Prospects Thread 2012-13

Talk about your favorite prospects and the happenings of the Canucks AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Canucks.

Moderator: Referees

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Prospects Thread 2012-13

Post by rats19 »

Lancer wrote:
Southern_Canuck wrote:Kassian is not a big-body, hard forechecker, pest/fighter kind of player - he is a high skill, playmaking winger with size kind of player.
Considering his junior career, I would say he still has that big-body, hard forechecker tollset in his toolbox and he can and should bring that out in his game. That said, it could be a case of what he's been told by Canuck management going into the season or he's working on his game while trying not to get hurt (not the best idea, but I can understand it).

Given what I've read, seen and heard so far this season, if he turns into a poor-man's version of Big Bert - can hit and fight when he needs to but can contribute more offensively - I would be happy.

But I guess the Dude's not happy unless Kassian is beating somebody bloody on a nightly basis while potting 2 pts a game. Yeah, Kassian's a total bum. Waste of cap space. Gillis is a retard. Can't draft worth shit. Can't develop worth shit. Worst GM in hockey history. The Canucks have no hope this season or any season with Gillis at the helm.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, puke, rinse, repeat. :roll:
das ees 8-) humerous
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Lancer wrote:
Southern_Canuck wrote:Kassian is not a big-body, hard forechecker, pest/fighter kind of player - he is a high skill, playmaking winger with size kind of player.
Considering his junior career, I would say he still has that big-body, hard forechecker tollset in his toolbox and he can and should bring that out in his game. That said, it could be a case of what he's been told by Canuck management going into the season or he's working on his game while trying not to get hurt (not the best idea, but I can understand it).

Given what I've read, seen and heard so far this season, if he turns into a poor-man's version of Big Bert - can hit and fight when he needs to but can contribute more offensively - I would be happy.
Earlier in the season, Kassian laid out a few big hits, but more recently he hasn't been playing as physical - but I agree that he is not incapable.

I'd love to see him piece it all together and become the next Clark Gillies.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Wednesday Nov 21

QMJHL

Moncton 4 Cape Breton 2
Honzik was not dressed (Trudeau 26 saves on 29 shots)

S_C
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Honzik was a garbage pick. One would think MG was fucking partying with the dude at the Astoria on a four day bender when he showed up at the draft table in 2011. I like the Jensen pick, Corrado looks good and Labate seems like he may amount to at least an AHL player, but Honzig????? Ludwig Blomstrand ??? Alex Grenier ??? Horrible picks inside the top 120 MG.... time to turf a few scouts and maybe hire one or two for the WHL . Do we even have a WHL scout or do we give Punch Mclean a call once a year and ask him who looks good. I do not understand why the Canucks have completely ignored their own back yard since Fat Quinn left.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Honzik was a garbage pick. One would think MG was fucking partying with the dude at the Astoria on a four day bender when he showed up at the draft table in 2011. I like the Jensen pick, Corrado looks good and Labate seems like he may amount to at least an AHL player, but Honzig????? Ludwig Blomstrand ??? Alex Grenier ??? Horrible picks inside the top 120 MG.... time to turf a few scouts and maybe hire one or two for the WHL . Do we even have a WHL scout or do we give Punch Mclean a call once a year and ask him who looks good. I do not understand why the Canucks have completely ignored their own back yard since Fat Quinn left.
Ill always wonder if it would make any difference if the Canucks had made it a priority to draft homies since day one. I know it's dumb to make that a first priority but shit, sometimes it seems for the Canucks being from BC is like having the plague.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ukcanuck wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Honzik was a garbage pick. One would think MG was fucking partying with the dude at the Astoria on a four day bender when he showed up at the draft table in 2011. I like the Jensen pick, Corrado looks good and Labate seems like he may amount to at least an AHL player, but Honzig????? Ludwig Blomstrand ??? Alex Grenier ??? Horrible picks inside the top 120 MG.... time to turf a few scouts and maybe hire one or two for the WHL . Do we even have a WHL scout or do we give Punch Mclean a call once a year and ask him who looks good. I do not understand why the Canucks have completely ignored their own back yard since Fat Quinn left.
Ill always wonder if it would make any difference if the Canucks had made it a priority to draft homies since day one. I know it's dumb to make that a first priority but shit, sometimes it seems for the Canucks being from BC is like having the plague.

Thing is through the 70's and 80's and even the 90's they drafted some good players from Western Canada and brought back other kids from BC and Alberta who did well here.

Smyl, Snepsts, Fraser, Hanlon, Neely , Derlago, Ashton, Linden in the draft......guys like , Rota, Mcilhargey, Ronning, Courtnall, Morrison, Adams brought over in trades. I'm sure I could name quite a few more but really that list alone trumps anything they have pulled out of the OHL and certainly the Q.

I don't get the lack of respect for the WHL over the last decade.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Just take a look at the beauties that went right after Schroeder. I'm sorry people at 5'9" Ricky needs to start playing lights out if he is gonna have a hope in hell of making it in the bigs.

