Prospects Thread 2013-14

Talk about your favorite prospects and the happenings of the Canucks AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Canucks.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Prospects Thread 2013-14

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Shinkaruk is having a shite season, numbers wise. I know he's had injury problems but dude, start fucking putting points up, if you ain't doing that you are no good to us.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote:Shinkaruk is having a shite season, numbers wise. I know he's had injury problems but dude, start fucking putting points up, if you ain't doing that you are no good to us.
A player scoring goals in the CHL is going to help the Canucks score goals this season? Neat-O!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Shinkaruk is having a shite season, numbers wise. I know he's had injury problems but dude, start fucking putting points up, if you ain't doing that you are no good to us.
A player scoring goals in the CHL is going to help the Canucks score goals this season? Neat-O!
Fuck are you dense
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Over the last couple of days I've made it through the OHL-Russia game played the other night.

One Russia first goal, BoHo was doing a damn fine CoHo as he was caught watching. By the end of the third, as Hunter had the kids going for it, Horvat was moved to the top line and later played on a line with his Knights team mates. He was a team worst -3 with the goals coming on great passing fast break Russia Sedinary plays.

Gaunce was steady and that is the best and worst I can say about him.

Both Gaunce and Horvat wore A's.

Given that the team was assembled the night before and only had a morning skate to work together, and it showed, Monday's game should be a better display.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Sat Nov 23

AHL

Rochester 0 Utica 2
Eriksson 33 saves on 33 shots (selected 1st star)

Weber, (1) (Tommernes, Pelletier) (PP)
Archibald, (2) (Grenier, Andersson)

ECHL

Kalamazoo 2 Elmira 0
Blain 0 points, +1
Blomstrand 1 goal (3rd), +1 (selected 2nd star)
Polasek 1 assist, +1

NCAA

Yale 1 Cornell 2
Beattie 0 points, even

Boston College 1 Maine 5
Hutton 2 goals (5th, 6th), +4 (selected 1st star)

OHL

Windsor 0 London 4
Liberati did not play
Horvat 1 goal (11th), 1 assist, +1

Belleville 3 Owen Sound 4
Subban 0 points, even
Gaunce 2 assists, even

WHL

Regina 1 Medicine Hat 5
Shinkaruk 0 points, even

Portland 4 Seattle 5 (OT)
Cederholm 0 points, -3

S_C
Last edited by Southern_Canuck on Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
It's a great day for hockey!
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Not to pile on - but I did hear a concerning couple of comments made by Don Hay on my way to watch the Giants vs. Tigers game a few nights back.

I can't quite remember the exact quote - but to paraphrase - after he was asked how to shut down the first rounder - he commented that Shinkaruk wasn't playing great hockey, that he didn't play well within a team system and he wasn't sure if/when or at all he would be ready to take the next step. Still had some work to do on his game.

Usually in these cases, aren't coaches either just going to say "He's a good player, good skill, etc etc blah blah blah. Hay seemed to go out of his way to criticize him without saying anything terrible outright.

My opinion on the way he played wasn't great. Definitely one of the best skaters out there, but looked far to much like Mason Raymond. Take it down the wing, shoot from an odd angle and then lazily backcheck. He sparked a line-brawl that the end of the game by spearing one of the Giants, and promptly got his lunch handed to him.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Fuck are you dense
Don't you know? It's not about stats, it's about the PROCESS. :mex:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Shinkaruk is gonna struggle to make the grade. Small and slight player, a lot of similarities between him and Raymond

MayRay - 6'0 185 lbs

Shink 5'11" 180 lbs

I think the Ontario 3 - Horvat, Gaunce and Cassels have a better chance of making the grade
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I notice cole Cassels hasn't played the last two games. Should we give him his dads name? Cole Glassels
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

^^^ yeah, I'm not sure what happened to Cassels, there isn't an injury report on the Oshawa Generals page

Sun Nov 24

ECHL

Kalamazoo 1 Elmira 2
Blain did not play
Blomstrand 1 goal (4th), +1
Polasek 0 points, even

OHL

Mississauga 5 Kingston 7
McEneny 1 assist, +2

Barrie 5 Oshawa 3
Cassels did not play

S_C
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Missed this:

Knights Trade Liberati, Add Bell

Nov 19, 2013
"London Knights General Manager Mark Hunter announced today that the team has traded defenseman Miles Liberati to the North Bay Battalion in exchange for overage defenseman Zach Bell…"

S_C
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

Subway Super Series, OHL vs Russian Juniors - game 2:

This afternoon @4PM PST on Sportsnet Pacific.

An opportunity to watch Horvat & Gaunce in action.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

Horvat's poor coverage in front of the net results in a Russian goal in the first period. :(
Then Horvat scores a nice goal in the second. :)
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Mon Nov 26

CHL Super Series

OHL 2 Russia 3 (SO)
Horvat 1 goal, +1 (did not score on his shootout attempt)
Gaunce 0 points, even

S_C
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Tue Nov 26

AHL

Lake Erie 3 Utica 2
Eriksson 23 saves on 26 shots

DeFazio, (2) (O'Reilly)
Tommernes, (3) (Pelletier, Weber) (PP)

NCAA

Harvard 6 New Hampshire 3
McNally 1 goal (1st), 2 assists, +1

Also, Liberati isn't the only OHL Canuck prospect getting traded:

Otters Acquire Brendan Gaunce from Belleville

excerpt:
The Erie Otters General Manager and Owner Sherry Bassin has announced that the team has acquired forward Brendan Gaunce from the Belleville Bulls in exchange for Stephen Harper and draft picks.

“Pleased to get a high profile player in Brendan Gaunce,” said Sherry Bassin. “Brendan plays both ends of the ice. He shares the puck and understands how to accept responsibity.”

Brendan Gaunce, a 6’2”, 215 pound center from Markham, Ontario has played his entire Ontario Hockey League career with the Bulls, serving as their captain this season and last. He recently served as an alternate captain for Team Ontario in the Subway Super Series against Team Russia.
The former second overall pick in the 2010 OHL Priority Selection has recorded 82 goals and 108 assists for 190 points in 215 career games played in the OHL. Gaunce was selected by the Vancouver Canucks in the first round of the 2012 National Hockey League Entry Draft. The Otters will receive Mississauga’s fifth round pick in 2014 the transaction.

S_C