Prospects Thread 2011-12

Talk about your favorite prospects and the happenings of the Canucks AHL affiliate, the Utica Comets.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Prospects Thread 2011-12

Postby BladesofSteel » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:50 am

Southern_Canuck wrote:Wednesday Nov 24

AHL

Chicago 3 Texas 2
Climie 40 saves on 42 shots!

Polasek, (1) (Longpre)
Roussel, (1) (Clackson, Connauton)
Connauton, (6) (Mancari, Haydar) (PP)

S_C

Notes: Polasek with his first pro goal. Connauton, Haydar, and Mancari where an 'A' while there is no Captain yet. Tanev returns to the lineup from injury. Through 16 games, Schroeder has managed 2 goals, 5 points and is a -6 :shock:. Inconsistent start to the Wolves season, but the one constant has been the solid play of both Climie and Lack in net.
The grass is always greener
BladesofSteel
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 832
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:29 pm
Location: Lower left-hand corner

Re: Prospects Thread 2011-12

Postby Potatoe1 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:30 am

Apparently Rodin has been very good the past few games and is now on the second line.

Very encouraging news because his camp was disturbingly poor. I'm guessing there was an injury issue that was not reported.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1613
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: Prospects Thread 2011-12

Postby Fred » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:35 am

I believe Rodin had a serious shoulder problem starting last season in the SEL, let's hope he's past that now and able to show his stuff. I recall MG was going to make Rodin their first pick but couldn't resist Schroeder when he was available, thank heavans we still got him schroeder is not showing a lot.
cheers
Fred
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3433
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: Prospects Thread 2011-12

Postby Potatoe1 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:00 pm

Fred wrote:I recall MG was going to make Rodin their first pick but couldn't resist Schroeder when he was available, thank heavans we still got him schroeder is not showing a lot.


That was part of my Concern at camp.

Rodin was a second round pick that showed up and looked terrible, but he was a pick the Canucks liked so much that he could have been their first rounder.

Improvement in his play not only increases my optimism about the player but also in our managements ability to asses talent.

Your first rounders don't all need to make the league, but they at least need to show something or serious questions need to be asked.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1613
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: Prospects Thread 2011-12

Postby Per » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:49 pm

According to the local paper here his shoulder is perfectly fine now. Right after arriving in North America he had problems with a strep throat though, and the antibiotics wouldn't take, which made him lose a couple of weeks and also messed with his conditioning. He's feeling better now though and feels like he is beginning to hit his stride.

I'm still not sure about Rödin. He has the skills and the talent, and has been phenomenal on the junior level, but he has not overwhelmed me in the SEL. Then again, he struggled with shoulder problems most of last season, and maybe that's why he didn't blow me away. His SEL stats were quite decent, but quite decent may not be enough for the NHL...

Let's hope that the glimpses he has shown recently are the first signs of him actually reaching the potential he showed as a junior. I sincerely hope so, but I'd say the jury is still out. We'll just have to wait and see.
User avatar
Per
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1792
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: Prospects Thread 2011-12

Postby Southern_Canuck » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:21 am

Fred wrote:I believe Rodin had a serious shoulder problem starting last season in the SEL, let's hope he's past that now and able to show his stuff. I recall MG was going to make Rodin their first pick but couldn't resist Schroeder when he was available, thank heavans we still got him schroeder is not showing a lot.


Interestingly enough, 2009 draftees Schroeder and Rodin have found a little chemistry, and are playing together on the Wolves' second line. It should be interesting to see their production over the next few games...

Thursday Nov 24

OHL

Brampton 1 Niagara 6
Friesen 1 goal, 1 assist, +2

GP 19 G 9 A 14 P 23 PIM 29 +4

QMJHL

Cape Breton 1 Halifax 4
Hannay 0 points, +2
Grenier 1 assist, +2

GP 21 G 8 A 13 P 21 PIM 8 +2

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
User avatar
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:27 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Prospects Thread 2011-12

Postby Southern_Canuck » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:27 pm

A couple of NCAA games were played earlier this week

Tuesday Nov 22

New Hampshire 6 Harvard 7
McNally 2 assists, even

Wednesday Nov 23

Alabama-Huntsville 0 Merrimack 6
Cannata 13 saves on 13 shots

8-0-1 GAA 1.32 SV% 0.944 SO 1

Cannata looking pretty good against other Division I goaltenders:

USCHO Statistics

2nd in GAA
2nd in Save Percentage

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
User avatar
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:27 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Prospects Thread 2011-12

Postby Southern_Canuck » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:06 pm

Friday Nov 25

ECHL

Florida 5 Kalamazoo 1
Ellington 0 points, -1
Anthony 0 points, even

NCAA

Colgate 4 Vermont 1
Price 0 points, +2

Minnesota 3 Michigan State 4
Matson 0 points, -2

Harvard 3 Dartmouth 3 (OT)
McNally 0 points, -2

Mercyhurst 2 Wisconsin 7
Labate 0 points, even

QMJHL

PEI 3 Halifax 6
Hannay 0 points, even
Grenier 1 assist, +1

OHL

Niagara 6 Windsor 3
Friesen 2 goals, 1 assist, +2

Owen Sound 3 Sudbury 4 (SO)
Corrado 1 assist, -1

Oshawa 5 Ottawa 3
Jensen 1 goal, +1

WHL

Vancouver 3 Prince Albert 4 (OT)
Tochkin 1 goal, 1 assist, +1 (assisted on OT winner)

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
User avatar
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:27 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Prospects Thread 2011-12

Postby RoyalDude » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:12 am

BladesofSteel wrote: Through 16 games, Schroeder has managed 2 goals, 5 points and is a -6 :shock:. Inconsistent start to the Wolves season,


It's safe to say that Schroeder won't mount to a hill of beans, damn well wish that Gillis had drafted Carter Ashton instead.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4480
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Prospects Thread 2011-12

Postby Southern_Canuck » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:26 pm

RoyalDude wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote: Through 16 games, Schroeder has managed 2 goals, 5 points and is a -6 :shock:. Inconsistent start to the Wolves season,


It's safe to say that Schroeder won't mount to a hill of beans, damn well wish that Gillis had drafted Carter Ashton instead.


Well, he hasn't looked too promising, but the guy just turned 21 - why don't we reserve the bust judgement until he is at least 23 or 24? At one time he was expected to be selected in the top 5 of the 2009 draft!

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
User avatar
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:27 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Prospects Thread 2011-12

Postby Southern_Canuck » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:42 pm

Saturday Nov 26

AHL

Peoria 3 Chicago 5
Lack 21 saves on 24 shots

Longpre, (5) (Connauton, Mancari)
Matheson, (2) (Reinprecht, Baumgartner) (PP)
Miller, (3)
Schroeder, (3) (Reinprecht, Rodin) (PP)
Schroeder, (4) (Rodin, Sweatt) (EN)

Steve Reinprecht's first game as a Wolf. Hmmm, Doell sitting out... Schroeder (and Rodin) still on the 2nd line. Schroeder was awarded a penalty shot in the first, but didn't score... turns out that he could've had a hat trick!

ECHL

Florida 1 Kalamazoo 2 (OT)
Ellington 0 points, even
Anthony 1 assist, even

NCAA

Minnesota 4 Michigan State 4 (OT)
Matson 1 assist, +1

Mercyhurst 2 Wisconsin 5
Labate 1 goal, 1 assist, even

QMJHL

Drummondville 5 Victoriaville 8
Honzik 29 saves on 34 shots

OHL

Niagara 4 Sarnia 2
Friesen 1 assist, +3

Sudbury 6 Barrie 5
Corrado 2 assists, +1

WHL

Calgary 8 Prince Albert 2
Tochkin 1 goal, +1

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
User avatar
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:27 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Prospects Thread 2011-12

Postby Southern_Canuck » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:18 pm

Sunday Nov 27

AHL

Peoria 4 Chicago 0
Climie 27 saves on 31 shots

OK then.

QMJHL

Halifax 3 Moncton 4 (SO)
Hannay 0 points, -1
Grenier 1 goal, 1 assist, even (did not score on his shootout attempt)

OHL

Oshawa 1 Belleville 4
Jensen 0 points, -1

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
User avatar
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:27 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Prospects Thread 2011-12

Postby Fred » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:16 am

I saw this snippet re Corrado Canucks Propspect

As for Corrado, he is having great year in jr and seems like he is improving all the time. He’s already an elite skate and has pretty top end skill, but this year his defensive game is coming around. The kid seems to be a natural leader and I predict he will be at Canada’s camp in the summer and push for a spot on next years team.


The scouts hit a home run with this guy, no wonder they were quick to sign him at the prospects camp.
cheers
Fred
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3433
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: Prospects Thread 2011-12

Postby BladesofSteel » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:04 pm

Fred wrote:I saw this snippet re Corrado Canucks Propspect

As for Corrado, he is having great year in jr and seems like he is improving all the time. He’s already an elite skate and has pretty top end skill, but this year his defensive game is coming around. The kid seems to be a natural leader and I predict he will be at Canada’s camp in the summer and push for a spot on next years team.


The scouts hit a home run with this guy, no wonder they were quick to sign him at the prospects camp.

That's a little premature don't you think?
The grass is always greener
BladesofSteel
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 832
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:29 pm
Location: Lower left-hand corner

Re: Prospects Thread 2011-12

Postby Fred » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:16 pm

BladesofSteel wrote:
Fred wrote:I saw this snippet re Corrado Canucks Propspect

As for Corrado, he is having great year in jr and seems like he is improving all the time. He’s already an elite skate and has pretty top end skill, but this year his defensive game is coming around. The kid seems to be a natural leader and I predict he will be at Canada’s camp in the summer and push for a spot on next years team.


The scouts hit a home run with this guy, no wonder they were quick to sign him at the prospects camp.

That's a little premature don't you think?

Could be, but what I observed was a very mature hockey smart player. It might have been a blip and he might have played crummy after he left the Pros Camp but two things stick in my mind. The Canucks brass signed 2 players at the end of that camp Jensen and Corrado which indicates they see the same. Secondly this report seems to indicate that he's getting better and the author thinks he will make Team Canada camp next summer. Of course he may have peaked...hey who truly knows.
cheers
Fred
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3433
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Comet Trails

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest