Prospects Thread 2012-13

Talk about your favorite prospects and the happenings of the Canucks AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Canucks.

Moderator: Referees

Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Prospects Thread 2012-13

Post by Southern_Canuck »

RoyalDude wrote:The Canucks got some crazy good prospects, the numbers on those game by game stats are stunning.
It depends on your expectations - the better Canuck prospects (Jensen, Tanev, Kassian, Gaunce, Schroeder, McNally, Lack, Corrado, Connauton) are doing fine, and some of the longer shots (Mallet, Cannata, Price, Hutton, Rodin, Grenier) have had their moments.

Sure, the Canucks don't appear to have a superstar who is going to dominate a junior league, but which prospect would you have expected to do that?

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Southern_Canuck wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:The Canucks got some crazy good prospects, the numbers on those game by game stats are stunning.
It depends on your expectations - the better Canuck prospects (Jensen, Tanev, Kassian, Gaunce, Schroeder, McNally, Lack, Corrado, Connauton) are doing fine, and some of the longer shots (Mallet, Cannata, Price, Hutton, Rodin, Grenier) have had their moments.

Sure, the Canucks don't appear to have a superstar who is going to dominate a junior league, but which prospect would you have expected to do that?

S_C
I respect your passion for the kids in the Canucks system Southern, cheering them on to succeed etc, but I've been a Canucklehead since what the mid 70's and this has to be one of the shallowest prospect pools this organization has seen in a while. Gillis needs to start doing a better job at filling the cupboards and stop giving away draft picks for failed short term fixes.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Tanti09
CC Veteran

Post by Tanti09 »

Yeah I have to say the lack of solid prospects is somewhat concerning right now. Jensen is maybe the one guy I feel semi-excited about at this point as he seems to be holding his own in the SEL, widely regarded as the best pro league outside of the NHL (although a case can be made for the AHL in this lockout year). Kassian needs to be better than 93rd in AHL scoring and given the amount of time Schroeder has played on the farm team, I would expect more from him on the offensive side by now. Maybe it's the "system" the team is playing and everyone is contributing evenly down in Chicago right now, but it would be nice to see a Canuck prospect really shine.

Was surprised to see Justin Schulz at the top of AHL scoring. Granted he's playing with some good players, but still, as a rookie, that's impressive.

We still have a couple of years to stock the cupboard before Sedins start ebbing and we need young guys to take the reins of the Canuck club. Gillis does need to find some gems and hold on to his high picks instead of giving them away for short term gains. Let's see what Lou brings back.
Brick Tamland
CC Veteran

Post by Brick Tamland »

Seems like the young Oilers are still having a problem closing things out, even at the AHL level. Individual stats aside, the team is .500, and haven't won since Nov 2nd.

Who knows, maybe they'll turn it around, but it still seems like they have a lot to learn. Watch out if they learn to play D, but they aren't there yet.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/ahl/2012 ... _night_sn/
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Tanti09 wrote: Kassian needs to be better than 93rd in AHL scoring
Ouch! :oops: :( Gassedian has the worst stamina ever. You get one short burst out of him a shift and the rest he's standing still cause he's spent. Don't know what to make of him.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Saturday Nov 10

ECHL

Fort Wayne 2 Kalamazoo 6
Anthony 1 assist, even
Archibald 1 goal (6), +1
Cannata was the backup
Polasek 1 assist, even
Rai 0 points, -1

NCAA

Rensselaer 0 Harvard 4
McNally 0 points, even

Colgate 0 Princeton 4
Price 0 points, -1

St. Lawrence 2 Yale 4
Beattie 0 points, even

Maine 4 Massachusetts-Lowell 3
Hutton 1 assist, even

QMJHL

Cape Breton 2 Shawinigan 3
Honzik did not play (Bureau 6 saves on 8 shots, Trudeau 11 saves on 12 shots)

OHL

Saginaw 4 Belleville 3 (OT)
Gaunce out with shoulder injury

S_C
Last edited by Southern_Canuck on Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote:
Ouch! :oops: :( Gassedian has the worst stamina ever. You get one short burst out of him a shift and the rest he's standing still cause he's spent. Don't know what to make of him.
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm have you watched him lately.

Last season: NOT in good shape.

This season: IN GREAT SHAPE!

Try to keep up dude, all reports indicate he is presently in "beast mode".

They took a goal way from him the other day they had no business taking away.

That goal woulda made it 5 goals + 24 PIM in 11 games.

The kid is just fine....

BTW hope you read the post above yours about YOUR young Oilers! :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Southern_Canuck wrote:Saturday Nov 10

ECHL

Fort Wayne 2 Kalamazoo 6
Anthony 1 assist, even
Archibald 1 goal (6), +1
Cannata was the backup
Polasek 1 assist, even
Rai 0 points, -1

NCAA

Rensselaer 0 Harvard 4
McNally 0 points, even

Colgate 0 Princeton 4
Price 0 points, -1

St. Lawrence 2 Yale 4
Beattie 0 points, even

Maine 4 Massachusetts-Lowell 3
Hutton 1 assist, even

QMJHL

Cape Breton 2 Shawinigan 3
Honzik did not play (Bureau 6 saves on 8 shots, Trudeau 11 saves on 12 shots)

OHL

Saginaw 4 Belleville 3 (OT)
Gaunce out with shoulder injury

S_C
Looks like another highlight reel of an evening from the Canucks Prospects.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Strangelove wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:

The kid is just fine....

Hey Doc, I'm trying to be upbeat about the likes of Kassian but the two games I've seen him play, he still seems to be standing flat footed, not moving his feet a lot. Sort of what we saw of him up here last year. The guy should be a fucking wrecking ball out there with his size and age, I really question the kids fitness.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: Hey Doc, I'm trying to be upbeat about the likes of Kassian but the two games I've seen him play, he still seems to be standing flat footed, not moving his feet a lot. Sort of what we saw of him up here last year. The guy should be a fucking wrecking ball out there with his size and age, I really question the kids fitness.
Well.... I'll... be honest, I've seen Kassian play ZERO times this season.

But the consensus of folks who have watched EVERY game Kass has played say he is indeed a "wrecking ball out there"

(and that he's in top shape).

But thanks anyway my Canuck-hating Oiler-loving friend! :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: Hey Doc, I'm trying to be upbeat about the likes of Kassian but the two games I've seen him play, he still seems to be standing flat footed, not moving his feet a lot. Sort of what we saw of him up here last year. The guy should be a fucking wrecking ball out there with his size and age, I really question the kids fitness.
Well.... I'll... be honest, I've seen Kassian play ZERO times this season.

But the consensus of folks who have watched EVERY game Kass has played say he is indeed a "wrecking ball out there"

(and that he's in top shape).

But thanks anyway my Canuck-hating Oiler-loving friend! :thumbs:
Whoa there Doc..those Oilers are a juggernaut in the making. Not sure who the 2nd line centre will be (Horcoff maybe :rofl: ), who the other five d -men will be, who will play goal or who will fill out the 3rd and 4th lines but that team is going to be dominant !!!!
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

In non-Oiler news... Sunday Nov 11

NCAA

Boston College 4 Boston University 2
Myron 0 points, even

QMJHL

Cape Breton 4 Quebec 5 (SO)
Honzik was the backup (Trudeau 19 saves on 23 shots)

OHL

Kitchener 2 Oshawa 1
McEneny 1 assist, +1

Sudbury 2 Sarnia 3
Corrado 0 points, even

S_C
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Strangelove wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:

The kid is just fine....

I kinda wish we had gotten power forward Foligno out of the Hodgson trade, instead of Kassian. Foligno is 4th overall in the AHL in scoring.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I love how the armchair GM Toronto fans want to trade us Kadri and Colbourne for Luongo. Kadri is 175th in scoring the AHL and Colbourne is 176th. Career minor leaguers. At least Kassian is better than that at 105.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Any chance we can keep this thread for staying up to date with our prospects (thanks SC) - and not have it filled with comments that fit better on the other threads that we already have?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."