Prospects Thread 2013-14

Talk about your favorite prospects and the happenings of the Canucks AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Canucks.

Moderator: Referees

Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Prospects Thread 2013-14

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Who knows what the future holds for Cederholm? Didn't contribute much to scoring, so it is difficult to tell if he has enough puck-moving skills to make it. Seems like he has the stay-at-home defenceman thing down, however...

Wed May 21

Memorial Cup

London 2 Guelph 7
Horvat 0 points, -1

Well, no surprise - the host team eliminated again in the Memorial Cup.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Bo Horvat certainly doesn't look like an NHL skater next season. Let him play another year and play in the WJC again. He looks like he'll be a decent player down the road but there is no reason to rush the kid into the lineup just for the sake of getting younger. Sign a stop gap like Santorelli on a two year deal and let the kid develop at his own pace. He is built like a horse but I'm not seeing an NHL skating stride as of yet. Though unlike the slug Brendan Gaunce he moves a little easier on the ice, so down the road his speed should not be an issue.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Bo Horvat certainly doesn't look like an NHL skater next season.... He is built like a horse but I'm not seeing an NHL skating stride as of yet. Though unlike the slug Brendan Gaunce he moves a little easier on the ice, so down the road his speed should not be an issue.
Check out these highlights - from about the 2:30 mark you see some of his skating:

Seems like he has pretty decent acceleration at least, and as expected he looks pretty strong on his skates with a wide stance a lot of the time.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Bo Horvat certainly doesn't look like an NHL skater next season. Let him play another year and play in the WJC again. He looks like he'll be a decent player down the road but there is no reason to rush the kid into the lineup just for the sake of getting younger. Sign a stop gap like Santorelli on a two year deal and let the kid develop at his own pace. He is built like a horse but I'm not seeing an NHL skating stride as of yet. Though unlike the slug Brendan Gaunce he moves a little easier on the ice, so down the road his speed should not be an issue.
I think it really depends on what he can accomplish in Junior next season. He's already one of the better players in that league, and I'm not sure how much developing he'd do. Training with the NHL trainers, building confidence and experience at the next level might be the best thing for him.

I'm fine with sending him back if he's not ready, but I'd expect him to get 9 games, and he can play up to 40 games before it counts as a "season" for the purposes of UFA status (which is far more important than the 9 games/ELC limit).
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Looks like we may have something in Eriksson. Not overly celebrated but perhaps a dark horse in a couple of seasons. His lateral movement, leg agility & glove hand are all exceptional. Needs more seasoning but not a bad #3 to have.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Southern_Canuck wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Bo Horvat certainly doesn't look like an NHL skater next season.... He is built like a horse but I'm not seeing an NHL skating stride as of yet. Though unlike the slug Brendan Gaunce he moves a little easier on the ice, so down the road his speed should not be an issue.
Check out these highlights - from about the 2:30 mark you see some of his skating:

Seems like he has pretty decent acceleration at least, and as expected he looks pretty strong on his skates with a wide stance a lot of the time.

S_C
What's always impressed me abo Bo is the soft hands & patience/fight he shows in extremely close quarters. Never afraid to go to the tough areas, he's not just a mucker/grinder. Very smart player.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy