Name your favourite unsung hero from the past

A forum for Canucks trivia, stats inquiries, this forum compliments our History Section database created by George Fawcett.

Moderator: Referees

DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Name your favourite unsung hero from the past

Post by DavidPratt_ »

OK Everyone,

I know many of you are chomping at the bit for training camp and the start of the NHL season, but I thought I'd ask a question about the Canucks and the past.

Name your favourite 'unsung' player from the Canucks past. When I say 'unsung' I mean a player you liked who never got a lot of attention but was someone you really liked because of their contribution to the team for whatever reason. No Linden, Bure, Naslund, Maclean, Gary Smith, Andre Boudrias, Stan Smyl. Some guy who had a non-spectacular career - maybe toiled in the minors most of their career but for some reason was your favourite.

One of my favourites was Curt Ridley, a goalie who the Canucks picked up in the mid-70s. Ridley was never the official starter for Vancouver back then - he typically backed up Cesare Maniago but I liked him. I remember watching him in an exhibition game against Spartak and I remember him being chosen as the Canucks top player for that game.

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

I like this topic. Mine would have to be Ryan Walter and Dave Babych. Loved what they did on the ice, and when I met the team in the locker room in Buffalo back in 93, they were so nice to me and hung out me the whole time.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
vancando
AHL Prospect

Post by vancando »

Unsung player of all time, number 9....Don Lever
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

vancando wrote:Unsung player of all time, number 9....Don Lever
I'm not old enough to have seen him play, but I'll agree just cause he's a hometown boy and went on a few dates with my mom when he was younger. But he did wear #10 at one point.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

Linden Is God wrote:I like this topic. Mine would have to be Ryan Walter and Dave Babych. Loved what they did on the ice, and when I met the team in the locker room in Buffalo back in 93, they were so nice to me and hung out me the whole time.
Dave Babych is a great guy. Very underrated defenseman.

dp

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

Gary Valk, reliable, hard working, did whatever was asked of him which was never very glorious.
Mark
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

MarkMM wrote:Gary Valk, reliable, hard working, did whatever was asked of him which was never very glorious.
Now that's an unsung hero! As much as I liked Don Lever in the '70s, he was a leading scorer for the Canucks. We're talking about guys who played on the fourth line, etc.

dp

DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

Anyone here remember Gary Lupul? That's another unsung guy I really liked. Murray Baron is a more recent Canuck who I also liked.

dp

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Gary Lupul was one of the first names that popped into my head, but number one was Garth Butcher. It took him a while to get established, but he ended up with almost 900 NHL games and was a solid player.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
dal
AHL Prospect

Post by dal »

My vote goes to Shawn Antoski for the 94 run. This guy set the phyiscal tone on every shift he played in that run and had the Rangers D in a panic.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

An oldie (for me) would be as dal said Shawn Antoski. Gino Odjick is another one.

The most current one is Mattias Ohlund. No matter what the guy does, he's never mentioned in talks among commentators/analysts/broadcasters as one of the most reliable defensemen.
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

jchockey wrote:An oldie (for me) would be as dal said Shawn Antoski. Gino Odjick is another one.
Oldie?? Where were you when Gary Smith was in goal for Vancouver in '75?

dp

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

DavidPratt_ wrote: Oldie?? Where were you when Gary Smith was in goal for Vancouver in '75?
Smith was one of the new guys - Charlie Hodge was the man!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Nucksfan10
CC Rookie

Unsung HERO

Post by Nucksfan10 »

I would have to say Gelinas, he was money. Although I do have Chris Levesque as my #2. He warmed the bench like no other, and with finals on the go as well. Plus think of the ladies he got for suiting up with the nucks during classes. The Carrot Pimp he should be called. Marty Gelinas though, its been proven on every team he plays for.
It was all about the Russian Rocket.....there i said it
sgtx3
AHL Prospect

Post by sgtx3 »

Bobby Lalonde and Mike Walton