Prospects Thread 2012-13

Talk about your favorite prospects and the happenings of the Canucks AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Canucks.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Prospects Thread 2012-13

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: The 2009 draft outside of JS in the 1st round isn't that bad Captain 20-20. I have always advocated for drafting goalies and small skilled forwards in the later rounds. Schroeder is a Brendan Gallagher/ Jon Gaudreau type.....roll the dice on those guys in the 4th or 5th round , not the fucking first.
Trust me, Blob. Rodin and Connauton ain't coming anywhere near close to the Big League. I'm glad we agree on Schroeder. The guy picked right after by Washington is good pro already. The perfect 3rd line centre we are missing. Schroeder will never make the grade. His play and numbers just don't equate, at his size he needs to start being extra special out there and he is far from that. The jury is still out on Price, Anderson and Cannata. There were a lot of good players that went between Schroeder and Rodin, ie O'Reilly, Despres, Johansson, Clifford, Silfverberg etc. That Schroeder was a bad pick, no excuses.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

aint hindsight great. Wonder why they call it 'hind' sight?
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

damonberryman wrote:aint hindsight great. Wonder why they call it 'hind' sight?
Sure is, it's easy a couple of years later saying we should do this or that or as some would want only bring in ready made stars...at half price mind you You wanna be a scout you have to recognize them when they're just kids. Afterwards any idiot can do it.

I'm not over enamoured with the Pro Scout because frankly they have a large body of work for any player that's already in the league. But the amateur scouts I don't really think they do a bad job, sure they've picked some poor picks but so do most teams.

Detroit which is always raised as a good drafting team took Kindl in 2005 first round and he still has yet to make an impact, his best position is in the press box many nights. Brendan Smith has still to establish himself yet after being taken 2007 first round. Then look at their picks after the first round just chock a block with great players. In 1999 when they took Zettersberg the players they selected before him are the following household names Tolas, Maximenko & McDonnell.

I'm not knocking Detroit but pointing out every team basically has the same problem a few good players and a whole lot destined for minor leagues

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/draftstats. ... DET&supl=N

on average 48 players go from the draft to the NHL each year ( 60% first rounders and 15% of the remaining 7 rounds ) that's not a lot of players split between 30 teams.
cheers
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Fred, Nyquvist would be the best prospect in our system. He is 15th overall in scoring in the AHL. Just slayin' it. Also, Tatar and Ferraro have more points in the AHL than our top prospects :oops: - Schroeder and Kassian. Brenden Smith is a great defensive prospect, bro. Better than anything we got, Corrado maybe but the Pizano needs to show what he can do the AHL. Smith is putting up good numbers in the AHL. Team Canada also has two Detroit prospects on their roster - Defenseman -Ouellet and Goalie - Peterson. Keep an eye out for Calle Jarnkrok my friend. Detroit picked the Swede in the 2nd round of the 2010 draft (51st overall). Craig Button most recent prospect ranking, ranked him as the 19th best prospect in the NHL. A list that was completely void of any Canuck prospect. To put it in perspective, Calle Jarnkrok is 6th in scoring in the SEL with 10 goals and 20 assists. Niklas Jensen is 46th in the SEL with 12 goals and 4 assists. You know who we picked in the 2nd round of 2010? Woops, what was I thinking, as a result of the Ballard and Bernier trades, we didn't get a pick until the 4th round - Patrick McNally.

On to other things, If Gillis had not of made that lame ass Ballard trade, he simply would not have gone wrong with his 1st round pick that Florida used to pick Howden. Look what was available

25. Howden
26. KUZNETSOV
28. CHARLIE COYLE
29. Emerson Etem
30 Brock Nelson

Kuznetsov is considered the best prospect in the NHL, gets a lot of votes ahead of Yakupov from most scouts. Charlie Coyle is a fantastic prospect as well as Brock Nelson. You wouldn't go wrong with either Etem or Howden. Fucking lame ass trade.

Another massive night for the Oiler prospects. Hall moved up to 6th in scoring in the AHL with a 3 point night. Won't be long until we see him along side Schultz and Eberle in the top 3 positions. I give 3 more games. Schultz, a goal and an assist and a 4 point night for Eberle with another hat trick. I won't even bring up RNH's domination at the WJC's. I still think that Eberle could be the best of the bunch. Then you got Yakupov. :crazy:
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

With all my negativity towards Gillis, I do like Gaunce, Kassian, Corrado and Jensen. He's just made to many fuck ups for my liking that has hurt the future of this team.

Gaunce was voted player of the week in the OHL - http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/arti ... f-the-week
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Jensen is the leading goal scorer on AIK and we have to remember that's a mens league. He's 19 !

