Prospects Thread 2012-13

Talk about your favorite prospects and the happenings of the Canucks AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Canucks.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: Prospects Thread 2012-13

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Zack must have been listening as he's come alive with 3 excellent shifts where they were unlucky not to score... That post shouldve been in the net. He's got hands that kid

As I'm typing...Archibald bangs in the go ahead goal on the powerplay.

Fuck. I went and mixed a rye/coke, came back like a minute later and it's all over 3-2 admirals. What the fuck?!?!?
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Zack must have been listening as he's come alive with 3 excellent shifts where they were unlucky not to score... That post shouldve been in the net. He's got hands that kid

As I'm typing...Archibald bangs in the go ahead goal on the powerplay.

Fuck. I went and mixed a rye/coke, came back like a minute later and it's all over 3-2 admirals. What the fuck?!?!?
Rye and Coke??? Shite Dan, that's foul...hit the hard stuff straight up like a good quality Scotch Whiskey or something.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Boy, the Wolves just keep on losing. The pain continues
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Taking a look at this you have to wonder how come Schroeder at 5' 8" is not doing as well ??
Tampa Bay Finding Success In Unconventional Places

by Jonathan Willis

A look down the list of AHL scoring leaders as November gives way to December features a lot of familiar names. There are a bunch of guys with NHL experience—Jordan Eberle, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Brayden Schenn, and Nino Niederreiter among them. Justin Schultz became famous as a highly sought after free agent in the summer.

And then there's Tampa Bay's Tyler Johnson, a player of significantly different pedigree.

As of November 30, Johnson was in the top five in total points scored and the league leader in goals with 13 through 17 contests. He was never a highly-touted prospect; in fact, he was never even drafted. And he's one of several low-profile, undrafted free agents excelling for the Tampa Bay Lightning's farm team in Syracuse.

The most famous of these players is Cory Conacher. The diminutive Conacher—listed at 5'8", 179 pounds—surprised many last year by leading the AHL in goals and winning the league's MVP award as a rookie professional. Conacher had spent his amateur career with little-known Canisius College and at the end of 2010-11 got a little bit of professional experience, picking up six points in seven games between the AHL affiliates of Buffalo and Nashville. That brief run wasn't enough to secure a roster spot—Conacher had to settle that summer for a training camp invitation with Tampa Bay.

The Lightning did not sign Conacher out of training camp, but they did assign him to their AHL affiliate in Norfolk, where he played under a two-way contract. By March, with 30 goals and 64 points through 57 contests, Tampa Bay made the decision to sign him to two-year entry-level contract.

In some ways, there are echoes of Conacher in Johnson. Like last year's AHL MVP, Johnson's size has always worked against him in professional hockey—the AHL lists him at 5'10", 183 pounds, while other sites suggest he's an inch shorter and 10 pounds lighter. He was never drafted. Unlike Conacher, Johnson went the WHL route, playing four seasons with his hometown Spokane Chiefs. He was a late bloomer, with decent numbers over his career but nothing exceptional until 2010-11, when he recorded 53 goals and 115 points through 71 contests.

The Lightning signed Johnson to a three-year entry-level deal in March of that year. While Conacher's stunning performance took the lion's share of the attention in 2011-12, Johnson too had a memorable debut, scoring 31 times and finishing with 68 points in 75 games. He would play a key role in the playoffs as well, scoring at a point-per-game pace for Norfolk.

Individual successes, such as those of Conacher and Johnson, were strong stories but very much the subplot to Norfolk's 2011-12 season. Most of the attention was on the Admirals' successes at the team level. In 2011-12, the club set a professional hockey record with 28 consecutive victories, and unsurprisingly went on win the league championship in the spring. Tampa Bay changed their affiliation from Norfolk to Syracuse over the summer, and the early results have been impressive there, too: a 12-3-1-1 start to the season, and the second-most points in the league through November 30.

Conacher, Johnson, and a trio of Lightning draft picks—Brett Connolly, Richard Panik, and Ondrej Palat—lead the team in scoring, but other undrafted free agents play important roles with the club.

