Prospects Thread 2011-12

Talk about your favorite prospects and the happenings of the Canucks AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Canucks.

Moderator: Referees

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Prospects Thread 2011-12

Post by BladesofSteel »

Southern_Canuck wrote:Wednesday Nov 24

AHL

Chicago 3 Texas 2
Climie 40 saves on 42 shots!

Polasek, (1) (Longpre)
Roussel, (1) (Clackson, Connauton)
Connauton, (6) (Mancari, Haydar) (PP)

S_C
Notes: Polasek with his first pro goal. Connauton, Haydar, and Mancari where an 'A' while there is no Captain yet. Tanev returns to the lineup from injury. Through 16 games, Schroeder has managed 2 goals, 5 points and is a -6 :shock:. Inconsistent start to the Wolves season, but the one constant has been the solid play of both Climie and Lack in net.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Apparently Rodin has been very good the past few games and is now on the second line.

Very encouraging news because his camp was disturbingly poor. I'm guessing there was an injury issue that was not reported.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I believe Rodin had a serious shoulder problem starting last season in the SEL, let's hope he's past that now and able to show his stuff. I recall MG was going to make Rodin their first pick but couldn't resist Schroeder when he was available, thank heavans we still got him schroeder is not showing a lot.
cheers
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Fred wrote:I recall MG was going to make Rodin their first pick but couldn't resist Schroeder when he was available, thank heavans we still got him schroeder is not showing a lot.
That was part of my Concern at camp.

Rodin was a second round pick that showed up and looked terrible, but he was a pick the Canucks liked so much that he could have been their first rounder.

Improvement in his play not only increases my optimism about the player but also in our managements ability to asses talent.

Your first rounders don't all need to make the league, but they at least need to show something or serious questions need to be asked.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

According to the local paper here his shoulder is perfectly fine now. Right after arriving in North America he had problems with a strep throat though, and the antibiotics wouldn't take, which made him lose a couple of weeks and also messed with his conditioning. He's feeling better now though and feels like he is beginning to hit his stride.

I'm still not sure about Rödin. He has the skills and the talent, and has been phenomenal on the junior level, but he has not overwhelmed me in the SEL. Then again, he struggled with shoulder problems most of last season, and maybe that's why he didn't blow me away. His SEL stats were quite decent, but quite decent may not be enough for the NHL...

Let's hope that the glimpses he has shown recently are the first signs of him actually reaching the potential he showed as a junior. I sincerely hope so, but I'd say the jury is still out. We'll just have to wait and see.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Fred wrote:I believe Rodin had a serious shoulder problem starting last season in the SEL, let's hope he's past that now and able to show his stuff. I recall MG was going to make Rodin their first pick but couldn't resist Schroeder when he was available, thank heavans we still got him schroeder is not showing a lot.
Interestingly enough, 2009 draftees Schroeder and Rodin have found a little chemistry, and are playing together on the Wolves' second line. It should be interesting to see their production over the next few games...

Thursday Nov 24

OHL

Brampton 1 Niagara 6
Friesen 1 goal, 1 assist, +2

GP 19 G 9 A 14 P 23 PIM 29 +4

QMJHL

Cape Breton 1 Halifax 4
Hannay 0 points, +2
Grenier 1 assist, +2

GP 21 G 8 A 13 P 21 PIM 8 +2

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

A couple of NCAA games were played earlier this week

Tuesday Nov 22

New Hampshire 6 Harvard 7
McNally 2 assists, even

Wednesday Nov 23

Alabama-Huntsville 0 Merrimack 6
Cannata 13 saves on 13 shots

8-0-1 GAA 1.32 SV% 0.944 SO 1

Cannata looking pretty good against other Division I goaltenders:

USCHO Statistics

2nd in GAA
2nd in Save Percentage

S_C
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Friday Nov 25

ECHL

Florida 5 Kalamazoo 1
Ellington 0 points, -1
Anthony 0 points, even

NCAA

Colgate 4 Vermont 1
Price 0 points, +2

Minnesota 3 Michigan State 4
Matson 0 points, -2

Harvard 3 Dartmouth 3 (OT)
McNally 0 points, -2

Mercyhurst 2 Wisconsin 7
Labate 0 points, even

QMJHL

PEI 3 Halifax 6
Hannay 0 points, even
Grenier 1 assist, +1

OHL

Niagara 6 Windsor 3
Friesen 2 goals, 1 assist, +2

Owen Sound 3 Sudbury 4 (SO)
Corrado 1 assist, -1

Oshawa 5 Ottawa 3
Jensen 1 goal, +1

WHL

Vancouver 3 Prince Albert 4 (OT)
Tochkin 1 goal, 1 assist, +1 (assisted on OT winner)

