Falling Comets

Talk about your favorite prospects and the happenings of the Canucks AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Canucks.

Moderator: Referees

BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Falling Comets

Post by BurningBeard »

I'd be the first to admit I don't know much about what's going on in Utica... but, what's going on in Utica?

2 wins in 12 games (6 points), worst record in the entire league? Even Booth couldn't bring this record around. :P

The Chicago Wolves didn't have a great season in the AHL last year, and I know it's not fair to compare the two teams directly, but does anyone actually watch those games and have some intelligent insight into things?
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
herb
CC Legend

Re: Falling Comets

Post by herb »

BB, they are on a two game winning streak...give them a break!

I don’t know a whole lot about the team, but some things to note are:
- It’s the team’s first year.
- They have a rookie head coach and inexperienced assistant coaches.
Both goaltenders are rookies.
- Our prospects suck. I mean there look to be some promising ones in the CHL, but aside from Corrado we certainly do not have a stable of AHL prospects who are expected to be future NHL players.
- Unlike those Manitoba Moose teams that were pretty decent, the Comets don’t have any wily vets like Keane or Baumgartner to stabilize the group.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Dont forget all the call ups.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

HFBoards poster UticaHockey posted this article over there a few days back..

Link
UTICA —
There is a fine line, Utica Comets coach Travis Green says, between winning and losing in the American Hockey League.
The Comets finally crossed it – to the good side – last weekend.
The Comets started their first AHL season 0-8-1-1, coming within an eye-lash of that elusive first win a couple of times. After losing 4-0 – not by an eyelash – to the Lake Erie Monsters in Cleveland last Thursday, they came back to edge the Monsters 3-2 last Friday, then made it two in a row with a 3-1 win Sunday over the Bulldogs in Hamilton.
“I think our team is learning how they’re going to have to play to win hockey games,” Green said. “They are learning how little things make a big impact. … There are little details, little areas in the hockey game that make a difference.
“Our defense has played a lot better. The goaltending has been a lot better. Our wingers have been playing a lot better on the walls in our end.”

[Comets captain Colin Stuart] agreed the Comets weren’t at their best in the Thursday loss to Lake Erie.
“We weren’t happy with it,” said the former National Hockey League forward. “We did some good things. We knew we were due. The magic ingredient is hard work. If we outwork the other team, we’re going to come out with a win, or be close.”
Stuart said if anything was different, it was just that all the pieces finally came together.
“There has been a concentrated 60 minutes of effort the last two games,” he said. “We were controlling the pace, which we have to do to win.”
That – playing with speed, making good decisions, playing well without the puck – is something Green has emphasized, and thinks the players are becoming accustomed to.
“You have to get outside your comfort zone,” he said. “Battle harder, competing maybe to the point you are uncomfortable.”
Green also said the addition the last three games of veteran Kent Huskins, a former Clarkson University star and a Stanley Cup winner with the Anaheim Ducks, has helped solidify the defense. With Huskins here on a tryout, Yann Sauve has been a healthy scratch the last two games, but Green feels that can be a plus for the young defenseman.
“Sometimes sitting out is a wakeup call,” Green said. “I sat out Peter Andersson and Patrick Mullen, and they responded with their best games. … I feel sitting back and watching can be a good thing.”
From what I've read (posted by people who watch the games) the goaltending has been disappointing, some key veterans (Hamill) have been pretty bad and some of our older prospects (Sauve in particular) have been just awful.

I think it's worth pointing out we have a ton of project types who are in their first or second year of pro hockey.. Tommernes, Blomstrand, Mallet, Grenier, Lain, Eriksson, Friesen, etc. The only real blue chip types are Corrado (who has by all accounts been good) and Jensen who has been injured and doesn't seem to be adjusting well to the AHL.. and he's probably a project anyway (if he's not scoring he's simply not effective).

Furthermore with regards to the organization's drafting we've also dealt a ton of picks away and used a fairly high number on long term projects headed into the NCAA.. McNally, Beattie, Hutton, etc. None of that helps our AHL affiliate right now.

I don't know if they have it in them to be a top AHL team but they are cetainly "finding their way" right now and it's not an easy task by any stretch of the imagination.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

For what it's worth the Comets have now won six of eight.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

dbr wrote:For what it's worth the Comets have now won six of eight.
I blame Gillis.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Ole BurningBeard there sounds like he has a right proper boner for the players agent
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

RoyalDude wrote:Ole BurningBeard there sounds like he has a right proper boner for the players agent
I lost out on Scarlet Johansen and Evander Kane in the other thread, and this is all I have left. Please don't take this from me...