Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 10711
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:43 pm

I said I’d give him one year, you have a problem reading ? And Id take the check book away. No more Gagner, Sutter, Eriksson contracts. I’m just not sure if he gets the benefit of the doubt from the deigos
TRY TO FOCUS ON HOW MY ASS TASTES IN ONE YEAR

nuckster
MVP
MVP
Posts: 492
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:35 am

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by nuckster » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:54 pm

Boy ya just knew the Canucks were going to miss Horvat on this road trip, just as they likely will for the next few weeks. We could be watching the season sink before our eyes before the new year.

Have to confess that i find Green's coaching philosophy a little odd. He puts in Chaput and takes out Goldobin. Baertchi's out now too. So what, does one strive to have a defensively sound team that can't score, over taking the chance with some rookies who might be able to score, i.e., Reid, Goldobin?

Another issue also exists with what some call 'veteranitis'. Leaving a liability out there like Gagner, game after game without consequences, yet pulling out one of your few offensive assetts like Goldobin... what's up with that? Is it because of Benning's influence (pride re: shitty contract). I don't know, smells a lot like Willie D's way of doing things. I mean shit, as an organization we can't do any better than bringing in Chaput again? Fuck i thought that story was DONE last year!? So yeah, our organizational depth still kinda sucks doesn't it?
cc oldtimer

User avatar
micky107
CC Legend
Posts: 4361
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by micky107 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:04 am

Ronning's Ghost wrote:
Jovocop wrote:It is just the Canucks luck. :(
You guys are so used to coming out on the wrong end of the favour of the Hockey Gawds that you don't know what it looks like when they throw you a bone.

Horvat and Baertschi are out for an extended period this season with injuries. Bad for them, in that I'm sure they'd rather play, but good for your team over the longer term in that:

1) The organization gets a chance to see what it has for depth (e.g. what do they have in Goldobin, at least at this stage)
2) Neither injury (Fred's opinion notwithstanding) looks to be a long-term threat to their careers
3) A weaker season statistically will make Baertschi cheaper to re-sign
4) Being clearly out of the playoffs at the deadline will mean that the ownership/management group will not be tempted to be buyers at the deadline, and might be persuaded to be sellers
5) With productive young players out, veterans will be asked to step up. This might improve their stats and inflate their trade deadline value.
6) Out of the playoffs keeps the team in the lottery

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the best chance for the Canucks to win a Cup is for the GM that many here think is a drafting genius to have as many picks as high in the rotation as possible until such time as the best of those picks are roster mainstays. Like maybe 1-2 years from now (depending on how fast Lidström-lite and Forsberg-lite can physically mature, and whether or how long it takes for the Treant to come back).
Talk about the "Boy in the Plastic Bubble".
You talk perfect case scenarios.
Wish full thinking, AND, more than 1 to 2 years.
"evolution"

Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:52 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by Zedlee » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:22 am

Ronning's Ghost wrote:
Jovocop wrote:It is just the Canucks luck. :(
You guys are so used to coming out on the wrong end of the favour of the Hockey Gawds that you don't know what it looks like when they throw you a bone.

Horvat and Baertschi are out for an extended period this season with injuries. Bad for them, in that I'm sure they'd rather play, but good for your team over the longer term in that:

1) The organization gets a chance to see what it has for depth (e.g. what do they have in Goldobin, at least at this stage)
2) Neither injury (Fred's opinion notwithstanding) looks to be a long-term threat to their careers
3) A weaker season statistically will make Baertschi cheaper to re-sign
4) Being clearly out of the playoffs at the deadline will mean that the ownership/management group will not be tempted to be buyers at the deadline, and might be persuaded to be sellers
5) With productive young players out, veterans will be asked to step up. This might improve their stats and inflate their trade deadline value.
6) Out of the playoffs keeps the team in the lottery

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the best chance for the Canucks to win a Cup is for the GM that many here think is a drafting genius to have as many picks as high in the rotation as possible until such time as the best of those picks are roster mainstays. Like maybe 1-2 years from now (depending on how fast Lidström-lite and Forsberg-lite can physically mature, and whether or how long it takes for the Treant to come back).
Good post. I would never hope for injuries but they happen and we have to make the best of it. Green now has to continue to roll 4 lines and see if any fringe guys can develop. He has to play Goldy though and what about Boucher?

This team still needs a few key pieces and they come through the draft. Even with the lottery draft changes, it's still better to draft higher than lower and so it wouldn't be the worst outcome if we finish deep in the standings and give ourselves a chance at another top 5 pick.

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 12950
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by Hockey Widow » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:00 pm

It seems the reason Goldobin is in the dog house relates to his practice habits. Green is a stickler for good habits and that includes working on details and on ice practice. Goldobin has been called out a couple of times for not putting in 100% during practices recently. Same thing that saw Green chastise him for last season. Same thing that dogged Virtanen, but apparently not anymore. Goldobin has been called out for dogging some on ice drills and not seeming to take practices as serious as Green feels players should.

Perhaps just youngster stuff but at least Green is consistent. One of his earlier knocks on Boeser coming out of camp was his seemingly laid back practice effort, that some like me labeled fatigue but Green saw as just bad habits.

Maybe that's just Green's M.O. Sees all kids in the same light and tries to establish a baseline whereas with veterans he sees it differently. Don't know. But anyway it seems Goldobin is getting the message and Green says we will likely see him next game.
The only HW the Canucks need

User avatar
micky107
CC Legend
Posts: 4361
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by micky107 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:36 pm

I need to send coach Green my old T-rex avatar so he can use it on his memos to players,
"evolution"

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 9244
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by SKYO » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:05 pm

Zedlee wrote:
Ronning's Ghost wrote:
Jovocop wrote:It is just the Canucks luck. :(
You guys are so used to coming out on the wrong end of the favour of the Hockey Gawds that you don't know what it looks like when they throw you a bone.

Horvat and Baertschi are out for an extended period this season with injuries. Bad for them, in that I'm sure they'd rather play, but good for your team over the longer term in that:

1) The organization gets a chance to see what it has for depth (e.g. what do they have in Goldobin, at least at this stage)
2) Neither injury (Fred's opinion notwithstanding) looks to be a long-term threat to their careers
3) A weaker season statistically will make Baertschi cheaper to re-sign
4) Being clearly out of the playoffs at the deadline will mean that the ownership/management group will not be tempted to be buyers at the deadline, and might be persuaded to be sellers
5) With productive young players out, veterans will be asked to step up. This might improve their stats and inflate their trade deadline value.
6) Out of the playoffs keeps the team in the lottery

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the best chance for the Canucks to win a Cup is for the GM that many here think is a drafting genius to have as many picks as high in the rotation as possible until such time as the best of those picks are roster mainstays. Like maybe 1-2 years from now (depending on how fast Lidström-lite and Forsberg-lite can physically mature, and whether or how long it takes for the Treant to come back).
Good post. I would never hope for injuries but they happen and we have to make the best of it. Green now has to continue to roll 4 lines and see if any fringe guys can develop. He has to play Goldy though and what about Boucher?

This team still needs a few key pieces and they come through the draft. Even with the lottery draft changes, it's still better to draft higher than lower and so it wouldn't be the worst outcome if we finish deep in the standings and give ourselves a chance at another top 5 pick.
Yeah the bright side is the team could have a chance at another decent pick, team could use game breaker especially on defense.

And goes to show if this team ever had some health luck, the team looked ready to get into the playoffs...but alas the hockey gods have shown no mercy once again and took out our entire 1st line sans Boeser, along with the sandpaper dudes & key role players.

And as an aside thanks to the nhl draft Oilers rule, even a team that went 19th overall (2016/17 Flyers) landed 2nd overall pick :D
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2204
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by Todd Bersnoozi » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:01 am

Lancer wrote:
I think Boucher's ship has sailed as a part of the club's future. IMO he's a more offensively talented Chaput/Megna - a placeholder who can skate at the AHL/NHL until one of the prospects is ready.
Woot, with Baercheese and BoHo out, looks like we'll get our regular dose of the likes of Chapoo, Megnatron and maybe Boucher again. I liked Boucher from what I saw of him last season. Now, JB just has to go out and get Jack Skillze back. :lol:

User avatar
Per
CC Legend
Posts: 3557
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by Per » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:39 am

micky107 wrote:
TDA Rum wrote:Dan Murphy‏Verified account
@sportsnetmurph
1m1 minute ago
More
Baertschi out 4-6 weeks with fractured jaw. #canucks
The time frame is bad enough.
Even worse will be if when he returns, he has to wear one of those caged full head protection things
like Gagner did after Kassian sucker sticked him when he was an Oiler. Was never the same.
It ruins your game and completely destroys your on-ice awareness.
IMO, it's better not to play games until it isn't needed.
I suppose a person would have to have played hockey at a pretty high level to know what I mean.
There is much more to on-ice awareness than is generally talked about. Like using the glass around the arena
out of the corner of your eye to help you read the ongoing play. Stuff like that.
Then of course there is the equilibrium difference. There is a lot to it.
If Öhlund could play with just one good eye, I'm sure Baertschi can play with a goalie mask...
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

User avatar
Per
CC Legend
Posts: 3557
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by Per » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:43 am

Jovocop wrote:
Rocky Dennis wrote:
Jovocop wrote:
TDA Rum wrote:Dan Murphy‏Verified account
@sportsnetmurph
1m1 minute ago
More
Baertschi out 4-6 weeks with fractured jaw. #canucks
Wow, the Canucks will have a tough time staying alive in the next few weeks with 2 of the top 6 out. :(
Yup. They've done a great job overcoming the several early season injuries but now they are really start to overlap and pile up. These ones, i fear, will put them in a spot that I just don't think they will recover from in terms of a playoff spot that they would have been hard pressed to secure as it is.

It sure seems the last three seasons have had more injuries and man games lost than ever before in this team's injury plagued history. That's just an impression i have - anyone have actual numbers? Im not knowledgeable in the realm of team health procedures like preventive measures, maintenance of minor hurts, general health and conditioning programs, and so on - and I realize injuries like baerstchi's are a fluke - but i still wonder sometimes, did they do themselves a disservice firing Mike Burnstein at the end of the 14/15 season. On the surface it seems like things have gotten worse in terms of overall club health and it's becoming quite a decent sample size now.
It is just the Canucks luck. :(
And Rödin's. If he had stuck around he might have finally gotten his chance.
Now he is sitting in Switzerland with a fractured ancle...
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

User avatar
Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1639
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:44 am

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by Tciso » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:29 am

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Lancer wrote:
I think Boucher's ship has sailed as a part of the club's future. IMO he's a more offensively talented Chaput/Megna - a placeholder who can skate at the AHL/NHL until one of the prospects is ready.
Woot, with Baercheese and BoHo out, looks like we'll get our regular dose of the likes of Chapoo, Megnatron and maybe Boucher again. I liked Boucher from what I saw of him last season. Now, JB just has to go out and get Jack Skillze back. :lol:
I like Boucher too, but he seems destined to be an AHL all-star, similar to Andew Ebbett. That isn't such a bad thing either, as he definitely has skillz (#homeboy), but he has a lot of weaknesses in his game too. He makes Utica a competitive team, which is important to developing the young dudes.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 9244
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by SKYO » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:37 pm

I have no ideal about Boucher, but considering we need goals, I wouldn't mind giving him a shot, especially as the team is in a losing streak, sometimes gotta roll the dice on swapping some players in/out.

From what I saw last year, Boucher has some jam to his game, I'm thinking all he needs a chance, I mean look at Vegas got all those players who just needed a legitimate chance to play.

Boucher on the 3rd line couldn't hurt this team who is lacking any goal scoring finish after Boeser.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

User avatar
micky107
CC Legend
Posts: 4361
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by micky107 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:49 pm

Per wrote:
micky107 wrote:
TDA Rum wrote:Dan Murphy‏Verified account
@sportsnetmurph
1m1 minute ago
More
Baertschi out 4-6 weeks with fractured jaw. #canucks
The time frame is bad enough.
Even worse will be if when he returns, he has to wear one of those caged full head protection things
like Gagner did after Kassian sucker sticked him when he was an Oiler. Was never the same.
It ruins your game and completely destroys your on-ice awareness.
IMO, it's better not to play games until it isn't needed.
I suppose a person would have to have played hockey at a pretty high level to know what I mean.
There is much more to on-ice awareness than is generally talked about. Like using the glass around the arena
out of the corner of your eye to help you read the ongoing play. Stuff like that.
Then of course there is the equilibrium difference. There is a lot to it.
If Öhlund could play with just one good eye, I'm sure Baertschi can play with a goalie mask...
Sorry Per. Ohlund could play but he was never the same and it did change everything.
Before, IMO, he was trending on a path to be a Norris defense man. Maybe more than once.
Just saying...
"evolution"

ESQ
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1690
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by ESQ » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:50 pm

I was looking back at Boucher'sgame log because I had recalled him getting kinda hot at one point last season. He scored 5g/6pts in an 11-game stretch. But he did that while getting 11-12 minutes of ice time and limited PP.

Not exactly setting the world on fire, but he had almost the same GP as Hansen and had one fewer goal and 7 fewer total points.

With the offensive depth being sorely tested due to 2/3 of the top line being out, I would for sure take a flyer on Boucher.

And realistically, Gaunce can clear waivers on his way back down if there's a numbers problem when Sutter returns this week.

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 10711
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:04 pm

I would be turfing Vic Dowd and Chaput before Gaunce.
TRY TO FOCUS ON HOW MY ASS TASTES IN ONE YEAR

Locked