S_C
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

BladesofSteel wrote: Through 16 games, Schroeder has managed 2 goals, 5 points and is a -6 :shock:. Inconsistent start to the Wolves season,
It's safe to say that Schroeder won't mount to a hill of beans, damn well wish that Gillis had drafted Carter Ashton instead.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

RoyalDude wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote: Through 16 games, Schroeder has managed 2 goals, 5 points and is a -6 :shock:. Inconsistent start to the Wolves season,
It's safe to say that Schroeder won't mount to a hill of beans, damn well wish that Gillis had drafted Carter Ashton instead.
Well, he hasn't looked too promising, but the guy just turned 21 - why don't we reserve the bust judgement until he is at least 23 or 24? At one time he was expected to be selected in the top 5 of the 2009 draft!

S_C
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Saturday Nov 26

AHL

Peoria 3 Chicago 5
Lack 21 saves on 24 shots

Longpre, (5) (Connauton, Mancari)
Matheson, (2) (Reinprecht, Baumgartner) (PP)
Miller, (3)
Schroeder, (3) (Reinprecht, Rodin) (PP)
Schroeder, (4) (Rodin, Sweatt) (EN)

Steve Reinprecht's first game as a Wolf. Hmmm, Doell sitting out... Schroeder (and Rodin) still on the 2nd line. Schroeder was awarded a penalty shot in the first, but didn't score... turns out that he could've had a hat trick!

ECHL

Florida 1 Kalamazoo 2 (OT)
Ellington 0 points, even
Anthony 1 assist, even

NCAA

Minnesota 4 Michigan State 4 (OT)
Matson 1 assist, +1

Mercyhurst 2 Wisconsin 5
Labate 1 goal, 1 assist, even

QMJHL

Drummondville 5 Victoriaville 8
Honzik 29 saves on 34 shots

OHL

Niagara 4 Sarnia 2
Friesen 1 assist, +3

Sudbury 6 Barrie 5
Corrado 2 assists, +1

WHL

Calgary 8 Prince Albert 2
Tochkin 1 goal, +1

S_C
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Sunday Nov 27

AHL

Peoria 4 Chicago 0
Climie 27 saves on 31 shots

OK then.

QMJHL

Halifax 3 Moncton 4 (SO)
Hannay 0 points, -1
Grenier 1 goal, 1 assist, even (did not score on his shootout attempt)

OHL

Oshawa 1 Belleville 4
Jensen 0 points, -1

S_C
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I saw this snippet re Corrado Canucks Propspect
As for Corrado, he is having great year in jr and seems like he is improving all the time. He’s already an elite skate and has pretty top end skill, but this year his defensive game is coming around. The kid seems to be a natural leader and I predict he will be at Canada’s camp in the summer and push for a spot on next years team.
The scouts hit a home run with this guy, no wonder they were quick to sign him at the prospects camp.
cheers
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Fred wrote:I saw this snippet re Corrado Canucks Propspect
As for Corrado, he is having great year in jr and seems like he is improving all the time. He’s already an elite skate and has pretty top end skill, but this year his defensive game is coming around. The kid seems to be a natural leader and I predict he will be at Canada’s camp in the summer and push for a spot on next years team.
The scouts hit a home run with this guy, no wonder they were quick to sign him at the prospects camp.
That's a little premature don't you think?
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

BladesofSteel wrote:
Fred wrote:I saw this snippet re Corrado Canucks Propspect
That's a little premature don't you think?
Could be, but what I observed was a very mature hockey smart player. It might have been a blip and he might have played crummy after he left the Pros Camp but two things stick in my mind. The Canucks brass signed 2 players at the end of that camp Jensen and Corrado which indicates they see the same. Secondly this report seems to indicate that he's getting better and the author thinks he will make Team Canada camp next summer. Of course he may have peaked...hey who truly knows.
cheers