Prospects Thread 2012-13

Talk about your favorite prospects and the happenings of the Canucks AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Canucks.

Moderator: Referees

CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Prospects Thread 2012-13

Post by CFP! »

Aaronp18 wrote:Couldn't he play like BCHL (or the equivalent) for the remainder of the year? Or is he too old?

There's gotta be somewhere the guy can play. I don't think anyone wants him to sit the rest of the year without playing hockey.
Almost certain 20 is the oldest you can be for the BCHL.

Being 21, he would have to sit out, or try to play pro (AHL/ECHL). With the lockout, I dont know where he would fit even if there was room with the Wolves.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Surely Gillis can find a roster spot for him if he wanted to. I didn't realize he was this promising(this season aside I suppose) and if possible, getting him on the Wolves would be a priority if he is willing.

You wonder about the difficult decision to forfeit what could amount to significant earning years in the NHL to get your degree. I know education is important and all that but he could possibly be giving up a few years of 7 figure earnings to obtain that degree. As a 21 year old, choosing the path of higher learning over Lambos' and 30 ft cigar boats must be incredibly tough.

I would think that going back after hockey and completing the degree would look to be a definite consideration if you have a shot at an NHL paycheque.

Edit: Just thought of something...if he's taking the "athlete credit courses" and having to cheat, this would mean he's either choosing easy credits/doing the bare minimum to get through his degree or else trying to stay on with Harvard to take advantage of a good program in his sport. Seeing as where he is isn't generally considered to be the best path to the NHL, I'd have to hypothesize he's doing as daddy tells him.
Now he's withdrawn and assuming his suspension doesn't get overturned, I would say there's a good chance he tries to get into a more proven development program like the ECHL or AHL.
Ha! Is that reaching or what?!?!
If you need air...call it in
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Edit: Just thought of something...if he's taking the "athlete credit courses" and having to cheat, this would mean he's either choosing easy credits/doing the bare minimum to get through his degree or else trying to stay on with Harvard to take advantage of a good program in his sport. Seeing as where he is isn't generally considered to be the best path to the NHL, I'd have to hypothesize he's doing as daddy tells him.
Now he's withdrawn and assuming his suspension doesn't get overturned, I would say there's a good chance he tries to get into a more proven development program like the ECHL or AHL.
Ha! Is that reaching or what?!?!
Attending University as an athlete is incredibly difficult. Most if not all the teams have the following regimen. On the ice for 1.5 hours/ day plus a further 1.5 every day in the gym ( they are allowed to practise these kids 6 days a week ). And they ain't exactly minor hockey type practises, maybe more gruelling than NHL Practises and the gym work I've watched are simply assaults on the body and on it's endurance. Very very tough. Now combine that with attending one of the most academically prestigious universities in NA. Frankly I don't know how they do it. I have nothing but admiration for the players that follow this route. As a comparison many CHL players don't even graduate from High School.

In earlier interviews I know his parents have spoke how important education is and I can't say I blame them advising their son to complete his education. The chance of making it big for any junior hockey player is slim, It's a slim chance to be selected by a NCAA school and an even slimmer chance to make it to the NHL. I hope he and his family can sort it out, I suspect his chance of having a decent GPA are all but gone. I don't know what it was a bout or how serious it was. In one article it was suggested that it was a take home exam
cheers
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Tuesday Dec 11

NCAA

Massachusetts 2 Yale 4
Beattie did not play

QMJHL

Cape Breton 1 Saint John 3
Honzik 26 saves on 28 shots (0.929)

S_C
Last edited by Southern_Canuck on Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's a great day for hockey!
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

The Red-White Canada U20 Junior game/scrimmage is on for free starting at 6pm PST:

You have to sign up but it is free

Corrado is wearing #12 on team Red, and apparently will be paired with Wotherspoon (Calgary #57 overall in 2011) on the team that includes the #1 line of Huberdeau/Nugent-Hopkins/Schiefle

S_C
Last edited by Southern_Canuck on Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Southern_Canuck wrote:The Red-White Canada U20 Junior game/scrimmage is on for free starting at 7pm PST:

You have to sign up but it is free

Corrado is wearing #12, and apparently will be paired with Reilly (Toronto #5 overall in 2012)

S_C
Thx for the link SC! It's on right now for those who can't wait like me...scoreless after 1 period
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Corrado scores the go ahead goal from the point late in the scrimmage... 2-1 Red

ENG, and final score is Red 3 White 1.

S_C
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Southern_Canuck wrote:Corrado
S_C
Do you think he makes the team?
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

You have to think he has a good chnace if for nothing else he's a rightie
cheers
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Southern_Canuck wrote:Corrado
S_C
Do you think he makes the team?
My guess? I think he will make the team as at least the 7th D --- I understand they are only naming 7.

Harrington, Hamilton, and Rielly will make it for sure, and depending on Oeullet's injury, he would probably have been selected. Murphy plays for coach Spott in Kitchener, and seems to be favoured as a PP quarterback, so he'll probably make it.
If Ouellet can't play (ankle sprain), I think Corrado easily takes one of the three remaining spots.
If Ouellet can play, I think Corrado is behind Reinhart and even with Pelech and Wotherspoon, but beats out Dumba, Pouliot, and Sproul.

So I'm guessing it's between Corrado, Pelech, and Wotherspoon - Corrado's skating ability and 2-way play might still tip the scales in his favour.

S_C
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Is there any knew info on this McNally bit?

It seems a bit weird he was suspended for working on a exam at home with other students. There has to be more to it than is letting on. When my profs gave us assignments and learned we all worked together, they commended us and told us we would either sink or swim with the efforts. Several student being suspended for one or several of these actions doesn't seem to add up unless I m missing something?

Edit: any teacher would be stupid enough not to think students would collaborate.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

On the Harvard situation, what I read was that students in question (about half the class) were identified to have the exact same punctuation error in their test answers - evidence that suggested plagiarism.

So it is not collaboration alone, but plagiarism that indicated "academic dishonesty".

The class is not being offered this year - it was considered an "easy" class, and was filled with student athletes.

S_C
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Southern_Canuck wrote:On the Harvard situation, what I read was that students in question (about half the class) were identified to have the exact same punctuation error in their test answers - evidence that suggested plagiarism.

So it is not collaboration alone, but plagiarism that indicated "academic dishonesty".

The class is not being offered this year - it was considered an "easy" class, and was filled with student athletes.

S_C
Well, if it was all presumably the same message in the same order with the same punctuation....I get it. You'd think getting into University would indicate you know how to at least write a paper. Bet Dad was thrilled he got canned on a filler class counting toward his grad credits.....oops!
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Southern_Canuck wrote: So I'm guessing it's between Corrado, Pelech, and Wotherspoon - Corrado's skating ability and 2-way play might still tip the scales in his favour.

S_C
Big Frankie has Canada's only goal so far in today's game vs. the Golden Bears.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Of the eight defencemen playing today, Corrado was probably the best - I would say he has probably made this WJC team.

Only 3 (or 4 if Ouellet's ankle keeps him out) will make it - if they based it solely on today's game:

1. Corrado (Vancouver #150 2011) - rarely in trouble, played with confidence
2. Pouliot (Pittsburgh #8 2012) - played pretty much mistake-free alongside Corrado
3. Sproul (Detroit #55 2011) - good at carrying the puck out of the zone, good skater
4. Reinhart (NYI #4 2012) - big but doesn't play particularly physical, good at keeping the puck in the offensive zone
5/6. Pelech (NYI #65 2012)/Wotherspoon (Calgary #57 2011) - didn't really notice
7. Murphy (Carolina #12 2011) - looked nervous, gave up the puck in his own zone numerous times
8. Dumba (Minnesota #7 2012)- had a very bad game, and exposed his poor mobility

*update*

Pelech and Pouliot were cut.

IMO the last three to add to Hamilton (Boston #9 2011), Harrington (Pittsburgh #54 2011), Rielly (Toronto #5 2012), and Ouellet (Detroit #48 2011) will be Reinhart, Corrado, and Sproul. Possibly Murphy might make it instead of Sproul due to his coach's familiarity with him.

S_C
Last edited by Southern_Canuck on Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.