Prospects Thread 2012-13

Talk about your favorite prospects and the happenings of the Canucks AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Canucks.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Prospects Thread 2012-13

Post by Chef Boi RD »

CFP! wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
I guess the real question is, how many of Mike Gillis draft picks, outside of Hodgson, played in the WJC's? He's been to the draft table 5 times now.

Dude, your reputation superceeds you.

Go home, get another schtick.
It's just a question
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Craig Button's Top 30 Prospect List. The Oilers have two defenseman on the list, 1 and 18, Schultz and Klefbom. The Canucks have zero prospects on the list. http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9601
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:
I guess the real question is, how many of Mike Gillis draft picks, outside of Hodgson, played in the WJC's? He's been to the draft table 5 times now.
There are four players Mike Gillis drafted outside of Hodgson that played in the WJC ( Schroeder, Andersson, Rodin, Jensen). Considering it's pretty much universal that Corrado just got jobbed out out of a spot on the team, that would give Gillis 6 players in five years who have played in the tournament.

When you factor in where the Canucks have drafted and how many picks they have had in that timespan it isn't that bad.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:Craig Button's Top 30 Prospect List. The Oilers have two defenseman on the list, 1 and 18, Schultz and Klefbom. The Canucks have zero prospects on the list. http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9601
That list is hard to take seriously when Ryan Murray is rated below guys like Gaudreau and Klefbom. Murray is at worst top 8.

The Oilers should have good prospects consiering they trade all their ufa at the deadline to stockpile picks. That and the fact they finish last every year. Even if there is a season the Oilers won't make the playoffs with that d and black hole down the middle. Not to mention their goalie would be a backup on most teams.

I think the Oilers may make the playoffs one time in the Obama administration if the stars align and teams like the Canucks and Wild suffer a shitload of injuries. When was the last time they made the dance ? I'm pretty sure we had a 62 cent dollar at the time. Oh and the Canucks completely crapped the bed THAT year too just so the Oilers could squeak in.

Debating with you is like shooting fish in a barrel.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Debating with you is like shooting fish in a barrel.
...with a Bushmaster and a 30 round clip.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Aaronp18 wrote:
He sure makes it easy with his trolling though, doesn't he AP ??

The fact that Jensen with 12 goals in 30 games in a high end league doesn't make the grade is a fucking farce. To me when I look over that 11 draft again i would probably take him 11th or 12th and Gillis stole him at 29th. he is certainly a better prospect than either Gaudreau or Klefbom.

Considering the ten game threshold one wonders where Chris Tanev hadn't been fastracked to the NHL because of injuries might place. Or if the Sabres hadn't forcefed Zack Kassian NHL icetime where would he be ? Our friend Pacific Blue prefers to drink the semen of his fellow Sicilian Tambellini who has managed three last place finishes in a row. Great GM there. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Wednesday Dec 19

AHL

Abbotsford 0 Chicago 1
Climie 27 saves on 27 shots

Haydar, (3) (Schroeder, Longpre)

After losing momentum in the 2nd, the Wolves came out with a better shutdown 3rd period, including a strong performance by Kassian (with Ebbett and Sterling) who racked 4 shots on net to bring his game total to 8 shots.

4th win in a row for the Wolves.

S_C
Last edited by Southern_Canuck on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's a great day for hockey!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Southern_Canuck wrote:Wednesday Dec 19

AHL

Abbotsford 0 Chicago 1
Climie 27 saves on 27 shots

Haydar, (3) (Schroeder, Longpre)

After losing momentum in the 2nd, the Wolves came out with a better shutdown 3rd period, including a strong performance by Kassian (with Ebbett and Sterling) who racked 4 shots on net to bring his game total to 8 shots.

S_C
I don't care how many shots Zack 'Jim Sandlak' Kassian got off, I want to see GOALS!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:
He sure makes it easy with his trolling though, doesn't he AP ??

