Canucks Trade History Challenge

A forum for Canucks trivia, stats inquiries, this forum compliments our History Section database created by George Fawcett.

Moderator: Referees

Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

Great Thread Rising Sun !!

The old Atlanta Flames...Canucks trade the original Trevor Linden...Don Lever #9 to Atlanta Flames on Feb. 8, 1980 in a multi-player transaction that brought Darcy Rota and Ivan Boldirev to Vancouver.
10 days later.....
The hated Toronto Maple leaves.....the Canucks obtain Tiger Williams and Jerry Butler from the leaves for Rick Vaive and Bill Derlago
debateable as Vaive was a beauty & scored 50 with the leaves..The Canucks go to the Stanley Cup finals two years later with all of them as contributors.

Gary " Suitcase" Smith was traded to the Minnesota North Stars for fellow-netminder Cesare Maniago. I loved Cesare !!

Even better was Tom Kurvers to Minnesota North Stars for Dave Babych
what a beauty Babych was for the Canucks. He ws a rock in '94

Petri Skriko traded to Boston for a second round draft pick with which Vancouver selected Mike Peca in 1992. If we would have kept Peca it might have made up for Neely!!

Montreal - a second-round draft choice to the Canadiens for Lumme...what a steal
I have more but I need a bit more Crown Royal to look into the dark corners of my mind....who did we trade to get Larry Melnyk from the NYR????
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Backwash
AHL Prospect

Post by Backwash »

Rising Sun Canuck wrote: Does anyone also know what we got for Lumme, I remember he was from Montreal I believe.
Donald Brashear.

EDIT: totally read that wrong.....Brashear is not the right answer as Lumme left for Phx as a FA. Brashear did come from Mtl too.

Vadim Sharifjanov was also part of the Almo for Bmo, Pedersen deal.
Rising Sun Canuck
CC Rookie

Post by Rising Sun Canuck »

Sorry for the delayed update....had a long night with Japanese sake......

As expected, alot of the trades are from the eastern conference. Forgot about the babych trade. It would be neat to find out if the Cancuks traded any draft picks away who turned out to be studs.

As for the expansion teams, have the nucks ever traded with the Wild, Thrashers, Predators or Bluejackets?
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Rising Sun Canuck wrote:Sorry for the delayed update....had a long night with Japanese sake......

As expected, alot of the trades are from the eastern conference. Forgot about the babych trade. It would be neat to find out if the Cancuks traded any draft picks away who turned out to be studs.

As for the expansion teams, have the nucks ever traded with the Wild, Thrashers, Predators or Bluejackets?
Bluejackets, yes.

At the 2003-2004 trade deadline, the Canucks traded a pick (2nd round?) for Geoff Sanderson. Never could hold on to him again though because of salary. Was a shame because I loved his speed.
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

Backwash wrote: Vadim Sharifjanov was also part of the Almo for Bmo, Pedersen deal.
the actual trade was

New Jersey Devils traded Vadim Sharifijanov and a 3rd round selection (Tim Branham) in 2000 to the Vancouver Canucks for a 2nd round selection (previously acquired - Teemu Laine) in 2000 and a 3rd round selection (previously acquired - Max Birbraer) in 2000.

he was not involved in the Bmo/Almo trade

this is Brian Burkes self proclaimed worst trade of his time as a GM
LiveFromVCR
AHL Prospect

Re: Canucks Trade History Challenge

Post by LiveFromVCR »

Western Conference

Anaheim:
Calgary:Ronnie Sturm for Dana Muryzn
Chicago:Vancouver Canucks traded Bryan McCabe and 1st round selection (Pavel Vorobiev) in 2000 to the Chicago Blackhawks for 1st round selection (Daniel Sedin) and Ivan Bolderev and Darcy Rota for?
Colorado:
Dallas:
Columbus:
Edmonton:
Los Angeles:
Detroit:
Minnesota:
Phoenix::
Nashville:
San Jose:
St.Louis:St. Louis Blues traded Geoff Courtnall, Robert Dirk, Sergio Momesso, Cliff Ronning and 5th round selection (Brian Loney) in 1992 to the Vancouver Canucks for Dan Quinn and Garth Butcher