Gillis sucks at trading and drafting, bottom line.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Thursday Nov 22

ECHL

Kalamazoo 3 Fort Wayne 4
Anthony 1 assist, -1
Archibald 0 points, even
Cannata 31 saves on 35 shots
Polasek 1 goal (2nd), even
Rai did not play

OHL

Belleville 4 Erie 3 (SO)
Gaunce 1 goal (7th), even (did not shoot in the shootout)

S_C
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Friday Nov 23

AHL

Chicago 3 Grand Rapids 4
Lack 25 saves on 29 shots

Matheson, (3) (Kassian)
Tanev, (2) (Matheson, Ebbett)
Rodin, (1) (Sterling, Longpre)

ECHL

Fort Wayne 2 Kalamazoo 5
Anthony 0 points, even
Archibald 1 assist, +1
Cannata was the back-up
Polasek 0 points, +1
Rai did not play

NCAA

Colgate 1 Merrimack 1 (OT)
Price 0 points, even

Yale 2 Denver 1
Beattie 0 points, even

Minnesota State 4 Wisconsin 2
Labate 0 points, -2

QMJHL

Cape Breton 2 Halifax 4
Honzik was the back-up (Trudeau 33 saves on 37 shots)

OHL

Sarnia 0 Kitchener 5
McEneney 1 goal (2nd), +1

Belleville 1 Niagara 4
Gaunce 0 points, -1

Sault Ste. Marie 5 Sudbury 4
Corrado 1 goal (2nd), -2

S_C
Last edited by Southern_Canuck on Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

That's a nasty losing streak they're on right now in Chicago. Wonder what's up with that. Bad luck, fairy dust wore off their season start, or what.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Lancer wrote:That's a nasty losing streak they're on right now in Chicago. Wonder what's up with that. Bad luck, fairy dust wore off their season start, or what.
I'm not going to post my ideas as to why this might be happening Lancer with fear that I might be repeating myself
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Lancer wrote:That's a nasty losing streak they're on right now in Chicago. Wonder what's up with that. Bad luck, fairy dust wore off their season start, or what.
Well they actually beat Milwaukee on Tuesday - but yeah, they are 2-4-1 in their last 7, so I get where you are coming from.

S_C
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

As bad as the Wolves are scuffling right now they are only two points behind the Barons.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Saturday Nov 24

AHL

Milwaukee 4 Chicago 3 (SO)
Lack 29 saves on 32 shots

Hunt, (1) (Kassian, Haydar) (PP)
Schroeder, (6) (Gordon, Pinizzotto)
Kassian, (5) (Haydar, Ebbett)

Shootout:
Schroeder stopped
Latta shoots but glove save by Lack
Sterling missed backhand
Watson scores five-hole
Haydar missed the net
Ekholm stopped
Kassian shoots and scores!
Bourque missed the net
Sweatt dekes and misses the net
Mueller stopped by Lack
Rodin stopped with a glove save
Blum scores

NCAA

Minnesota State 4 Wisconsin 2
Labate 0 points, even

St. Lawrence 0 Boston University 4
Myron 0 points, +1

Yale 6 Colorado College 5 (OT)
Beattie 0 points, -1

QMJHL

Cape Breton 1 Saint John 4
Honzik 20 saves on 24 shots

OHL

Kitchener 4 Erie 2
McEneny 0 points, even

Sudbury 5 Niagara 6 (SO)
Corrado 0 points, even

S_C
Last edited by Southern_Canuck on Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Southern_Canuck wrote:Saturday Nov 24

AHL

Milwaukee 4 Chicago 3 (SO)
Lack 29 saves on 32 shots

Hunt, (1) (Kassian, Haydar) (PP)
Schroeder, (6) (Gordon, Pinizzotto)
Kassian, (5) (Haydar, Ebbett)

Shootout:
Schroeder stopped
Latta shoots but glove save by Lack
Sterling missed backhand
Watson scores five-hole
Haydar missed the net
Ekholm stopped
Kassian shoots and scores!
Bourque missed the net
Sweatt dekes and misses the net
Mueller stopped by Lack
Rodin stopped with a glove save
Blum scores

S_C
Pretty entertaining game by the Wolves. I've watched almost all the games this year online and here are my thoughts so far...

Kassian really does have excellent hands and I think those who are quick to rubbish him based on his performance until now will be eating crow in a couple of years.

Schroeder is starting to show me a much higher level of skill than I had previously given him credit for. I can see him being able to make it in the bigs. He seems to create space where there doesn't appear to be any and is quite adept at hanging onto the puck under pressure. Might overcome his size issues and turn out to be a gem.

Tanev is rounding into an excellent defensive player. I am particularly impressed with how he controls the pace of play. He is heads and tales above any other defencemen I've seen at the AHL level with his poise.

Lack was pretty ordinary. He gave up some weak ones but does have a good glove. I don't see the same quality of prospect as Schneider was at the same point in their development.

Connauton more or less invisible(suprisingly). I've seen him play much better earlier this year but seems to be regressing and his offensive stats are reflective of this. He needs to be much more consistent to take the next step.

Sauve down right aweful. He makes Dana Murzyn look like Brian Orser. He coughs up the puck, gets bumped off the puck waaay to easy for a guy his size.
If you need air...call it in