Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Betamax » Fri May 16, 2014 2:45 pm

ClamRussel wrote:
Betamax wrote:Clam, what was your opinion of Torts' when he was first hired here and then began coaching the team?

I was torn. I recall being happy the country-club atmosphere was being shaken up but didn't necessarily think we were getting an upgrade in terms of a coach. AV appeared to have gotten stale, the crew appeared to have tuned him out a bit. They certainly weren't working hard enough. I didn't like Torts' declarations one bit. The idea of using the Twins to kill penalties and block shots sounded absurd to me. We had players to do that. They weren't getting any younger and had their best years under Vigneault. AV knew how to use them. I saw that as a negative. I remember being concerned w/ how things ended in NY for Torts. It was basically mutiny. I didn't believe he had changed in only a few months. I appreciated how candid he was but thought he said some insensitive and odd things at the same time. I was disappointed we didn't hire Stevens but preferred Torts to Gulutzan. I remember enjoying how the media were squirming over Torts, they were scared. That was a positive. Something had to give, the playoffs were a total disaster since '11. I thought MG would do more.

What were your thoughts and opinions at the time?

My opinions on Fonzie were well documented when I posted on hfboards. In fact, I was one of the few rational posters there that regularly criticized the guy when we had a bunch of apologists/fanboys on that site making excuse after excuse for him and blinding eating whatever crap sandwiches he was feeding them.

That was sick and was something I did not support. Now, Betamax like one of those 300 Spartan Warriors, valiantly waged "battle" against the numerous disciples of Fonzie at the time and the powers that be on said site! The battle was epic. Well kinda ...

I would like to point out to one thread ... you know the infamous "Cell Phone Incident" involving Fonzie:

re: Coach T's I will walk.
Thread created: 09-16-2013, 05:39 PM

via: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showt ... ?t=1498885

It makes for some very amusing reading, ICYMI the first time.

Since I didn't feel I received the credit I deserve, in the here in now, I would like to take the time to quote myself back on 09-17-2013, 01:55 PM, in reply to former canuckscorner poster, tantalum:

tantalum wrote:No big deal and it should be expected. You are in a meeting. Turn the phone off. It's really just polite and something that is expected in most companies. This is no different. You either want to ask questions/listen to answers or talk/type on the phone. You can not do both.

and

tantalum wrote:Shockingly Team 1040 is right in line with Torts on this topic. You are in a professional setting so turn it off.

The Response:

Betamax wrote:Sure. But people do make mistake. Let's remember, Coach Torts is a representative of the Canucks and one of their most prominent figures at the moment. Do you think it's polite to threaten to talk about huge fines, and "walking off" when hearing an inadvertent cell phone go off? Yeah, sure it's annoying. But he could have handled it like what most people would ... in a less than hostile manner. That was just a little incident. Just imagine when something really bothers him this upcoming season. Will all his re-branding talk about changing his approach be nothing more than just that ... talk and the real Torts will appear when he and the Canucks have their stretch of adversity?

Well, that's interesting! Betamax foreshadowing the future ... Nothing new. Image
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby BurningBeard » Fri May 16, 2014 3:01 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:When the guy signing your cheques tells you to do something, you tend to do it.

I doubt Burningbeard would continue to throw extra turkey on the footlongs if his boss explicitly told him not to.

BTW, thanks BB. Hope you didn't catch too much shit.

No problem Maverick, I'd do it again. ;)
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
BurningBeard
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Fri May 16, 2014 5:26 pm

Betamax wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Rangers wouldn't even make the playoffs in the west

duh, they had an overall winning record (14-13-1) vs. their Western Conference Opponnents despite starting the season in an extended 9 game road trip with the first 5 against the western conference teams.

So I think they would have made the playoffs. 8-)

No they wouldn't
Tell me how my ass tastes.
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Postby Todd Bersnoozi » Fri May 16, 2014 5:36 pm

Just wanted to say, I was @ the library the other day and noticed a dood reading this CC forum. :D
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Rumsfeld » Fri May 16, 2014 5:42 pm

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Just wanted to say, I was @ the library the other day and noticed a dood reading this CC forum. :D

LIES
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Betamax » Fri May 16, 2014 5:48 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Betamax wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Rangers wouldn't even make the playoffs in the west

duh, they had an overall winning record (14-13-1) vs. their Western Conference Opponnents despite starting the season in an extended 9 game road trip with the first 5 against the western conference teams.

So I think they would have made the playoffs. 8-)

No they wouldn't

Why not?
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Fri May 16, 2014 5:52 pm

Not good enough
Tell me how my ass tastes.
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Postby Rumsfeld » Fri May 16, 2014 5:57 pm

No they wouldn't

Why not?

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Not good enough

This is SO awesome! Do you guys also comment on youtube videos?

Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Betamax » Fri May 16, 2014 6:01 pm

Topper wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Players complaining about not enough scheduled practices

Blame the CBA and west coast travel schedule for much of that.

How much worse was the travel schedule under AV versus Fonzie? I doubt the new CBA and the new rules were prohibitive to the point that it was a primary reason why Fonzie didn't schedule more practices.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Betamax » Fri May 16, 2014 6:05 pm

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Just wanted to say, I was @ the library the other day and noticed a dood reading this CC forum. :D

What happens @ the library stays in the library. Milan Lucic would agree with that. 8-)
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Rumsfeld » Fri May 16, 2014 6:08 pm

Betamax wrote:

What happens @ the library stays in the library. Milan Lucic would agree with that. 8-)

Did you know he's a teecher?

:lol:
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby rats19 » Fri May 16, 2014 6:36 pm

A dude.... at the library......on CC .....hmmmm. IP nightly
You are who you hang with.....
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby black ace » Fri May 16, 2014 7:59 pm

hearing all the stuff now about Torts not being at practice, skipping meetings so he could go back to point roberts and you really wonder what the hell he was thinking... Did he want to be here ? Was the divide with Gillis early ?

Questions we will never know the answer to I guess.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Strangelove » Fri May 16, 2014 8:05 pm

rats19 wrote:A dude.... at the library......on CC .....hmmmm. IP nightly

Ah yes, the library.

Where socks are born....
____
The Ring Leader
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Fri May 16, 2014 8:06 pm

black ace wrote:hearing all the stuff now about Torts not being at practice, skipping meetings so he could go back to point roberts and you really wonder what the hell he was thinking... Did he want to be here ? Was the divide with Gillis early ?

Questions we will never know the answer to I guess.

Ah yes, the internet.

Where rumours are born...
____
The Ring Leader
Strangelove
CC Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat