Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
CC Legend

Re: Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Post by SKYO » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:30 pm

Correct Demko had a concussion back in 2016.
It’s worth noting that Demko missed Boston College’s January 8th and 9th contests due to a concussion suffered two weeks earlier.

https://canucksarmy.com/2016/08/30/canu ... her-demko/
Demko apparently didn't catch his concussion right away and continued to practice.
That makes a big difference and could be why it's taking so long.
Just talked with Utica gm Ryan Johnson about Thatcher Demko’s concussion, “Still in concussion protocol. He is progressing but it could take longer. He is starting to get back on the ice but has to start feeling pucks 1st.”
But like Crosby did, I hope Demko takes as long as he needs to get back to 100% before attempting to comeback.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:36 pm

SKYO wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:30 pm
Correct Demko had a concussion back in 2016.
It’s worth noting that Demko missed Boston College’s January 8th and 9th contests due to a concussion suffered two weeks earlier.

https://canucksarmy.com/2016/08/30/canu ... her-demko/
Demko apparently didn't catch his concussion right away and continued to practice.
That makes a big difference and could be why it's taking so long.
Just talked with Utica gm Ryan Johnson about Thatcher Demko’s concussion, “Still in concussion protocol. He is progressing but it could take longer. He is starting to get back on the ice but has to start feeling pucks 1st.”
But like Crosby did, I hope Demko takes as long as he needs to get back to 100% before attempting to comeback.
None of this is relevant to Vancouver stuffing him on a plane even after the player questioned flying.
TRY TO FOCUS ON HOW MY ASS TASTES IN ONE YEAR

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:41 pm

Demko agent said "We were told that he was medically cleared to travel, maybe the trip slowed down the progress."

idk
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:43 pm

SKYO wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:41 pm
Demko agent said "We were told that he was medically cleared to travel, maybe the trip slowed down the progress."

idk
And multiple reports including Friedman have said that Demko didn’t want to fly but was told to

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:52 pm

friedman only likes to get clicks/rt's 95% of the time.

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:11 pm

What about “the new workhorse Dhaliwal”?

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:34 pm

well the Canucks have their version. from what I'm told the Canucks medical staff did clear Demo to fly. Now ask yourself this, on what does a doctor base, in part, his medical opinion? Self reporting! Thats right, Demko reported being symptom free. As such 24 hours later, still reporting no symptoms, he was cleared to fly. Yes he did ask to wait 24-48 hours to be safe. He based his fear on past concussions. He was asked again if he had symptoms to which he replied no, he just wanted to be cautious. The Canucks told him if he was symptom free he was expected to report to Utica. Now if he was concerned all he had to do was make two calls. one to his agent and one to his player rep. He did neither. He got on the plane and flew. Then reported once he landed that he had a set back.

Is this a case of a player being a little on the hypochondriac side? A player with a serious set back? A player making a point? Or just a player who didn't fully recognize his symptoms? Is this a case of Canucks mismanagement? Should they have drilled down further as to why he wanted to stay and extra 24-48 hours? Should they have erred on the side of caution?

The reality is if Demko had said he wasn't 100% clear and was uncomfortable flying given his past history and had he called his agent to express his concerns Im sure there would have been a different outcome. But remember, he told everyone he was symptom free.

I was concerned when I first heard this given they had Peterson on a plane less then 24 hours after his concussion. I asked around. The Canucks have their version and I m told are a little miffed that this has all leaked out.There is no hard and fast rule about flying and concussions in the NHL. Perhaps there should be.

He does have a concussion history and has always had set backs after not fully recognizing symptoms. In this case I guess he was being cautious. But the onus is on the player. as much as the NHL or a team have a responsibility so do the players. Hopefully this doesn't become a CoHo thing where the relationship gets seriously harmed.

For what its worth I was also told Demko spent the summer preparing for the NHL. He was certain he was staying. He had been making plans to move to Vancouver. Perhaps he's a little disappointed and a little bit of a head case or high maintenance.

Or we can just accept that the Canucks fucked up royally and are incompetent and take unnecessary risks with their players.
The only HW the Canucks need

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:15 pm

What did he do on the flight?

Play video games. Watch a movie? Look out the window? Read a book? Close his eyes and rest?

Is there was video of him on the flight, I'm sure a teacher could offer up a diagnosis.
Last edited by Topper on Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:14 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:34 pm
from what I'm told the Canucks medical staff did clear Demo to fly. Now ask yourself this, on what does a doctor base, in part, his medical opinion? Self reporting! Thats right, Demko reported being symptom free. As such 24 hours later, still reporting no symptoms, he was cleared to fly. Yes he did ask to wait 24-48 hours to be safe. He based his fear on past concussions. He was asked again if he had symptoms to which he replied no, he just wanted to be cautious. The Canucks told him if he was symptom free he was expected to report to Utica. Now if he was concerned all he had to do was make two calls. one to his agent and one to his player rep. He did neither. He got on the plane and flew. Then reported once he landed that he had a set back.

The Canucks have their version and Im told are a little miffed that this has all leaked out. There is no hard and fast rule about flying and concussions in the NHL. Perhaps there should be.
The good ol' MEDIA love to create drama & controversy, ala TMZ.

Sounds like Demko just wasn't being cagey enough, concussions are really hard to gauge in severity it appears.

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:26 pm

It’s the media’s fault. Nothing to see here :?

Uncle dans leg
CC Legend

Post by Uncle dans leg » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:48 pm

Trade him!
nobody forks...with the jesus

micky107
CC Legend

Post by micky107 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:11 am

Topper wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:15 pm

Play video games. Watch a movie? Look out the window? Read a book? Close his eyes and rest?

Is there was video of him on the flight, I'm sure a teacher could offer up a diagnosis.
Hard to know what he was doing on his flight. Guess anything could trigger a change.

"evolution"

Carlyee
CC Veteran

Post by Carlyee » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:34 am

Topper wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:15 pm

And then could cure his concussion by violently wrenching on the afflicted's neck.

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:37 am

Strangelove wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:34 pm
Meds wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:10 pm
Read the scope of the article, don't just cherry pick a couple of lines.....unless you're really a Doc Sock!!!!!
Lol, so pwned... SO PWNED!!!!! :thumbs:

Meds... still... trying to convince people:

"It only seems like Doc crushed me in all those debates but actually he cheated... cheated I tells ya!!!!!

Reminds me of when he used to swear:

"I'm a 7-foot-tall long-distance-season-ticket holder!!!!!" :lol:
It's easy to crush someone by simply picking up the goal post and dropping it on them. :mrgreen:

And I am a season ticket holder, more or less.

The 7 foot thing was started by Blob, iirc. :lol:

ESQ
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ESQ » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:49 am

I think the issue from Demko's camp may be more that by getting on the plane and reporting to Utica, he is now collecting his AHL salary while injured, not his NHL salary. This would make sense if he reported being healthy when sent down - had he been forthcoming and said he wasn't feeling right still, he'd have an extra hundred grand to help in his recovery.