Prospects Thread 2011-12

Talk about your favorite prospects and the happenings of the Canucks AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Canucks.

Moderator: Referees

Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Prospects Thread 2011-12

Post by Southern_Canuck »

^^^ Yeah, I wonder how Marc-Andre Gragnani will turn out? Drafted in 2005 - 87th overall - selected AHL defenceman of the year (Eddie Shore Award) in 2011. Because of his defensive deficiencies he has been tried at left wing. He was the 5th QMJHL defenceman drafted in 2005 - Luc Bourdon was the 1st, drafted at 10th overall. (35th Marc-Edouard Vlasic, 49th Chad Denny, 62nd Kris Letang)

By the way, what's the fascination with hyphenated first names in Quebecois culture?

Friday April 27

AHL Playoffs

San Antonio 3 Chicago 2 (2OT)
Lack 34 saves on 37 shots

Hunt, (1) (Haydar, Reinprecht)
Haydar, (4) (Mancari)

Chicago elimated 2-3.

ECHL Eastern Conference Final

Florida 2 Kalamazoo 0
Archibald 0 points, even

Kalamazoo trails series 0-1

QMJHL Conference Final

Halifax 0 Rimouski 9
Hannay 0 points, even
Grenier 0 points, -2

Halifax trails series 2-3

OHL Conference Final

Ottawa 2 Niagara 3
Friesen 1 goal (8th, GWG), +1

Niagara wins series 4-1

S_C
Last edited by Southern_Canuck on Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's a great day for hockey!
Tanti09
CC Veteran

Post by Tanti09 »

Baby Nucks lose in double OT. Had a nice comeback down 2-0 mid way through the 3rd but fell short in the end. A long summer for all the Canuck organization to recoup and get ready for 2012-13.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Only 4 prospects left playing - Archibald, Hannay, Grenier, and Friesen.

Saturday April 28

Florida 2 Kalamazoo 3
Archibald 1 goal (1st), 1 assist, +2

Series tied 1-1

S_C
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Sunday April 29

QMJHL Conference Final

Rimouski 3 Halifax 2 (OT)
Hannay 0 points, even
Grenier 1 goal (4th), even

Halifax is eliminated 2-4

Hannay GP 17 G 0 A 0 P 0 PIM 20 +2
Grenier GP 17 G 4 A 12 P 16 PIM 19 -2

S_C
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

I don't know how the HF rates in terms of quality prospects ranking but they just released their top 10 wingers of the OHL and they have Jensen sitting in 7th.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Wednesday May 2

Kalamazoo 0 Florida 7
Archibald 0 points, even

OK then.

Kalamazoo trails series 1-2.

S_C
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Benjo wrote:I don't know how the HF rates in terms of quality prospects ranking but they just released their top 10 wingers of the OHL and they have Jensen sitting in 7th.
I read that, looks encouraging but either in that article or another there was a comment that he's players who's style may better fit the Pro game than junior. A shame he was injured when he was.
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Latest from Canuck Army

The majority of Vancouver’s top prospects have wrapped up their 2011- 12 campaigns. The organizational depth in goal is stronger than it has been at any point in franchise history, and there are some intriguing names both on defense and at forward too. How does the Canucks prospect group stack up heading in to the offseason? In Part one of this two part look at the organization’s best, I’ll reveal my top five.

To clarify, my cut-off for prospects is 50 NHL games of experience for skaters, and 25 games of NHL experience for goaltenders. I took many factors into consideration – risk and reward, the estimated time of arrival, potential fit on the 2012-13 roster, and more.

5. Joe Cannata

• Position: G
• 2011-12: Merrimack (NCAA)
• Upside: Starting goaltender
• ETA: 2015-16

Cannata helped put the Merrimack hockey program on the map all by himself. He’s likely going to follow a similar developmental path of fellow college goalie Cory Schneider, and the similarities don’t end there. Like Schneider, Cannata is known for his mental toughness and technical proficiency between the pipes. He will most likely back up Lack, or a veteran AHL tender, in Chicago next year, and he may never even suit up for the Canucks in a regular season game, as the talent ahead of him on the depth chart is tremendous. However, he is one of the better goalie prospects in the league, and is well-deserving of the fifth spot on the organizational depth chart.

4. Kevin Connauton

• Position: D
• 2011-12: Chicago (AHL)
• Upside: Second-pairing defenseman
• ETA: 2013-14

Connauton’s defensive game is still a work in progress, but he has improved dramatically in his play away from the puck since turning professional two seasons ago. His game has improved in particular under Craig MacTavish. MacTavish has encouraged Connauton to employ his strengths (skating and shooting) while shoring up his weaknesses. The Canucks have several offensive prospects on the back end (including college standout Patrick McNally, recent OHL Defenseman of the Year finalist Frank Corrado), but Connauton is the closest to NHL action.

3. Jordan Schroeder

• Position: C
• 2011-12: Chicago (AHL)
• Upside: Second Line Centre
• ETA: First call up in 2012-13

The skilled American pivot has been tried unsuccessfully on the wing. If he makes it as an NHLer, it will be up the middle or not at all. His numbers improved considerably in his sophomore AHL campaign – 10 goals to 21, and 28 points to 44, but he still has yet to ‘dominate’ at the AHL level, something that the Canucks were hoping for. Schroeder's play both with and without the puck has improved considerably.

I wrote a piece on Schroeder back in February, and my thought process remains the same – he is NHL ready.

2. Nicklas Jensen

• Position: RW
• 2011-12: Oshawa (OHL)
• Upside: Top-line Playmaker
• ETA:2013-2014

Jensen’s strong preseason and training camp last fall were a bit of a surprise to many. I guess Canucks fans have gotten used to the team's prospects disappointing each fall. But Jensen didn’t look out of place against NHL competition, using his size, strength, and vision to create several offensive opportunities.

The Canucks aren’t in a position where they need to rush him, but he may force their hand with another strong training camp. Jensen thrived in the AHL after getting the call up for the end of the season (including a hat trick in the final regular season game). Why?

“It's a different, it's quicker and it's more grown up professional hockey than you see in the OHL. There, you still see some junior guys running around and chasing the puck a little bit too much. Over here, it's more system. I like this style; it suits me a little better.”

With a strong camp, he could push for a roster spot this fall. It is more likely that he spends another year in the OHL before making the jump to the pro game, though.

1. Eddie Lack

• Position: G
• 2011-12: Chicago
• Upside: Starting goaltender
• ETA: 2013-14 (as a backup)

The Canucks signed the 6,7 Lack as a free agent out of Sweden, and his adjustment to the North American game has been exceptionally quick. For the past two seasons, he has been one of the best goaltenders in the AHL. He is big and mobile, and his weaknesses are few. There are mixed opinions on how ready Lack is. Chicago GM Wendell Young thinks he could be in the NHL as early as 2012-13. Chicago captain Nolan Baumgartner, on the other hand, has a different opinion:

““He’s probably a year or possibly two away. He still has some learning to do and there’s no better place than the AHL. To go and back up somebody, I think it would be detrimental for him to be sitting on the bench most of the year and not get in games.”

Who knows… in six or seven years we could be kicking Cory Schneider off to replace a 40-year-old Roberto Luongo in Tampa Bay, clearing space for Lack to come in and start. Kidding aside, Lack is going to be a very good NHL goaltender in the not-too-distant future.
cheers
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

^Surprised Anton Rodin didn't make that list over Cannata, who has yet to prove himself at the professional level...

Thursday May 3

Kalamazoo 3 Florida 7
Archibald 1 goal (2nd), even

Kalamazoo trails series 1-3

OHL Finals

Niagara 3 London 2 (2OT)
Friesen 1 assist, +2

Niagara leads series 1-0

Friesen GP 16 G 8 A 14 P 22 PIM 12 +7

S_C
Last edited by Southern_Canuck on Sun May 06, 2012 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Southern_Canuck wrote:^Surprised Anton Rodin didn't make that list over Cannata, who has yet to prove himself at the professional level...

S_C
Merrimack has been a joke in the NCAA for so long for one player to come along and make the imapct he did ....pretty spectacular. I heard MG say Rodin has had some difficulty adjusting to living in NA but feels he should be better next season. He also said that Rodin of all the players had the best top end pure skill
cheers
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Saturday May 5

Kalamazoo 1 Florida 3
Archibald 0 points, -1

Kalamazoo eliminated 1-4, that's it for Archibald, and now Friesen is the only Canuck prospect still playing.

OHL Final

London 5 Niagara 3
Friesen 0 points, +1

Series tied 1-1

S_C
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Monday May 7

OHL Finals

Niagara 2 London 3
Friesen 0 points, even

Niagara trails series 1-2

S_C
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Wednesday May 9

OHL Final

London 4 Niagara 1
Friesen 0 points, -1

Niagara trails series 1-3...!

S_C
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

cheers
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Friday May 11

OHL Final

Niagara 1 London 2
Friesen 0 points, even

Niagara is eliminated 1-4

Well that's it folks - all of the Canuck prospects are done for the year!

Now on to the NHL Draft June 22 in Pittsburgh.

S_C