2015-16 Utica Comets

Talk about your favorite prospects and the happenings of the Canucks AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Canucks.

Moderator: Referees

Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: 2015-16 Utica Comets

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Bo was 0'fer in his first handful of games in the A as well (though he showed better at camp than Cass)…wouldn't worry too much about the numbers at this point.

Shink could be a replacement for Sven but I don't see that happening as long as Jake and Jared are in the line up. With Gaunce in the mix, that's way too many rooks to have in a lineup..even if they all deserve it. There's no danger in waiting for Shink. Do it the right way, let him learn the pro game in the A, produce and hold that feeling for a full season. The same would apply to Gaunce if Prust didn't get hurt, but he'll be back down soon enough once Higs returns.

The beauty is if either or both of the J's start to hit a wall and play dips by World Juniors or the 40 game mark, they can be loaned or sent back, and by then Gaunce and Shink would have another half a season of experience in the pros and can more readily step in. Replace two rookies with two, more experienced rookies…we keep the youth movement going…what an ideal situation. If the J's stick the full year like Bo did last year, no prob, we initiate another rookie or two next year when they should be far more ready.

Of course, this also depends on managements' plans for the vets with expiring contracts come deadline.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

Nuckertuzzi wrote:Bo was 0'fer in his first handful of games in the A as well (though he showed better at camp than Cass)…wouldn't worry too much about the numbers at this point.

Shink could be a replacement for Sven but I don't see that happening as long as Jake and Jared are in the line up. With Gaunce in the mix, that's way too many rooks to have in a lineup..even if they all deserve it. There's no danger in waiting for Shink. Do it the right way, let him learn the pro game in the A, produce and hold that feeling for a full season. The same would apply to Gaunce if Prust didn't get hurt, but he'll be back down soon enough once Higs returns.

The beauty is if either or both of the J's start to hit a wall and play dips by World Juniors or the 40 game mark, they can be loaned or sent back, and by then Gaunce and Shink would have another half a season of experience in the pros and can more readily step in. Replace two rookies with two, more experienced rookies…we keep the youth movement going…what an ideal situation. If the J's stick the full year like Bo did last year, no prob, we initiate another rookie or two next year when they should be far more ready.

Of course, this also depends on managements' plans for the vets with expiring contracts come deadline.
This is really good stuff you are writing about. I am starting to see the plan by management. The only real concern I have is with D. Do you see any prospects currently playing in the A that might step up? If you do follow the AHL are there any good prospects we might trade for?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

damonberryman wrote:This is really good stuff you are writing about. I am starting to see the plan by management. The only real concern I have is with D. Do you see any prospects currently playing in the A that might step up? If you do follow the AHL are there any good prospects we might trade for?
LOL

While Doc and I have been looking at the bright future, most here cowered fearing the light at the end of the tunnel was an oncoming train driven by Jim Benning.

Benning is a Genius
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Given the surgery Linden/Benning performed the previous summer, they deserved the benefit of doubt. I wasn't one of those bitching about the moves this summer, mostly because I'm a draftist and taking a step backwards was music to my ears, but it is interesting to see that they had a clear plan for this year - though no one could see it - and so far it's coming into place. Albeit I'm sure neither Benning or Linden in their wildest imagination could've expected the early success of the young'uns..maybe one but certainly not all three of Ben, Jared and Jake. Even Miller, though he was a safer bet.

I'm still very much a draftist but as long as the young'uns are a big part of the wins and continue to be, then of course I'm tickled about the early success and hope it keeps going. Just couldn't stand the staleness of the past 3-4 years anymore..so nice to see it gone, at least for the time being.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Lol...
Is that Wids in the bottom corner?
If you need air...call it in
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

left or right?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

:lol:
Topper wrote:left or right?
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lol McCann and Virtanen have impressed so far and good on Elmer but he had zero to do with Hutton , Horvat , Gaunce , Kenins or Shinkaruk. The contracts of Sutter and Sbisa are worrisome down the road . Miller has been up and down like a whores pants for three seasons now so I will wait before claiming he's back to 2010 form.

Chris Tanev has turned into a bona fide top 20 NHL d man - also nothing to do with Elmer .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Lol McCann and Virtanen have impressed so far and good on Elmer but he had zero to do with Hutton , Horvat , Gaunce , Kenins or Shinkaruk. The contracts of Sutter and Sbisa are worrisome down the road . Miller has been up and down like a whores pants for three seasons now so I will wait before claiming he's back to 2010 form.

Chris Tanev has turned into a bona fide top 20 NHL d man - also nothing to do with Elmer .
I call BS.

Sutter and Sbisa are looking less worrisome as we see more of them. Really like what Sutter brings and as he gets more comfortable he'll likely get better. I want to see his level of compete come playoff time. Miller has been fine and looks great right now, again lets see in the playoffs though.

Benning is helping to create an environment for these guys to succeed. Horvat could've been sent back to junior, or traded for that matter, the kids in Utica could've been buried by vets and not given the ice they need to develop.

He's gotten rid of the fat and is bringing in players that work their ass off and play a more consistent game. He made some great adjustments even this offseason after watching a colossal failure in our playoff series vs the Flames. He didn't stand pat, guys that didn't show were punted, even if they were players he acquired.

You can't simply ignore how changing the environment within the Canucks has helped us see results out of the farm.

What I really like is he won't make excuses, he assesses everything and makes changes he thinks he needs to.

Benning is Brilliant! :mrgreen:
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

To make any decsision good or bad on Sutter at this point is ridiculous, we need to wait at least a full season and see how he starts next year.

Sbisa - the problem is that they didn't need to rush his contract, they could of waited before making that long of an offer. they could have done a bridge agreement first. There is a risk that he may go all Orr on the team but that was highly unlikely given his past.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

That Kesler trade is looking better and better ....

I really believe he was addition by subtraction, and would not have been a positive influence on the new crop.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: To make any decsision good or bad on Sutter at this point is ridiculous, we need to wait at least a full season and see how he starts next year.
Well Benning had to make a decision on Sutter this past summer or lose him to UFAgency.

But Benning is a genius, so no problem there...
Reefer2 wrote: Sbisa - the problem is that they didn't need to rush his contract, they could of waited before making that long of an offer. they could have done a bridge agreement first.
Couldn't do a "bridge agreement" with a player who was set to be a UFA in one year.

I've been through this a few times.

Benning could have walked away from Sbisa last summer

... or could have signed him to one-year $2.9M deal and let become a UFA at the end of that.

One way or another, Benning had to "overpay" Sbisa or lose him for nothing.

Benning feels Sbisa is the kind of guy you want on a rebuilding team which wouldn't mind making the playoffs now.

And who is anyone to say he's wrong amirite? :mex:

Morale is high, young players are coming up, team is once again on a 100-point pace...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

I liked the Sutter trade and he's a big upgrade on bitchtits Bonino. Sbisa, on he other hand, is fucking garbage and possibly the most unnecessarily overpaid player in the NHL.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote:Sbisa, on he other hand, is fucking garbage and possibly the most unnecessarily overpaid player in the NHL.
I am on record as preferring Canucks walk away from Sbisa.

But then my IQ-level is only 190.

Yeah, I think at this point we need to just trust Benning.

Benning could have spent his life proving the Earth is actually hollow

.... but he chose to build championship teams instead.

And you know what?

I'm glad.
____
Try to focus on someday.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

Topper wrote:left or right?
:shock: