The Official Dave Ayres CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: The Official CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Post by BigTuna »

Hockey Widow wrote:Well let's be clear. Toronto has to pay his full salary so they save nothing. They free up cap room if they need it, but they save nothing on salary. Great trade for the leaves, no question Nonis get out of that horrible deal.
And that means absolutely nothing. It's pocket change.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

[quote="Strangelove"][quote="BigTuna"]
You're trying hard to look at it only from Columbus' point of view. Toronto just saved over 5 million a year for the next 5+ seasons.

[b]Trading Clarkson was seen as the impossible[/b].[/quote]

Trading Horton was seen as the [b]even more[/b] impossible.

The cost Nonis ends up paying for 118 crap games of Clarkson is $35.6M.

$27.6M (yet to be paid to Horton) +$8M (paid to Clarkson so far) (most of his pay this year was via signing bonus).

Yeahno, don't think the higher-ups are happy with Nonis' $35.6M blunder.

And hey, that LTIR space is not all sunshine & lollipops.

Ask the Flyers about some of the Pronger headaches.

Using that LTIR room will result in things like

- No Deadline deals to improve the team

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2014/1 ... s-not-good

- Any bonuses for young players (aren't they rebuilding?) will be tacked onto the following year.

- The Leaves will lose almost all of their 10% off-season cap-overage flexibility.

(makes it tougher to sign any UFAs + your RFAs - especially when combined with tacked-on bonuses)

Not sure why a rebuilding team wants "extra cap-space".

A desperate move by a desperate team.

I think things were so awkward with Clarkson in TO that they jumped on this Horton offer.

Garbage for garbage, the Leaves will continue to suck forever.

Or perhaps Tuna can explain how the Leaves get better any time soon. :mex:[/quote]

How come I never once heard Horton's deal was tougher to trade than Clarkson's?
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

BigTuna wrote: How come I never once heard Horton's deal was tougher to trade than Clarkson's?
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

BigTuna wrote: How come I never once heard Horton's deal was tougher to trade than Clarkson's?
Probably because it was only a big deal for a budget team like Columbus. If Horton was in a cap market they would just eat the money and replace him. The plus side with Clarkson is he's at least redeemable, whereas Horton is likely never going to play again and can just get fat and collect his guaranteed money.

What I don't get is why they wouldn't just eat some of Clarkson's deal to maybe get a real asset back. They're going to suck for a few years, so LTIR likely won't apply. Why not eat $2.5M of his cap space and get a draft pick or two? As Doc has pointed out, they are now stuck with a guy in Horton who could really limit their options. One look at teams like Philly (Pronger) and Boston (Savard) and you'll see how difficult it is to juggle guys permanently on LTIR.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Aaronp18 wrote:
It was never said once by anyone.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Probably because it was only a big deal for a budget team like Columbus. If Horton was in a cap market they would just eat the money and replace him. The plus side with Clarkson is he's at least redeemable, whereas Horton is likely never going to play again and can just get fat and collect his guaranteed money.

What I don't get is why they wouldn't just eat some of Clarkson's deal to maybe get a real asset back. They're going to suck for a few years, so LTIR likely won't apply. Why not eat $2.5M of his cap space and get a draft pick or two? As Doc has pointed out, they are now stuck with a guy in Horton who could really limit their options. One look at teams like Philly (Pronger) and Boston (Savard) and you'll see how difficult it is to juggle guys permanently on LTIR.
Why the hell would you eat 2-3 million a year for 5 years for a 3rd round draft pick or worse?
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Eat 2-3 million a year for a draft pick or prospect, as opposed to being stuck with the Horton cap that will hinder them for five years without an asset. Ya I see your point. Better to eat 5.3 on the cap and be Prongered or Savarded.

Neither is ideal but at least if you get back a pick or prospect you have anther asset that may make your line up, and with the leaves it won't take much. Spin away. Nonis fucked up and someone is trying to clean the mess up but it still sucks.

Oh I get the potential to put him on LTIR but I think Doc has more than shown how that can hamper a team. I get being so desperate that any ray looks like sunshine but face it. It's crap circumvention. And cap circumvention too.
The only HW the Canucks need
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Hockey Widow wrote:Eat 2-3 million a year for a draft pick or prospect, as opposed to being stuck with the Horton cap that will hinder them for five years without an asset. Ya I see your point. Better to eat 5.3 on the cap and be Prongered or Savarded.

Neither is ideal but at least if you get back a pick or prospect you have anther asset that may make your line up, and with the leaves it won't take much. Spin away. Nonis fucked up and someone is trying to clean the mess up but it still sucks.

Oh I get the potential to put him on LTIR but I think Doc has more than shown how that can hamper a team. I get being so desperate that any ray looks like sunshine but face it. It's crap circumvention. And cap circumvention too.
The Horton deal doesn't really hinder them at all. They use the cap room if they decide to truly rebuild and probably won't need to spend to the cap. If they do want to as they get better in years 3-5, they can spend to the cap and not have it held against them.

Nonis did fuck up. But I will argue Columbus fucked up much more. If you're losing millions, why the hell do you sign a player that you can't get insurance for? They were bankrupting themselves and threatening the entire existence of the organization.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Relive the Glory

I keep waiting for the "Oh Fuck" moment when TO realizes how much this handicaps them.

Much like Calgary and the ROR offer sheet and Phili with the overage Pronger deal.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Topper wrote:Relive the Glory

I keep waiting for the "Oh Fuck" moment when TO realizes how much this handicaps them.

Much like Calgary and the ROR offer sheet and Phili with the overage Pronger deal.
There will be no moment like that. This was a tremendous victory getting rid of that contract. No one ever thought they'd be able to move it to another team.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Why is a thread about the leaves the hottest thread on a Canuck fan board? Fucking hell.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Arachnid
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Arachnid »

RoyalDude wrote:Why is a thread about the leaves the hottest thread on a Canuck fan board? Fucking hell.
Follow the leader....
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Arachnid wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Why is a thread about the leaves the hottest thread on a Canuck fan board? Fucking hell.
Follow the leader....
And who might that be?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

I just like fishing.
The only HW the Canucks need
okcanuck
CC Veteran

Post by okcanuck »

Because it's so much fun watching the "centre of the universe" flagship sports team sink even lower than we ever hoped possible and I don't mean in the standings. It's just a totally fucked up team that will now go on a bit of a tear just to fall short of the play-offs by about 6 points. It's very therapeutic for real Canuck fans.