Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Sedins future in limbo

Post by SKYO »

"Could Daniel and Henrik Sedin be in play at the trade deadline?"

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Carol-Sc ... /194/90418

What was a foregone conclusion about the Sedins retiring as Canucks, could change, as the team continues to struggle to make the playoffs during the painful rebuild, I think the Sedins could see them being traded as really beneficial to the team's future success, just as the shrewd Burrows knows and he himself let himself be traded for the betterment of the franchise moving forward.

And maybe the Sedins might be getting excited about winning a Cup before they retire, this could be a kill two birds with one stone move,
1) help the Canucks future with being traded while
2) also getting a chance to win a Cup before retirement, plus who knows maybe they can sign for one day contract in Oct. to retire in Canucks uniforms.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

SKYO wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:07 pm "Could Daniel and Henrik Sedin be in play at the trade deadline?"

What was a foregone conclusion about the Sedins retiring as Canucks, could change, as the team continues to struggle to make the playoffs during the painful rebuild, I think the Sedins could see them being traded as really beneficial to the team's future success, just as the shrewd Burrows knows and he himself let himself be traded for the betterment of the franchise moving forward.

And maybe the Sedins might be getting excited about winning a Cup before they retire, this could be a kill two birds with one stone move,
2) also getting a chance to win a Cup before retirement, plus who knows maybe they can sign for one day contract in Oct. to retire in Canucks uniforms.
Exactly what I said a couple of weeks ago.
They said they would retire as Canucks. It's been done before.
"evolution"
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

micky107 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:22 pm
SKYO wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:07 pm "Could Daniel and Henrik Sedin be in play at the trade deadline?"

Exactly what I said a couple of weeks ago.
They said they would retire as Canucks. It's been done before.
As much as I like Burrows, the Sedins are on a different level. They are future HOFers. Similar to the Sundin's NTC fiasco in Toronto, GMJB has to be very careful with the situation.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by ESQ »

As good as the Sedins are performing right now, even if they were willing to waive (which I actually highly doubt), the market for them isn't big.

I suspect we can rule out Pac teams. They may be a good fit on Nashville as they would be an instant-2nd line. Winnipeg may be interested, but tough to get a waiver. Devils have tons of cap space and are in strong playoff position. Tampa might be able to fit them in the cap, but not in the roster.

Vegas might be interested, though they don't have many picks next season (surprisingly), but they have a ton of 19-year olds and a ton of picks in 2019 and 2020.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

No.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

2) also getting a chance to win a Cup before retirement,
I'd like to see the scenario play out for several reasons:
a) I agree it would help the re-build
b) I'd like to see the Sedins win a Cup
c) I'd like to have a team to cheer for in the playoffs (the Sedins' new team)
SKYO wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:07 pmplus who knows maybe they can sign for one day contract in Oct. to retire in Canucks uniforms.
Depending on how much they have left in the tank, maybe they even sign on at sweetheart deals for 2018/19 the way Salo did at the end, and provide high value/cap-hit components for useful 2nd and 3rd lines and (much valued on this board) mentoring.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Cornuck wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:32 pm
No.
lol. We're talking about re-signing Vanek and trading the Sedins? Yeaaaah time for the break to be over.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

ESQ wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:42 pm As good as the Sedins are performing right now, even if they were willing to waive (which I actually highly doubt), the market for them isn't big.

I suspect we can rule out Pac teams. They may be a good fit on Nashville as they would be an instant-2nd line. Winnipeg may be interested, but tough to get a waiver. Devils have tons of cap space and are in strong playoff position. Tampa might be able to fit them in the cap, but not in the roster.