J.T. Brown, the son of former NFL running back Ted Brown, was a highly-prized college free agent last March and earned five games with Tampa Bay. An undersized scorer with great wheels, Brown appeared in five NHL contests with the Lightning to close out 2011-12. He has 10 points through 13 AHL contests in his first full professional season, but other areas of his game have also impressed head coach Jon Cooper:

"He's a tough, gritty kid. I didn't know how gritty he is. He won't bow out of an altercation in the corner. He lays out and blocks shots."

Another Lightning signee is a very different sort of player. Defenseman Dmitry Korobov stands 6'2" and weighs 236 pounds. The 23-year-old agreed to terms with Tampa Bay in August after playing the previous two seasons in the KHL; despite his youth, he has also twice represented Belarus at the World Championships. His +12 plus/minus is the best number on the team and he adds a physical element to the blue line. Cooper sees the benefits of Korobov's professional experience, complimenting the "discreet, savvy plays" that he makes.

Danick Gauthier has been somewhat less successful; he has just a lone goal over his six AHL games this season, but even so, he was an interesting gamble for the Lightning. Another late bloomer, Gauthier spent most of his career in a checking line role in the QMJHL before emerging as a scorer last season. The 6'2" forward outscored high-end prospects like Jonathan Huberdeau, Zack Phillips, and Tomas Jurco for the Saint John Sea Dogs in 2011-12, leading the team with both 47 goals and 86 points. Like the others, Tampa Bay picked him up for nothing over the summer. On a stacked team in a stacked AHL, Gauthier has not yet been able to have a major impact but he still has plenty of time.

For many years, the Lightning's amateur procurement department was a disaster. Before the Stamkos selection in 2008, the team's last really successful draft was 1998; they've been through multiple owners, general managers, and scouting chiefs since then. The most recent iteration of the club's front office appears to have things back on track: Corey Pronman ranked the team as having the league's seventh-best group of prospects over the summer, and as we've seen the club has been aggressive in procurement areas outside the draft. Their AHL affiliate not only seems to be doing a good job developing prospects but has been phenomenally successful in the "wins" column, too.

Reasons for optimism go beyond the level of talent in the system or the success of the farm club, however. The team's management has shown a willingness to do smart, unconventional things. Eventually, that's the sort of thing that should pay off at the NHL level.
cheers
Hoss
CC Rookie

Post by Hoss »

Found the Wisconsin vs. Denver game on cable last night, caught the last two periods. Not a whole lot of action - would've made a Jacques Lemaire or Ken Hitchcock proud.

Joe LaBate did collect an assist on the only Badgers goal though - pass back to the point off a faceoff win, shot on goal by Ramage deflected in by Mersch (who incidentally has 9 of the 19 goals scored by UW this year).
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

AHL

Peoria 1 Chicago 3
Climie 24 saves on 25 shots

Miller, (2) (Desbiens, Hunt)
Davies, (2) (Ebbett, Blain)
Archibald, (2) (Longpre, Matheson)

ECHL

Kalamazoo 2 Evansville 3
Anthony 0 points, -1
Polasek 0 points, even
Rai did not play
Schneider 0 points, -1

NCAA

Clarkson 4 Colgate 5 (OT)
Price 0 points, -2

Brown 3 Yale 4
Beattie did not play

Boston University 2 Boston College 5
Myron 0 points, even

Vermont 2 Maine 2 (OT)
Hutton 1 goal, +1

Wisconsin 3 Denver 1
Labate 0 points, +1

OHL

Kitchener 5 Plymouth 4 (SO)
McEneny 1 assist, even

Kingston 3 Belleville 1
Gaunce 1 goal (8th), even

S_C
Last edited by Southern_Canuck on Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's a great day for hockey!
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Southern_Canuck wrote:AHL

Peoria 1 Chicago 2 (in the 3rd)
Climie 17 saves on 18 shots

Miller, (2) (Desbiens, Hunt)
Davies, (2) (Ebbett, Blain)

S_C
Twitter is telling me Kassian and Schroeder are healthy scratches

EDIT --

2. PEO Nesbitt, (6) (Peluso, Hensick), 3:15
2. CHI Miller, (2) (Desbiens, Hunt), 10:26
2. CHI Davies, (2) (Ebbett, Blain), 12:53
3. CHI Archibald, (2) (Longpre, Matheson), 16:32
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Benjo wrote:Twitter is telling me Kassian and Schroeder are healthy scratches
Connauton and Sauve too. The lineup changes from Friday to Saturday were:

Out:
Sauve, Connauton
Schroeder, Kassian, Haydar

In:
Hunt, Miskovic
Davies, Friesen, Sterling

Haydar has already had to be scratched several times as they rotate the 6 veterans to accomodate the 5-veteran rule... but the others were flat out benched. It should be interesting to see whether there is a response the next time they get in the lineup.

S_C
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Funny how some of the biggest prospects of the system were benched, even though Kassian and Schroeder were producing. I can see Connauton and Sauvé though.

Wonder what's behind it? Are there issues with those players and the coach? Odd idea, but I wonder if it was a message to the rest of the team vice those players?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

All not well with the CanuckFutures? Gillis, the self hype machine on how unblemished his track record is at drafting and developing and evaluating talent, needs to take a long look in the mirror beyond the arrogant ego and see that he is a chump in this area of NHL team GM'ing
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Lancer wrote:Funny how some of the biggest prospects of the system were benched, even though Kassian and Schroeder were producing. I can see Connauton and Sauvé though.

Wonder what's behind it? Are there issues with those players and the coach? Odd idea, but I wonder if it was a message to the rest of the team vice those players?

I believe the Coach is in a very difficult position carrying such a large roster. He has to try and keep all the players happy and in game condition
cheers
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Fred wrote:
Lancer wrote:Funny how some of the biggest prospects of the system were benched, even though Kassian and Schroeder were producing. I can see Connauton and Sauvé though.

I believe the Coach is in a very difficult position carrying such a large roster. He has to try and keep all the players happy and in game condition
It was the second game of a back to back and they'd lost 4 in a row, the most recent a late game collapse in the last minute.
It was a convenient time to send a message, bring in some fresh troops and give guys a rest all in one move. It proved successful and if the guys benched respond with more inspired play next game, good job coach.
I'm not about to condemn them all to eternal scorn for a slump just quite yet...

Edit: I'm not saying you or Lancer are the ones doing the condemning btw
If you need air...call it in
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

That sounds very plausible. A coach cannot afford to do nothing under those circumstances.
cheers
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

^^^Both Haydar and Schroeder were guilty of careless offsides in the friday game, Kassian and Sweatt looked lazy on a few board/possession battles, and Connauton iced the puck when he didn't need to - leading to a Milwaukee comeback goal off of a faceoff.

Sunday Dec 2

QMJHL

Cape Breton 3 PEI 4 (SO)
Honzik was the back-up (Trudeau 35 saves on 38 shots, and 0 saves on 2 shots in the SO)

OHL

Erie 1 Sudbury 2
Corrado 0 points, even

S_C
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Southern_Canuck wrote:^^^Both Haydar and Schroeder were guilty of careless offsides in the friday game, Kassian and Sweatt looked lazy on a few board/possession battles, and Connauton iced the puck when he didn't need to - leading to a Milwaukee comeback goal off of a faceoff.
Uncle dans leg wrote:Edit: I'm not saying you or Lancer are the ones doing the condemning btw
Thanks. I throw enough people under the bus as it is. :lol:

Yeah, slumps will happen, just like cruddy scheduling. Judging from what you guys said, I agree that Arniel was likely trying to kill a couple of birds with one stone. If their play in the last game warranted it, then it sends a message to the whole team - it doesn't matter who you are, ship-up or be a spectator. On the one hand, the top prospects know they're not immune and the rest of the team knows he will hold people accountable.

Can't argue with the result on the scoresheet. Let's see what happens against Grand Rapids.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.