. Expect more of the same. Those four big redwoods were absolute warriors in that series. Nashville couldn’t get to the net. Tocchet has already appealed to let the teams play at even strength.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
dbr
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by dbr »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:11 pmYa my bad. I thought it was 0 points the series then saw later it was a stat for tonight. Still, pretty bad. Seems they may try to talk him into waiving and then they may try to trade him by retaining 50%. Seems the hammer is out for Mariner too. I mean who else can they realistically trade. I like how their defence is starting to round out and Wahl may be the real deal. A couple of good trades to clear cap and add a couple of smart pieces and they may have a team.
I guess that's their best case scenario, try to retain a ton on Tavares and Marner for a year - IF they can get them to waive at all - and retool around Matthews and Nylander.

Otherwise, I don't know how you sell hope to that market.. although they've proven time and again that delusion will substitute well enough.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

dbr wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:19 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:11 pmYa my bad. I thought it was 0 points the series then saw later it was a stat for tonight. Still, pretty bad. Seems they may try to talk him into waiving and then they may try to trade him by retaining 50%. Seems the hammer is out for Mariner too. I mean who else can they realistically trade. I like how their defence is starting to round out and Wahl may be the real deal. A couple of good trades to clear cap and add a couple of smart pieces and they may have a team.
I guess that's their best case scenario, try to retain a ton on Tavares and Marner for a year - IF they can get them to waive at all - and retool around Matthews and Nylander.

Otherwise, I don't know how you sell hope to that market.. although they've proven time and again that delusion will substitute well enough.
They are in a tough spot, obviously it’s not working with that core, what is it? 7 first round exits in the last 8 years? Can’t remember. No offence to Tavares but I’ve always felt that signing him was a mistake. His signing put an end to the “rebuild” when it still needed time. It’s gonna take brass balls to move on from Marner or Tavares, not sure it’s possible, but if I had my choice I’m keeping Nylander and Mathews over the other two. Marner simply isn’t playoff built, he’s not on the Team Canada team I’d put together, he’s just not a big game player and it’s not about size, Patrick Kane and Brayden Point are small players. Anyhow, start the re-tool by shedding Tavares if possible and go from there.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
dbr
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by dbr »

Yep. They've got some good depth players, anyone would be happy with their top two forwards, but the next two aren't producing and they don't have a gamebreaker on the blueline or in goal.

Agreed on the Tavares signing, I guess they got some assets for Kadri but in hindsight they were probably better off keeping him instead.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Well, it looks like I'm a Canucks fan for the next couple of weeks or less. :look:

I think the Oilers are over rated. Sports net media types seem to be drooling over them, but Skinner is no Saros and the Oilers don't play D like the Preds. Also, I think the Canucks D and goaltending will be able to hold off the dynamic duo and their bum boys to win the series.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Nice to have you and all of southern Alberta on board….
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:11 pm
Mëds wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:57 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:44 pm Wow Tavares 0 points
If you mean tonight. Yes.

But he got 2 in the series.
Ya my bad. I thought it was 0 points the series then saw later it was a stat for tonight. Still, pretty bad. Seems they may try to talk him into waiving and then they may try to trade him by retaining 50%. Seems the hammer is out for Mariner too. I mean who else can they realistically trade. I like how their defence is starting to round out and Wahl may be the real deal. A couple of good trades to clear cap and add a couple of smart pieces and they may have a team.
The better stat is that in their 3 elimination games the only one of their big 4 forwards to pot a goal was Nylander.….granted Matthews didn’t play in 5 and 6, but still.
dbr
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by dbr »

BCExpat wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:59 am Well, it looks like I'm a Canucks fan for the next couple of weeks or less. :look:

I think the Oilers are over rated. Sports net media types seem to be drooling over them, but Skinner is no Saros and the Oilers don't play D like the Preds. Also, I think the Canucks D and goaltending will be able to hold off the dynamic duo and their bum boys to win the series.
Agreed, I don't know if we can hold off the big two and if we get in penalty trouble that's probably it for that game - but if we can prevent any five point nights and get closer to an NHL average number of chances I think we can win any given night even when they are rolling.

With Demko I'd be confident (frees up the team in front of him IMO), with Šilovs I still think we can hang with them.

Need Petterson to find the space to get his rhythm back though, I don't know if he's hurt or just in his head.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

dbr wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 12:28 pm
BCExpat wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:59 am Well, it looks like I'm a Canucks fan for the next couple of weeks or less. :look:

Agreed, I don't know if we can hold off the big two and if we get in penalty trouble that's probably it for that game - but if we can prevent any five point nights and get closer to an NHL average number of chances I think we can win any given night even when they are rolling.

With Demko I'd be confident (frees up the team in front of him IMO), with Šilovs I still think we can hang with them.

Need Petterson to find the space to get his rhythm back though, I don't know if he's hurt or just in his head.
If we get in penalty trouble early in any (non elimination) game if this series, and if the calls are bullshit, the I say throw the game and just run amok. Don’t care if it ends up being a final score of 12-1, just hammer them with cheap-shots and rough McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Hyman, and, and Kane, hard every time they at the hash marks or below. Pummel Nurse and Ekholm on the forecheck, even if they are questionable hits, as they retrieve pucks.

I’d prefer no penalty trouble and do the same just without the questionable part. Lol.

The key to defending McDavid is to give him the perimeter and eliminate passing lanes. He’s a pass first guy, and while he can score, you will frustrate him and any time he puts a puck to the net you are positioned to box out and keep Hyman, Kane, and the Kraut, from getting that second shot opportunity. If you chase McDavid he will burn you easily with a dish to whoever you left open.
Lancer
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Mëds wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:33 pm If we get in penalty trouble early in any (non elimination) game if this series, and if the calls are bullshit, the I say throw the game and just run amok. Don’t care if it ends up being a final score of 12-1, just hammer them with cheap-shots and rough McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Hyman, and, and Kane, hard every time they at the hash marks or below. Pummel Nurse and Ekholm on the forecheck, even if they are questionable hits, as they retrieve pucks.
Yup. I would say games one and two should feature the likes of Joshua, Miller and Lafferty running the likes of Eckholm and Bouchard while leaving McWhiner and the Nazi to the tender mercies of Zadorov and Myers. A couple of sticks broken over the bottom of their backs and necks should do the trick. Throw in a couple of Dustin Brown-esque accidentally-on-purpose runs on Skinner and Pickard and I don't mind being down 2 games if it means at least two key Coilers in the infirmary. It's not about beating them in the series so much as ruining that core's chances of ever competing for the Cup before they retire.

... if only to make the Sportsnet people cry.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:11 pm Seems they may try to talk (Tavares) into waiving and then they may try to trade him by retaining 50%.
Pretty much every Leaves fan out there agrees that Tavares will never agree to waive his NMC.

They are pretty much all resigned to riding out the last year of his contract.

Hockey Widow wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:11 pm Seems the hammer is out for Mariner too. I mean who else can they realistically trade.
Pretty much every Leaves fan out there agrees that Marner will never agree to waive his NMC.

Plus he's Piggy Wiggy's "lil buddy", and they've gotta keep their primadonna happy in the centre of the universe.

Hockey Widow wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:11 pm I like how their defence is starting to round out and Wahl may be the real deal.
Well their defence is horrible and Woll is inexperienced, inconsistent, and injury prone.

Woll will be a decent cheap backup for them next season but they MUST bring in a proven #1 (Markstrombone?).

These dmen will walk in July: Brodie, Giordano, Edmundson, and Lyubushkin.

Remaining: Rielly (top-pairing), McCabe (2nd/3rd pairing), Benoit (3rd), Liljegren (sucks), Timmins (sucks).

In the system: Nothing.

They desperately need 2 top-4 RSD (target UFAs Tanev/Myers/Dumba?)

To bring in a #1 goalie and 2 top-4 RSD will require capspace + assets, both of which will be lacking.

Although, they will clear some by letting Bertuzzi, Brodie, and Samsonov walk.

(they'll re-sign Domi with a slight salary increase in my opinion)

Please inform your family members back east that their Leaves are thoroughly fucked next season. :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Lancer wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:29 pm
Mëds wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:33 pm If we get in penalty trouble early in any (non elimination) game if this series, and if the calls are bullshit, the I say throw the game and just run amok. Don’t care if it ends up being a final score of 12-1, just hammer them with cheap-shots and rough McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Hyman, and, and Kane, hard every time they at the hash marks or below. Pummel Nurse and Ekholm on the forecheck, even if they are questionable hits, as they retrieve pucks.
Yup. I would say games one and two should feature the likes of Joshua, Miller and Lafferty running the likes of Eckholm and Bouchard while leaving McWhiner and the Nazi to the tender mercies of Zadorov and Myers. A couple of sticks broken over the bottom of their backs and necks should do the trick. Throw in a couple of Dustin Brown-esque accidentally-on-purpose runs on Skinner and Pickard and I don't mind being down 2 games if it means at least two key Coilers in the infirmary. It's not about beating them in the series so much as ruining that core's chances of ever competing for the Cup before they retire.

... if only to make the Sportsnet people cry.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

The easy answer in torontoilet is trade AM then let Marner and Pajamas walk after one tank year. Good thing they will never see this
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Is it me or has the booming slap shot from the point been replaced by the wrister? Hardly see the big boom stick anymore.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau