Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by ESQ »

Holtby can't have an NMC, that was the stumbling block with Marky.

Increased the total cap space on goalies by $534k, that's pretty solid when you're adding a Vezina/Cup winner to be a backup.
Raging Fury
MVP
MVP

Post by Raging Fury »

theman wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:13 am
Cherry Picker wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:12 am Holtby 2 x 4.3m as per imac
With no expansion draft protection
Good good. The era of Demigod Demko is upon us.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

theman wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:06 am ummmmmmmmm..............
Rick Dhaliwal
@DhaliwalSports
·
15s
Holtby to Vancouver
Not sure how I feel about this.
David Pagnotta
@TheFourthPeriod
·
40s
The Vancouver Canucks have signed UFA goalie Braden Holtby to a 2-year, $8.6M contract ($4.3M AAV).
Edit: better not have a NMC.
Right, better eligible for the expansion draft. And I am 99% sure he will be, though who knows if he'll be selected.

Holtby was an elite goalie for 4-5 years, winning the Vezina and the Jennings. In his first "average" season he won the Stanley Cup. In his second average season, well, he was as good as Markstrom.

Last year was his one and only poor season. Goalies don't typically fall off a cliff at Age 30, but they can sometimes. That's Markstrom's age this season -- Holtby is a whole 4-5 months older. So the downside Demko is the starter and you've got a overpaid backup, but one who is far likely to be better than asking DiPietro to try his hand. (Talbot -- older than both by a couple years -- is a backup of less caliber than Holtby getting paid 3.3 on a three years deal as of today). The upside is a better goalie than Markstrom for a salary sure to be less than Markstrom on a term that's sure to be less than Markstrom's.

This is a great signing if reports are true (and there's exposure at expansion and Canucks can evaluate in a year whether Demko is the GOTF).
Hono_rary Canadian
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

ESQ wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:14 am Holtby can't have an NMC, that was the stumbling block with Marky.

Increased the total cap space on goalies by $534k, that's pretty solid when you're adding a Vezina/Cup winner to be a backup.
This sounds great. If those last three playoff games are an indication for Demko's future, great. Holtby is a fine addition. They're saying
Ian Clark was very much consulted with and was thumbs up on it.
"evolution"
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

ESQ wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:14 am Holtby can't have an NMC, that was the stumbling block with Marky.

But increased total cap space by less than what it would have cost to resign Markstrom.
Hono_rary Canadian
theman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by theman »

UWSaint wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:19 am
theman wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:06 am ummmmmmmmm..............
Rick Dhaliwal
@DhaliwalSports
·
15s
Holtby to Vancouver
Not sure how I feel about this.
David Pagnotta
@TheFourthPeriod
·
40s
The Vancouver Canucks have signed UFA goalie Braden Holtby to a 2-year, $8.6M contract ($4.3M AAV).
Edit: better not have a NMC.
Right, better eligible for the expansion draft. And I am 99% sure he will be, though who knows if he'll be selected.

Holtby was an elite goalie for 4-5 years, winning the Vezina and the Jennings. In his first "average" season he won the Stanley Cup. In his second average season, well, he was as good as Markstrom.

Last year was his one and only poor season. Goalies don't typically fall off a cliff at Age 30, but they can sometimes. That's Markstrom's age this season -- Holtby is a whole 4-5 months older. So the downside Demko is the starter and you've got a overpaid backup, but one who is far likely to be better than asking DiPietro to try his hand. (Talbot -- older than both by a couple years -- is a backup of less caliber than Holtby getting paid 3.3 on a three years deal as of today). The upside is a better goalie than Markstrom for a salary sure to be less than Markstrom on a term that's sure to be less than Markstrom's.

This is a great signing if reports are true (and there's exposure at expansion and Canucks can evaluate in a year whether Demko is the GOTF).
He will be exposed in the expansion draft. I think this is a smart - short term - signing. Gives Demko more time to prove himself and Gives the Canucks an option next year. If Demko wets the bed next season, we expose him. If he doesn't, we expose Holtby.

Finally some good asset management by Benning. I just hope Markstrom doesn't land in Calgary and goes EC instead.
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Topper wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:50 am
theman wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:36 am
Raging Fury wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:30 am
nuckster wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:27 am What a waste of fuckin time that was! Gawd (re:OEL).
It may have indirectly hurt us because it backed up the talks with our pending UFAs.

Oh well what's done is done, no use whining about it. Lots of work to be done going forward.
Agree, very curious to see how Vancouver does over the next few days.
from the folks who can't chew gum and walk at the same time
Really Topper!? Thats your contribution to the hockey world today? Was there anything that was said here that lent itself to warrant your incredibly gifted one-liner?

Yeah, my tolerance level is basically shot for the week. Can feel a cab-sav hang-over coming on for tomorrow... combined with a puff or two ofcourse.
cc oldtimer
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

UWSaint wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:20 am

But increased total cap space by less than what it would have cost to resign Markstrom.
Yes, very true, maybe by $1-1.5 million. I think the expansion draft exposure is more important than the cap space though - and Marky will likely get the NMC he's looking for.

Putting Ferland on LTIR gives $11.5 million in cap space - enough to sign Virtanen, Gaudette, and Tanev or Toffoli. Demoting Loui and Sven gives another $2.4 mil in cap space.
Zedlee
CC Veteran

Post by Zedlee »

First impression....Great signing!
Demko is the future and Holtby here to help with the transition.
Good god what a relief...a smart contract.
Curmudgeon
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Curmudgeon »

Hate seeing a guy like Markstrom leave, he really turned into a quality goalie, but I'd think Holtby will be less term and average salary than Markstrom will get and has had a better career, won a Stanley Cup, and is a good Saskatchewan kid who's only a year older so it's a great replacement in my opinion. Clark will work well with him.

edit: actually only a few months older and from the same draft too

Kind of reminds me of when Ryan Miller came in while Markstrom was earning his stripes except Holtby is younger than Miller was and has actually won something. Plus I have a soft spot for Saskatchewan. Kudos to Benning on this one, very solid move.
Last edited by Curmudgeon on Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
Raging Fury
MVP
MVP

Post by Raging Fury »

Next, hole on defense. However I think it's better if we wait for this need. Bargains can be had for those who wait during UFA signing frenzy. We need cap efficiency more than anything else long term.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

nuckster wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:27 am
Topper wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:50 am
theman wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:36 am
Raging Fury wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:30 am
nuckster wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:27 am What a waste of fuckin time that was! Gawd (re:OEL).
It may have indirectly hurt us because it backed up the talks with our pending UFAs.

Oh well what's done is done, no use whining about it. Lots of work to be done going forward.
Agree, very curious to see how Vancouver does over the next few days.
from the folks who can't chew gum and walk at the same time
Really Topper!? Thats your contribution to the hockey world today? Was there anything that was said here that lent itself to warrant your incredibly gifted one-liner?

Yeah, my tolerance level is basically shot for the week. Can feel a cab-sav hang-over coming on for tomorrow... combined with a puff or two ofcourse.
I get a kick out of you broom pushers who think managers are unable to weigh multiple scenarios and outcomes at one time.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Cherry Picker »

Raging Fury wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:37 am Next, hole on defense. However I think it's better if we wait for this need. Bargains can be had for those who wait during UFA signing frenzy. We need cap efficiency more than anything else long term.
Not a lot of money left. Maybe Benning really wants to give his prospects, Chatfield and Rafferty, time on the right side.
Right now the depth there is:

Myers
Rafferty
Chatfield
Benn

I would think that adding a right side D, if not Tanev, would be their priority, but maybe Benning sees this as the year the rookie D that have been cooking in Utica get their shot. Another option if the left side D does well, Rathbone and Juolevi, is to try Hughes on the right side? There are not many right side D on the market, so maybe that’s how they’ll go?

Hughes Edler
Myers Rathbone
Rafferty Juolevi
Chatfield Benn
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Wow amazing Holtby took less term to play here! I'm sure he had longer term offers elsewhere, Holtby and Marky were the top netminders available today.

2 years is perfect for the both parties, as the cap escrow will/should go up by then, and Holtby is still young enough and probably have superb #'s on this rising team as Petey/Hughes develop further & he can sign a mega UFA deal after that while Demko starts to take over. Or Holts goes to Seattle for a year.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Pierre LeBrun@PierreVLeBrun
Let me clear on Holtby: it's a 4-team NO list. So four teams he won't go to without waiving. So pretty flexible list for Van
His real money is split. Big in year two.. https://www.capfriendly.com/players/braden-holtby
"evolution"