The fact that Jensen with 12 goals in 30 games in a high end league doesn't make the grade is a fucking farce. To me when I look over that 11 draft again i would probably take him 11th or 12th and Gillis stole him at 29th. he is certainly a better prospect than either Gaudreau or Klefbom.

Considering the ten game threshold one wonders where Chris Tanev hadn't been fastracked to the NHL because of injuries might place. Or if the Sabres hadn't forcefed Zack Kassian NHL icetime where would he be ? Our friend Pacific Blue prefers to drink the semen of his fellow Sicilian Tambellini who has managed three last place finishes in a row. Great GM there. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
If it makes you feel better Barnett Inn. I think that list is a travesty as well. However, I still think the Gillis MGMT team absolutely blows Charlton Heston's dead nuts when it comes to drafting. I like Jensen, Kassian, Gaunce, Corrado, Lack, Tanev, but those guys are not star power and to a lesser extent I like Price, McNally and Labate, but these 3 are long shots.The rest of the prospects can go for all I care. I was liking the Mallet pick as well, but it's now looking like they could have picked some better players instead.

You want to see good drafting, look at what Buffalo's done over the last decade in all rounds of the draft. Thats Impressive. What's not impressive is that Brayden McNabb they picked with our draft pick Gillis gave up for Bernier is looking like a beaut.

Ain't no excuse for Gillis poor drafting, the stats show that many a good players are still found late in the 1st round and rounds after
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Buffalo has also made the playoffs exactly 4 years out of the last ten and have had far higher picks than Vancouver. They have also dealt rental players like Gaustad at the deadline to stockpile extra picks because they are so fucking far out of it every year they can afford to give up all their pending ufa.

Vancouver has made the post season 8 out of 10 seasons and in the two years they missed the playoffs it was because they melted down in the last week of the season , mostly due to injuries. The Canucks have not been sellers at the deadline since they dumped Alex Mogilny in 99. They haven't had the luxury of dealing potential ufa for prospects and picks at the deadline unlike the Oilers, Sabres or whatever team you want to talk about.

Carry on though..... this is getting easier and easier.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Buffalo has also made the playoffs exactly 4 years out of the last ten and have had far higher picks than Vancouver. They have also dealt rental players like Gaustad at the deadline to stockpile extra picks because they are so fucking far out of it every year they can afford to give up all their pending ufa.

Vancouver has made the post season 8 out of 10 seasons and in the two years they missed the playoffs it was because they melted down in the last week of the season , mostly due to injuries. The Canucks have not been sellers at the deadline since they dumped Alex Mogilny in 99. They haven't had the luxury of dealing potential ufa for prospects and picks at the deadline unlike the Oilers, Sabres or whatever team you want to talk about.

Carry on though..... this is getting easier and easier.

Listen Wild Duck Inn, lets just talk about drafting in general, the players they pick and the busts they end up becoming, for the most part. This is how Gillis rolls. The record shows, that Gillis cannot draft to save his life.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

You sure know your dive bars. I'll give that to you.

Though I hear you only made it to the curb of the Cambie on a drive by.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Our best chnace of getting a quality player in the draft is if the entire season is lost and we go to a lottery for next years draft :roll:
cheers
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

jesus dude. What is your fucking problem. This is a fan site, not a wanna be GM site. We havce drafted last or near last for some time yet we keep winning. If you like the Oil so much go write the endlesss crap about Gillis somewhere else RD.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I can understand RD point that we don't have an all star cast of prospects coming along, he's probably right but to lay every thing on MG is the wrong conclusion. Maybe he should be thinking despite the fact that we get a lousy position in the draft for a long time we have still managed to remain a top contending team ( I believe MG Team 1040 mentioned the Canucks have had more success in the play-offs of any team during his time as GM ) Plus he has managed with great effect, to find a few FA to supplement the teams drafts. One of the interesting things to happen IMO is Gillis is changing direction based on what is happening in the game. He may not have an array of super skill but the Canucks are going to be a big team in the future and can maybe win without the skill and more muscle. Man he's drafted a lot of big big players we just need one more, Nick Bjugstad for Luongo
Last edited by Fred on Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers