2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by Topper »

Had a good a laugh at Dallas trolling the Aqualungs by getting, Bob Gaglardi, Tom's dad, to announce their pick........then he fucks up the name and I laughed even harder.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Benning on his pick:

Big, strong on the puck, takes puck battles personally
Compares him to Timo Meier.

Said he was the last remaining player on their top five who they felt would be available at 10. If he had been taken they had a trade lined up to trade down for an extra pick. Are thrilled to get him. He will complement the core.

Has no out. Won’t be available until his two years is up in the KHL. felt any player they got at 10 would need 1-3 years development so him playing in the KHL is fine. Spoke to his agent before the draft and the kid definitely is coming to the NHL in 2 years. Benning expects he will be able to step right into the NHL at that point.
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Topper wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:42 pm Had a good a laugh at Dallas trolling the Aqualungs by getting, Bob Gaglardi, Tom's dad, to announce their pick........then he fucks up the name and I laughed even harder.
We wont all go like that one day, will we?
Wow; that'll be fun reading in the morning, just before rush hour.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Vasili Podkolzin Scouting Report

Right Wing — shoots Left
Born June 24th, 2001 — Moskva, Russia
Height 6’1″ — Weight 190 lbs [185 cm/86 kg]

Skating
Podkolzin is a good skater,

Offensive Game
Podkolzin has good stickhandling skills which make him tough to defend in one-on-one situation.

Defensive Game
Podkolzin brings high-compete level and an effective defensive game.

Projection;
Podkolzin is close to being NHL ready.

Biggest attribute;
Not Whipped.

Many thanks to UDL for without his diligence, this post would not be possible! :cheers:
Last edited by Mickey107 on Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"evolution"
Nuckertuzzi
CC Veteran

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Hockey Widow wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:43 pm ....felt any player they got at 10 would need 1-3 years development so him playing in the KHL is fine.
Exactly how I felt..any player at 10 was realistically going to be a 2-3 year project anyway. We never get a draft step right in (since when, Linden??), best one year wait so what's an extra year if what everybody says is correct that he'll be instantly ready. At least no danger in rushing him here like Jake.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I'm not thrilled about drafting a Russian, given our luck with them (maybe it's the Larionov curse?), but I love the fact that Jim got another top-5 player without winning the draft lottery.

The two year wait doesn't really concern me either, the thought of a 20 year old stepping right in with 3 years of an ELC to go is mighty appealing, and shows that we now have a deeper pipeline of prospects .. Even if they don't put up big offensive numbers in the AHL :D :lol:
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Translation on being drafted, it's not great but something;
https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/the-progra ... d-canucks/
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Sportsnet 650
Verified account
@Sportsnet650

Benning if the #Canucks had a trade in the works: "Not really, no. I read some of the stuff that was cooked up, it was good... Wasn't real but it was good."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Elliott Teaford
@ElliottTeaford
GMBM said there was zero trade talk tonight because of concerns about the salary cap. It hasn't been set yet and it might (probably will) go down to about $80 million for next season. Weird that there were no trades tonight.
9:23 PM - 21 Jun 2019
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@harman1569

Talked to @FriedgeHNIC at draft, said some cap issues preventing the Barrie trade at the moment #Canucks #nhldraft
7:41 PM - 21 Jun 2019
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@EricEngels
Follow Follow @EricEngels

I mean, the GMs not having the final cap number prior to the first round of the draft is one of the most NHL things ever. Perhaps something to get fixed by next year? Geez.
9:25 PM - 21 Jun 2019
Last edited by Mickey107 on Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

..Hope he paid them.
"evolution"
Lancer
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Lancer »

I generally have a dim view of Russians because if they get their nose out of joint in the slightest, they tend to bolt or want out of Vancouver. Just as the club seems to have a good history with Swedes, it seems the inverse with Russians. I loved Bure to death as a Canuck, and Almo put up numbers while drawing a paycheck in Vancouver, but how did either story end?

THAT SAID, I’ll give Benning and Co. the benefit of the doubt with picking Podkolzin. Kid seems to have some good tools and his on-ice attitude seems to be what the team needs. His lack of production outside of international competition is concerning, but maybe he was just snake-bit. One assessment of him questions whether he is actually defensively aware, or just looks that way.

We’ll see in two years what they have in this kid. At least they didn’t go with a safe pick like Soderstrom. Looking forward to the following rounds with some intriguing prospects still available.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

He is clearly the third best talent in this draft but those concerns could cause a draft day fall.
THIS is huge. Of course, there is the Russian factor, but if he has that much talent he should want to play in the NHL, even if the first year or two will be a pay cut compared to the KHL.

And let's hope this helps bring back Tryamkin! 8-)

Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, Hughes, Tryamkin, Podkolzin.... more and more puzzle pieces fall into place!
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

A nice list of the projected first-rounders who are remaining for the 2nd round.

Skyo's boy Lavoie is still there, he'd be a nice pick up at 40 if he's still standing.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

If Vasiline was a north american prospect he wouldve gone 3rd for sure. Its up to Benning and Co. to figure out the how part of appeasing the russian art of selfishness in a team sport environment
If you need air...call it in
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:40 am If Vasiline was a north american prospect he wouldve gone 3rd for sure. Its up to Benning and Co. to figure out the how part of appeasing the russian art of selfishness in a team sport environment
Agreed, I think a big help to that is letting him cook that extra year, he'll be more ready to step in to the top 6, rather than work his way up from the farm.