Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Chef Boi RD »

theman wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:20 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:17 pm
theman wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:11 pm Latest, Taj reported this:

Irf: It's clear Coyotes want one of Demko, Hoglander or Podkolzin.
What’s with all these Shit-talkers. Must be a ratings race. One up the next shit talker with even worse shit talking

But I tell you what. Sign Marky and I’m OK with letting ole Thatcher go!
Me too but then AZ is either retaining a decent amount of salary or taking a few bad contracts from the Canucks
We will lose him or Marky to Seattle anyways.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Curmudgeon
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Curmudgeon »

Mëds wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:36 pm
Curmudgeon wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:20 pm
Cherry Picker wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:13 pm Not qualified
Not a surprise and just another self inflicted wound like the upcoming Boeser qualifying offer, Eriksson's contract, the Toffoli uncertainty and potential loss after dealing some decent assets to acquire him, and Sutter's extension. There was no need to extend Stecher at $2.325 million after his $925k entry level deal and now this is what they get.

Benning should be thanking Pettersson and Hughes every single day because without them falling into his lap he'd be unemployed. Can hardly wait to see the ending to the OEL saga and not in a good way. Would be hilarious to see the market's reaction if they lose all of Markstrom, Toffoli, and Tanev, and the OEL deal falls apart.

Do you post regularly over at HF?
No, of course not. lol. Hughes and Pettersson have changed everything for the franchise, if it was Zadina and Glass here instead and all other moves remained the same do you think Benning would still be GM? I'm not so sure and that's a reflection on some of the regrettable moves he's made and just how important those two players, and only those two, have been to the team and in JB retaining his job. His UFA deals have been a real problem, it may cost them a couple quality players as a result, and it was all avoidable.

And the OEL interest makes sense based on the fact he's a very good player but if they pull the trigger $12-14 million in dumps needs to go the other way and that only answers the short term and doesn't even take into consideration the longer term total dollar commitment and risk. Do you really trust JB to pull this off? I'm nervous and not entirely comfortable he can.

I'm excited seeing things progress, a lot of that revolves around the two guys, but I think I'm also being realistic and objective.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

To Vancouver: OEL @ 1.35 retained, bringing his cap hit to 6.9 million.
Lawson Crouse @ 1.55 million
4th round pick in 2021

To Arizona:
1st round pick in either 2021/22
Thatcher Demko
Jake Virtanen
Olli Juolevi
Lois Eriksson

Long term it will save the Yotes a shitload of cash. They get some good young guys and a 1st round pick. I’d be willing to throw in another guy like Lind or Gadjovich or MacEwan if it tipped the deal. They need cheap labour.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
theman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by theman »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:44 pm To Vancouver: OEL @ 1.35 retained, bringing his cap hit to 6.9 million.
4th round pick in 2021

To Arizona:
Thatcher Demko
Jake Virtanen
Olli Juolevi
Lois Eriksson

Long term it will save the Yotes a shitload of cash. They get some good young guys and a 1st round pick. I’d be willing to throw in another guy like Lind or Gadjovich or MacEwan if it tipped the deal. They need cheap labour.
This is your dream trade for OEL?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

theman wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:47 pm This is your dream trade for OEL?
Not a dream trade but acceptable I think. They aren’t going to want a pile of trash for their top pairing captain who’s probably a top 20 or top 30 d man in the league. Some of the proposals here are hilarious. You have to give to get, but some fans think Vancouver needs to absolutely rape the Coyotes.
theman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by theman »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:00 pm
theman wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:47 pm
This is your dream trade for OEL?
Not a dream trade but acceptable I think. They aren’t going to want a pile of trash for their top pairing captain who’s probably a top 20 or top 30 d man in the league. Some of the proposals here are hilarious. You have to give to get, but some fans think Vancouver needs to absolutely rape the Coyotes.
For what it is worth, I have no real issue with your proposal. If we know Markstrom will re-sign here, I would throw Demko into the trade too. Only thing I would add would be 1 more cap dump.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

theman wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:05 pm For what it is worth, I have no real issue with your proposal. If we know Markstrom will re-sign here, I would throw Demko into the trade too. Only thing I would add would be 1 more cap dump.
Absolutely that’s contingent on Marky signing. Maybe we toss in Sven and then throw in one of Gadjovich , Lind or MacEwen and get a warm body from the Yotes to help them clear a body/salary.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Curmudgeon wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:41 pm
No, of course not. lol. Hughes and Pettersson have changed everything for the franchise, if it was Zadina and Glass here instead and all other moves remained the same do you think Benning would still be GM? I'm not so sure and that's a reflection on some of the regrettable moves he's made and just how important those two players, and only those two, have been to the team and in JB retaining his job. His UFA deals have been a real problem, it may cost them a couple quality players as a result, and it was all avoidable.
A little tough to accept that when guys like Beagle, Roussel and Motte showed up to get the Canucks into the 2nd round, along with great playoffs from Marky, Bo and Miller.

Its almost as though hockey is a team sport, and 2 great players can't win on their own. If there's any doubt about that, see: Edmonton.

No, I'm afraid after a playoffs we just had where all team members (except Loui, of course) were contributing, you have to acknowledge all of the pieces Benning has assembled were necessary pieces to the puzzle.

Again, except Loui, who is a total disaster.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Meh.... Beagle and Roussel’s contributions in the playoffs were pretty minimal. You can replace guys like them and Sutter for a fraction of the cost. Ditto for Jordie Benn. Myers is overpaid but he is a decent second pairing guy that can play 20 minutes.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:44 pm To Vancouver: OEL @ 1.35 retained, bringing his cap hit to 6.9 million.
4th round pick in 2021

To Arizona:
Thatcher Demko
Jake Virtanen
Olli Juolevi
Lois Eriksson

Yeah Blobbee I’d throw in Lind as you said, on top of your proposal plus I’d toss in Hoglander and the rights to Tryamkin. That should getterdun. You’re right though, Virtanen, Juolevi, Demko and the 21/22 first is nowhere near enough
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

4th round pick in 2021

To Arizona:
Thatcher Demko
Jake Virtanen
Olli Juolevi
Lois Eriksson

I read on farcebook that Benning already made his take it or leave it offer OEL. I wonder if we will ever get to know what it was?

Your offer involves Demko but I’m not giving him up now because I think We have seen the Apex of markstroms skill set and
I think he will deteriorate from here.

He was hurt twice this year at crucial points this past season and the amount of rubber our goalies see I think 30+ YO goalies are going to break down.

I understand we got to give to get but AZ needs to take more than just the Erixxon contract back for me to give all that up they need to take back 8 million in bad contracts before I start the yard sale
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:38 pm
4th round pick in 2021

To Arizona:
Thatcher Demko
Jake Virtanen
Olli Juolevi
Lois Eriksson

Yeah Blobbee I’d throw in Lind as you said, on top of your proposal plus I’d toss in Hoglander and the rights to Tryamkin. That should getterdun. You’re right though, Virtanen, Juolevi, Demko and the 21/22 first is nowhere near enough
You probably think OEL at 6 million

For

Virtanen
Uselesslevi
Lois Eriksson
3rd rounder

is a fair deal. You have been telling me how awesome OEL is for days and how we are an instant contender with him. I also included Crouse coming to Vancouver who would solidify the third line and could eventually take Pearson’s job.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Iain McIntyre just filed his Sportsnet article a few minutes ago and he seems to think the Canucks offered Markstrom more than Lehner signed for. I wonder what Marky is looking for dollar wise? I've been in the let him walk camp all along, even more so now I think.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/ca ... ying-week/
Last edited by Megaterio Llamas on Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
el rey del mambo
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

I’m not even sure I’d want OEL anyway? He will be what 37 when his contract expires?

No more massive long contracts until Pettersson and Hughes are inked

And no 7-8 year long contracts for a guy older than 22/23 that we didn’t draft
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Benning got crucified last year for not sticking it to Tampa in their cap dump of Miller. So we know he is fair but this is a time to do a reverse Kesler.
The only HW the Canucks need