Vegas might be interested, though they don't have many picks next season (surprisingly), but they have a ton of 19-year olds and a ton of picks in 2019 and 2020.
I think the Sedins stay and should stay, but if they don't, of the teams with cap space, Winnipeg would be great. The West is more open than it has been in a long, long time, and the Jets have a legitimate chance to go far -- especially if they can outlast St. Louis and Nashville and draw a wild card team in the first round (not that St. Louis or Nashville are invincible). With the Sedins, Winnipeg would be near impossible to play the match up game against. Kill em with offense. Plus, wouldn't it be cool to see the Sedins play with Laine or Ehlers or Wheeler?
Hono_rary Canadian
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:35 pm c) I'd like to have a team to cheer for in the playoffs (the Sedins' new team)

Depending on how much they have left in the tank, maybe they even sign on at sweetheart deals for 2018/19 the way Salo did at the end, and provide high value/cap-hit components for useful 2nd and 3rd lines and (much valued on this board) mentoring.
:thumbs:
UWSaint wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:42 pm
ESQ wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:42 pm I suspect we can rule out Pac teams. They may be a good fit on Nashville as they would be an instant-2nd line. Winnipeg may be interested, but tough to get a waiver. Devils have tons of cap space and are in strong playoff position. Tampa might be able to fit them in the cap, but not in the roster.
I think the Sedins stay and should stay, but if they don't, of the teams with cap space, Winnipeg would be great. The West is more open than it has been in a long, long time, and the Jets have a legitimate chance to go far -- especially if they can outlast St. Louis and Nashville and draw a wild card team in the first round (not that St. Louis or Nashville are invincible). With the Sedins, Winnipeg would be near impossible to play the match up game against. Kill em with offense. Plus, wouldn't it be cool to see the Sedins play with Laine or Ehlers or Wheeler?
Winnipeg has such a good fan base but a crappy city, thus it would be nice to bring the Cup back to Canada even if it in Winnipeg haha.

No doubt the Jets got size galore, skills, youth and vets - they'd dominate with the Sedins on their 3rd line, waves of attack to slay everyone in their path to Lord Stanley, beating Tampa, Vegas, Pens, Kings whoever.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

I wonder who the genius was that made up this mini, back to back road trip schedule after our break.
The Oilers stat an hour late to accommodate the east.
Then we fly to Winnipeg and start on less rest.
Dumb!!! That's how injuries happen.
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Sedins confirm they would like to come back next year on a one year deal. They think they can still contribute to the team and help mentor in all the youngins.

Don't expect to talk new contract until season is done.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:03 pm Sedins confirm they would like to come back next year on a one year deal. They think they can still contribute to the team and help mentor in all the youngins.

CANUCKS/SEDINS lose hard...................AGAIN (Young Oilers).

Time to get traded or retired, they are done here.

Boeser/Horvat don't need any mentorship.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

SKYO wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:10 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:03 pm Sedins confirm they would like to come back next year on a one year deal. They think they can still contribute to the team and help mentor in all the youngins.

If re-signing the twins prevents any "worthy" younger player from sticking with the roster then I agree 100%. So far that has been far far far from reality though and I'm hard pressed to see how those two coming back would prevent any roster additions of young blood next year. Even if all Virtanen, Goldobin, Dahlen, Petterson are ready for prime time, having the twins won't prevent them from playing in Vancouver. There are players like Vanek, Gaunce, Dowd that could give way.

With Virtanen already in the lineup we'd only have to make room for three.

Now if Gaudette, Lind, Gadjovich or anyone else pushes the case then perhaps. But since it's highly unlikely that we'd ice a team of 5-6 rookies in any event.....

Yes the twins are slow and poor defensively but they still seem to have 40-50 points in them and can eat minutes. For 3-4 million each per year I don't see them as a hinderance. They won't win us a cup but they are still useful. When they begin to impede the development of our youth then you say goodbye but that's simply not the case.

I'm hoping we pick up some picks/prospects this TDD. I'm hoping we have a few trades ready to go to clear out some players. Now if Benning has a trade on the table involving the twins and they pull a Burrows I'm all for moving them. Otherwise as it stands I'd be fine with one more year.
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

SKYO wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:10 pm

Agree! Not to mention, and I do think this is important, seeing your older team mates struggling to keep up with the speed of today's game
just depresses everyone! IMO, that aint good...
"evolution"
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

We, of so little faith 8-)
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….