I agree MG has made some poor decisions, Ballard ( and lets not forget Oreskovich) ...who knows Booth but I'm willing to be proven wrong, Sturm, Bernier. But as i said there's some good calls as well. I think MG should be scrutinized more, it part of the territory
cheers
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Fred wrote:Jensen is the leading goal scorer on AIK and we have to remember that's a mens league. He's 19 !

I agree MG has made some poor decisions, Ballard ( and lets not forget Oreskovich) ...who knows Booth but I'm willing to be proven wrong, Sturm, Bernier. But as i said there's some good calls as well. I think MG should be scrutinized more, it part of the territory
No offense to Jensen, but Jarnkrok is a better prospect. He put up great numbers last year in the SEL and seems like he is on pace to bettering that this year, being 6th in the league in scoring.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

RoyalDude wrote:No offense to Jensen, but Jarnkrok is a better prospect. He put up great numbers last year in the SEL and seems like he is on pace to bettering that this year, being 6th in the league in scoring.

Problem is he's the same size as Schroeder, make a good jockey :lol: :lol: 165lbs
cheers
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Fred wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:No offense to Jensen, but Jarnkrok is a better prospect. He put up great numbers last year in the SEL and seems like he is on pace to bettering that this year, being 6th in the league in scoring.

Problem is he's the same size as Schroeder, make a good jockey :lol: :lol: 165lbs
Fred, his current most up to date size is 5'11, 176 lbs. Where in that do you get a pint sized Schroeder? The bottom line is, Fred, you are wrong regarding Detroits recent drafting. It's been better than ours.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Sorry I just don't believe that. If you study there picks you'll see for every lucky late pick proceeded by 5 terrible picks made ahead of the lucky ones. No one wastes picks like Detroit did. If the lucky picks were so sure fire star players they don't leave them and allow every other team take a swing at them. Look at their draft in 1994 they took Tomas Holstrum in the 10th round the 9 picks before him I don't believe one played in the NHL!!! In 1989 they took Lidstrom in the third round but took Sillinger and Boughner in rounds 1 & 2 both destined for the HHOF. Look at the names of the no name players Detroit has drafted. Plus if they were so good how come with the same scouts they're now drawing a blanks. We'll have to disagree on this. Actually read the names of the picks it's like a who's who of poor drafting. Who ever their PR guy is did a great job.

I got Jarnkrok info i believe from your favourite site Hockey Futures :lol: Naw I actually got it from THe current Morning report

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... pid=127561
cheers
mpp
CC Veteran

Post by mpp »

Alexandre Grenier is leaving EC Salzburg, probably for the AHL gig.

http://www.redbull.com/cs/Satellite/de_ ... 3299824836

Mind you, this official article is somehow not linked to the EC Salzburg's homepage, but it's hard to believe someone would bother to make up a story about Grenier leaving.

I wonder if AG wanted to leave or the club ditched him (13 pts in 25 games is not bad, so I doubt that). Might the Canucks want him back in America because NHL season is about to start and the Wolves need some new bodies? ;) We'll never know. The fact is, Brassard, Enstrom, Dorsett and Clarkson all left Red Bull quickly, so either Pierre Page is a psycho or there is something very wrong with the management. Might be good for Grenier to come back, especially if NHL were to start and AHL roster spots were to open.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

It's tough to get a read on AG. I watched him for a few games with Halifax in the Q. I never saw any skills that seperated him from others. I know he's a late addition to the Junior ranks and I suppose is a true late bloomer. Seemed like a good move to send him to EU, because he may have a tough time in the AHL. ?
cheers
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Been away... catching up in the Q:

Dec 28

Halifax 4 Cape Breton 1
Honzik was the backup (Trudeau 24 saves on 27 shots)

Dec 29

Cape Breton 1 Halifax 4
Honzik 33 saves on 36 shots

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Catching up in the OHL:

Dec 28

Barrie 4 Kitchener 1
McEneny 0 points, -2

Niagara 4 Sudbury 3 (OT)
Corrado 0 points, even

Belleville 6 Guelph 3
Gaunce 1 goal (11th), 2 assists, +2 (selected as 1st star)

Dec 29

Kitchener 2 Belleville 3
McEneny 0 points, -1
Gaunce 1 goal (12th), 1 assist, +1 (selected 1st star)

Dec 30

Sault Ste Marie 1 Sudbury 4
Corrado 0 points, even

Dec 31

Sudbury 4 Barrie 1
Corrado 0 points, +3

Jan 1

Peterborough 4 Belleville 3 (SO)
Gaunce 1 goal (13th), -1 (did not score on his shootout attempt)

Jan 2

Kitchener 3 Owen Sound 1
McEneny 1 assist, +1

Jan 3

Belleville 0 Peterborough 3
Gaunce 0 points, -1

As was noted earlier in the thread, Gaunce was selected as OHL Player of the Week on Dec 31

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!