Eastern Conference

Boston: - CamNeely and Vancouver's first round draft pick in 1987 (Glen Wesley) to for Barry Pederson
New Jersey:Kirk Mclean Traded by Devils (with C Greg Adams) to Vancouver Canucks for C Patrik Sundstrom and fourth-round pick in 1988 draft (LW Matt Ruchty), Later it would be Mogilny to the New Jersey Devils for Brendan Morrison, Denis Pederson
Atlanta:
Buffalo:Buffalo Sabres traded Alexander Mogilny and 5th round selection (Todd Norman) in 1995 to the Vancouver Canucks for Mike Peca, Mike Wilson and 1st round selection (Jay McKee) in 1995.
New York Islanders:Canucks trade Trevor Linden for Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan McCabe and a 3rd round draft pick (Jarkko Ruutu)
Carolina: Enrico Ciccone, Sean Burke and Geoff Sanderson tfor Kirk McLean and Martin Gelinas.
Montreal: A second-round draft choice to the Canadiens for Lumme
New York Rangers:
Florida: To the Florida Panthers: Pavel Bure, Bret Hedican, Brad Ference, and Vancouver's 3rd round choice in the 2000 NHL Entry Draft (Robert Fried) for Ed Jovanovski, Dave Gagner, Mike Brown, Kevin Weekes, and Florida's first round draft choice in the 2000 draft (Nathan Smith).
Ottawa:
Philadelphia:Sean Burke for Garth Snow. Later Vancouver Canucks traded Donald Brashear and a 6th round selection (later traded to Columbus - Jaroslav Balastik) in 2002 to the Philadelphia Flyers for Jan Hlavac and 3rd round selection (previously acquired - Brett Skinner) in 2002. Dennis Ververgaert for Kevin McCarthy
Tampa Bay:Dan Cloutier for Adrian Aucoin and a 2nd round pick
Toronto: Rick Viave, Bill Derlego for Dave "Tiger" Williams and Jerry Butler.
Pittsburgh: Markus Naslund for Alex Stojanov
Washington:Trevor Linden and a 2nd round selection (previously acquired - Denis Grot) in 2002 to the Vancouver Canucks for a 1st round selection (Boyd Gordon) in 2002 and a 3rd round selection in 2003.

Defunct teams
Atlanta Flames: Don Lever for Darcy Rota and Ivan Boldirev
Minnesota North Stars: Gary " Suitcase" Smith for Cesare Maniago. Tom Kurvers tfor Dave Babych

Well off the top of my head i can think of a few blockbusters that we have made.

To Vancouver:
Cliff Ronning
Geoff Courtnall
Sergio Mommeso
Robert Dirk

To St.Louis:
Dan Quinn
Garth Butcher

To Vancouver:
Jeff Brown
Nathan Lafayette
Bret Hedican

To St.Louis:
Craig Janney (compensation for Blues signing Neved)

To Vancouver:
Sean Burke
Geoff Sanderson
Enricco Ciccone

To Carolina:
Kirk McLean
Martin Gelinas

How are those for ya?
McIntyre
AHL Prospect

Post by McIntyre »

We got Bolderev and Rota for Don Lever.

I've got to disagree with your choice of Calgary trades. We got Paul Reinhart for a draft pick, and he made an instant impact, a leader in the 89 - 7 gamer with the Flames.

Stinker trades I remember were Bob Dailey to Philly for Jack McIlhargey and Larry not Goodenough and the Cam Neely deal.
"Last season, we couldn’t win at home and we were losing on the road. My failure as a coach was that I couldn’t think of any place else to play."
-- Harry Neale - 1980
BA6735
AHL Prospect

Re: Canucks Trade History Challenge

Post by BA6735 »

Rising Sun Canuck wrote:Sitting at my desk at work right now...pretty bored with nothing to do and the forums seemed to have dried up due to her current skid-so I was pondering this one question.

What I am wondering is, what is the biggest trade the Canucks have made with each of the 30 NHL teams.

Some of the newer teams I can't recall the Canucks really dealing any players for. If you can, post up which trade you feel is the most significant for the Canucks. Either the other team getting the better end of the deal or the Nucks.

As people submit their biggest trade for the different teams, I will fill in the blanks.

Western Conference

Anaheim:
Calgary:Ronnie Sturm for Dana Muryzn
Chicago:Vancouver Canucks traded Bryan McCabe and 1st round selection (Pavel Vorobiev) in 2000 to the Chicago Blackhawks for 1st round selection (Daniel Sedin) and Ivan Bolderev and Darcy Rota for?
Colorado:
Dallas:
Columbus:
Edmonton:
Los Angeles:
Detroit:
Minnesota:
Phoenix::
Nashville:
San Jose:
St.Louis:St. Louis Blues traded Geoff Courtnall, Robert Dirk, Sergio Momesso, Cliff Ronning and 5th round selection (Brian Loney) in 1992 to the Vancouver Canucks for Dan Quinn and Garth Butcher

Eastern Conference

Boston: - CamNeely and Vancouver's first round draft pick in 1987 (Glen Wesley) to for Barry Pederson
New Jersey:Kirk Mclean Traded by Devils (with C Greg Adams) to Vancouver Canucks for C Patrik Sundstrom and fourth-round pick in 1988 draft (LW Matt Ruchty), Later it would be Mogilny to the New Jersey Devils for Brendan Morrison, Denis Pederson
Atlanta:
Buffalo:Buffalo Sabres traded Alexander Mogilny and 5th round selection (Todd Norman) in 1995 to the Vancouver Canucks for Mike Peca, Mike Wilson and 1st round selection (Jay McKee) in 1995.
New York Islanders:Canucks trade Trevor Linden for Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan McCabe and a 3rd round draft pick (Jarkko Ruutu)
Carolina: Enrico Ciccone, Sean Burke and Geoff Sanderson tfor Kirk McLean and Martin Gelinas.
Montreal: A second-round draft choice to the Canadiens for Lumme
New York Rangers:
Florida: To the Florida Panthers: Pavel Bure, Bret Hedican, Brad Ference, and Vancouver's 3rd round choice in the 2000 NHL Entry Draft (Robert Fried) for Ed Jovanovski, Dave Gagner, Mike Brown, Kevin Weekes, and Florida's first round draft choice in the 2000 draft (Nathan Smith).
Ottawa:
Philadelphia:Sean Burke for Garth Snow. Later Vancouver Canucks traded Donald Brashear and a 6th round selection (later traded to Columbus - Jaroslav Balastik) in 2002 to the Philadelphia Flyers for Jan Hlavac and 3rd round selection (previously acquired - Brett Skinner) in 2002. Dennis Ververgaert for Kevin McCarthy
Tampa Bay:Dan Cloutier for Adrian Aucoin and a 2nd round pick
Toronto: Rick Viave, Bill Derlego for Dave "Tiger" Williams and Jerry Butler.
Pittsburgh: Markus Naslund for Alex Stojanov
Washington:Trevor Linden and a 2nd round selection (previously acquired - Denis Grot) in 2002 to the Vancouver Canucks for a 1st round selection (Boyd Gordon) in 2002 and a 3rd round selection in 2003.

Defunct teams
Atlanta Flames: Don Lever for Darcy Rota and Ivan Boldirev
Minnesota North Stars: Gary " Suitcase" Smith for Cesare Maniago. Tom Kurvers tfor Dave Babych

I'm not that old yet, so I can't remember some of the really old trades in the 70's and early 80's- so any more senior posters can post up their ideas.

I'll start with Florida and say as of right now, the Bure trade is bigger then the Luongo trade. Just because Jovo has made more of an impact on the Canucks and Bure went on to post some great numbers with the Panthers.

We can even post up some of the defunct teams, if anyone remembers any big names being dealt there.

If there is some argument between which trade was more significant, I can put up multiple trades.
It was Darcy Rota and Ivan Boldirev for Don Lever and Brad Smith